Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of running a duct from the intake on my H50 (which is in push/pull) to one of the intakes on my Twelve Hundred. It has a fan filter on the intake, so dust wont be an issue, and I'm going to have positive (slightly) or equal air pressure in the duct itself.

All the fans are 120mm, and my question is, should I opt for 120mm ducting, or 80mm ducting with adapters, or somewhere in between? My reasoning for this, is that if I go the 120mm route, I believe that the actual air speed inside the duct will be somewhat low (I may be wrong). We all know stagnant air is bad when it comes to PC cooling. I'm bringing 80mm into the equation because I believe the air would be channeled into the duct much as a pressure washer would work, a large volume of air/water forced through narrow tubing means that it moves rather fast and with a lot of pressure.

Granted I'm not expecting my PC to start flying away from my desk due to insane air pressure, but I was wondering if it would aid/diminish cooling, or if I should duct at all.

Any input?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeifer
View Post

So just add a side panel fan?

I like that idea much better. I think you'd see better results.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Do it! If it doesn't pan out, then you're out a little bit of time and money, but if it does work, it could be awesome, AND look cool

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Im with arbalest on this one, give it a shot, I have had similar thoughts in the past but was gonna try to fab my own duct work and couldnt find anything at the local hardware store that would work. That being said, with the way air pressures work, I would use 80mm to make sure you dont have a tube with a bunch of dead air being heated by the ambient temps inside the case.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911
View Post

I have done ducting and helps minorly.

How'd you do it? Pics?

There is SOME science to ducting, so you have to take that into consideration!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Duct tape and coke 24 pack test.

Cut big side off coke case. roll to 80 MM and tape it in position, cut to length.

install and tape to fans, or use 1 gallon , 1/2 gallon, or pint milk jugs to make shrouds.

repeat test with 120 mm tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts