Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have some time to install my X25 (g2) today and i was wondering is there anything I should know before installing?
I will be installing Win 7 Ult on it.

I hear things about AHCI mode, firmware and the AHCI 1.0 driver.

Should I be considering any of these? Or will I be okay just plugging it in and installing it like a normal HDD?

Thanks for any help..

·
Old Timers Unite
1,198 Posts
AHCI mode is a definite do, I'm pretty sure you need it in this mode for TRIM to work correctly. Aslo the firmware update is a very good idea as well. The intel update utility is very easy to use

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yes you do it from within the BIOS - You just change your type from IDE/SATA to ACHI mode then make sure your boot priority for your drives is correct and all should be well.

You will see windows start installing drivers for the drives and then ask you to reboot.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I use my SSD's for my OS and applications and then use a separate mechanical drive for storage. I have two Intel 80Gb Gen 1 drives in RAID 0 and with the OS, Office 2007 Ultimate, various programs and games I still have about 98Gb of space left out of roughly 150Gb. There are some good guides over on OCZ's website for their SSD's and you could use them to setup your Intel drive, but I didn't find it necessary with W7, it knew how to handle the SSD with the exception of me having to turn off defrag. Some will tell you to move the swap file to another drive, but since I have 6Gb of ram I do not use a swap file. Pretty much the Intel drives were plug and play.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys.
+rep

I couldn't find an ACHI mode in my BIOS but my SSD is still rocking out in Win 7. Everything is so much snapper then my raid 0 blacks were. Office is just like instant open and so is photoshop

I have a few steam games installed and the load times are just great. I see a difference compared to my raid 0. Only thing is now I'm sitting with about 33GB free space and wondering if I am going to need more space. May need to buy another for a raid 0 but my wallet is going to be mad at me.

Here's another bench with all all my apps installed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice bench, my intel is about the same. But why did you install Office on your SSD? Most Office programs load instantly anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kRze.baLLiN!
View Post

So I finally have some time to install my X25 (g2) today and i was wondering is there anything I should know before installing?
I will be installing Win 7 Ult on it.

I hear things about AHCI mode, firmware and the AHCI 1.0 driver.

Should I be considering any of these? Or will I be okay just plugging it in and installing it like a normal HDD?

Thanks for any help..

ACHI Mode gives slight improvement over IDE but you wont notice it.If your BIOS has ACHI available you can switch between IDE Mode and ACHI Mode using the following points:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Ser vic es\\Msahci
5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
STEP 8. REBOOT and ENABLE ACHI IN YOUR BIOS and RESTART again

Also use this tweak guide tio get the best out of your new SSD.Check it out:;

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post442158

Remember you never have to defrag your SSD.Thats an advantage over conventional hard drives plus it runs much cooler and is super quiet.
Enjoy your SSD.I sure am.

• Rep+
Reactions: kRze.baLLiN!

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LooN!
View Post

Nice bench, my intel is about the same. But why did you install Office on your SSD? Most Office programs load instantly anyways.

M$ office apps do not load instantly from regular hard drives. They are some of the most "bloated" programs out there. Putting them on the SSD makes a *huge* difference when you're working in multiple apps all day long, especially if you're opening/closing apps as you flip between document types.
..a

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
M$ office apps do not load instantly from regular hard drives. They are some of the most "bloated" programs out there. Putting them on the SSD makes a *huge* difference when you're working in multiple apps all day long, especially if you're opening/closing apps as you flip between document types.
..a
This.

My girlfriend and I use Office + other apps all night for school work. Having Office on my SSD really shows an improvement in speed. At least to me..

Thanks for the info, pm1109.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWellington
View Post

Is it possible to run the SSD in ACHI mode, when you have a seperate set of HDDs running in RAID configuration?

NVIDIA controllers do not support the full AHCI feature set so the option is not called AHCI in the BIOS.

A single controller can only be set in one mode. For Intel, RAID mode also includes ACHI mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts