Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for a box able to run a lot of virtual machine. AMD is the clear winner with it's great amount of cores at a little price.

I don't need a lot of GPU muscle so I can skip on a discrete card but enough to need the "best" IGPU from AMD.

Of course, more core, better I tried to find a chart with the CPU spec w/ IGPU details but haven't found any.
frown.gif

Imagine I have the mobo, the CPU (slightly overclocked) & ram. Could a 200-300w PSU be enough?

·
Registered
329 Posts
AMD's iGPUs are their APUs. So, you want to look at their A10 line.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
None of the FX chips have integrated GPUs. Only desktop AMD chips you will find with IGPs are either on the FM1 or FM2 platforms which are limited to a maximum of 4 cores.

Also to be on the safe side with FX 8 core chips I'd go with a 450-500W since you will have to add the GPU (this is assuming you overclock).

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was like intel
redface.gif

Well, I will throw a very cheap GPU on it then. 125W for the CPU (let's say 200W with OC) and 150W rest, 350W? Seems good to me.
Do you know any cheap but good mobo? I want to get a good overclock out of it. I won't water cool tho so nothing above average like 4.4-4.5GHz should be plenty enough.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

I thought it was like intel
redface.gif

Well, I will throw a very cheap GPU on it then. 125W for the CPU (let's say 200W with OC) and 150W rest, 350W? Seems good to me.
Do you know any cheap but good mobo? I want to get a good overclock out of it. I won't water cool tho so nothing above average like 4.4-4.5GHz should be plenty enough.
This is the cheapest AM3+ board I could recommend.

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

You go any cheaper and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of overclocking.

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
I gave up on Biostar. I gave them a chance once with a AM3+ board. First one broke in less than month, RMA'd, sent me back a different broken board, RMA'd, replacement lasted two weeks. Smashed it with a hammer. Might have been bad luck but when I hear "Biostar" I cringe.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=78100&vpn=M5A97%20R2%2E0%26FX-8150&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals&promoid=1302
What do you think?
The gigabyte board is too expensive for my money... I will wait for a combo 250$ max and absolute max 300$.
the previously suggested biostar boards are good, AND the m5a97 is good but don't get the 8150. you want vishera. much better CPUs. 8320 or 8350

the asrock 970 extreme 3 or extreme 4

or an asrock 770 icafe would be the cheapest board that could oc a bit.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickg1 View Post

I gave up on Biostar. I gave them a chance once with a AM3+ board. First one broke in less than month, RMA'd, sent me back a different broken board, RMA'd, replacement lasted two weeks. Smashed it with a hammer. Might have been bad luck but when I hear "Biostar" I cringe.
Well I have tested a Biostar TA990FXE. This mobo works great and I have it sitting on my desk. Only the T-series I would use.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,374 Posts
TA990FXE was a good board to me too. Biostar has always been a better alternative to AsRock up until recently when AsRock started doing better. Still running along fine in my girlfriends build.

First Biostar board was a TForce 6100 socket 754 board. Owned the 939 TForce and kept up with the DFI LanParties and one of the only mATX boards that did 300+ FSB back then.

Nostalgia'd
biggrin.gif

Biostars RMA process is horrible though.

My FX-8320 is on VM duty too. Does great
biggrin.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts