Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Intel original motherboard 915GAV and P4 3.2 GHz HT.
Even when idle the temperature of the processor is 55 degrees and when on load it almost reaches 71 degrees. I tried a lot to suppress the heat but in vain. What should i do to avoid it? Is it normal, which i dont think is? Can u tell me any way by which i can underclock it? Plzz reply, coz i just bought it from my own pocket money!!!!! Right now i do not have any graphic card installed. will that help me reduce the overall temperature???
coz all the main display work is done by the cpu itself?????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by santosh86

Even when idle the temperature of the processor is 55 degrees and when on load it almost reaches 71 degrees. I tried a lot to suppress the heat but in vain. What should i do to avoid it? Is it normal, which i dont think is? Can u tell me any way by which i can underclock it? Plzz reply, coz i just bought it from my own pocket money!!!!!

Got the P4 3.2Ghz prescot see below and had it oc'ed to 3.7Ghz on standard cooling with no problems.

Not seen temps above 49c loaded.

What case you got and cooling. have you used paste between cpu and hs!!!

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Even when idle the temperature of the processor is 55 degrees and when on load it almost reaches 71 degrees. I tried a lot to suppress the heat but in vain. What should i do to avoid it? Is it normal, which i dont think is? Can u tell me any way by which i can underclock it? Plzz reply, coz i just bought it from my own pocket money!!!!!

* Make sure the heatsink is installed correctly, and it is making proper contact with the CPU.
* If you are using the stock Intel heatsink, ditch it and buy a better one
* Make sure you have put thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink
* Check in the BIOS that your CPU is running at the correct voltage (1.4v)
* Check the temperature manually with a digital therm.
* Update your motherboard BIOS to see if this improves temp. readings.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quickest and easiest possible solution: update BIOS.

Least expensive solution, after updating BIOS (but, does require spending some money): a) pull the stock heatsink, b) scrape the stock thermal goop off of the bottom of the heatsink and top of processor, c) clean both surfaces thorougly w/ 90%+ purity isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel (a lint-free cloth is recommended, but a paper towel will do), d) apply some Arctic Silver 5, and e) re-seat the heatsink

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
thats not norm temps, wats ur surrounding temp - did u place the hsf correctly , did u use 2 much thermal paste or di u use the thermal pad (this could explain it)

·
Registered
55 Posts
noone here mentions lapping the heatsink together with the CPU as a pair. It works miracles.(along with a hint of Arctic Silver 5 of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
* Make sure the heatsink is installed correctly, and it is making proper contact with the CPU.
* If you are using the stock Intel heatsink, ditch it and buy a better one
* Make sure you have put thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink
* Check in the BIOS that your CPU is running at the correct voltage (1.4v)
* Check the temperature manually with a digital therm.
* Update your motherboard BIOS to see if this improves temp. readings.
the heat sink installed is fine. i'm using the intel provided heat sink. do we get other heat sinks? cpu voltage is 1.294v. i have the updated BIOS. ok i'll try to apply the arctic silver heat transfer compound. thank u for ur help!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao
thats not norm temps, wats ur surrounding temp - did u place the hsf correctly , did u use 2 much thermal paste or di u use the thermal pad (this could explain it)
infact i have used very little heat transfer compound i mean the correct amount. surrounding temperature here is around 28 - 31 degrees.
is thermal pad good or heat transfer compound. which is a good thermal compound. i have the heat sink which intel provided.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:

infact i have used very little heat transfer compound i mean the correct amount. surrounding temperature here is around 28 - 31 degrees.
is thermal pad good or heat transfer compound. which is a good thermal compound. i have the heat sink which intel provided.

Arctic Silver 5 is much better then that thermal pad they put on there. Applying AS5 should drop your temps by at least a couple degrees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andi20

Got the P4 3.2Ghz prescot see below and had it oc'ed to 3.7Ghz on standard cooling with no problems.

Not seen temps above 49c loaded.

What case you got and cooling. have you used paste between cpu and hs!!!

Hi, I am new to the forums but plan on sticking around. I am also fairly new to overclocking but already an addict.

Can you tell me what you have everything set to? I have a 3.2 prescot as well OC'ed to 3.6 but I am running around 61C under a load and 38C idle. I have an ABIT AS8 and have been using Guru to do the OCing. I have a thermaltake silent775 Heatsink / fan combo using AS5. I have 2 80mm fans in the front, 1 bay cooler in my 5.25 slot, 2 80mm fans in the back, 2 PCI slot fans in back, Video card cooler with dual fans and a 80mm blow hole in the top of the case. I am using a mini tower antec. Power Supply is antec neopower 480. I just bought a 120mm fan that I am thinking of putting in the side blowing straight at the (vid card 20%) and (MB / CPU 80%).

These are my settings:
Ext Clock 225mhz
AGP/PCI 66/33 mhz
VCore 1.5875v
DDRV 2.8v
AGPV 1.55v

It may be that I need to back off on the Vcore and increase the ext clock. Any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Nuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwEaK_MoNkeY
that hit 100,000 on the "not relavent to thread" counter.
p.s u have a crap load of fans
So what should I do to get my info? Start a new thread? How is it no relavent? Just asking..

Nuck

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuckle
Hi, I am new to the forums but plan on sticking around. I am also fairly new to overclocking but already an addict.

Can you tell me what you have everything set to? I have a 3.2 prescot as well OC'ed to 3.6 but I am running around 61C under a load and 38C idle. I have an ABIT AS8 and have been using Guru to do the OCing. I have a thermaltake silent775 Heatsink / fan combo using AS5. I have 2 80mm fans in the front, 1 bay cooler in my 5.25 slot, 2 80mm fans in the back, 2 PCI slot fans in back, Video card cooler with dual fans and a 80mm blow hole in the top of the case. I am using a mini tower antec. Power Supply is antec neopower 480. I just bought a 120mm fan that I am thinking of putting in the side blowing straight at the (vid card 20%) and (MB / CPU 80%).

These are my settings:
Ext Clock 225mhz
AGP/PCI 66/33 mhz
VCore 1.5875v
DDRV 2.8v
AGPV 1.55v

It may be that I need to back off on the Vcore and increase the ext clock. Any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Nuck
For a 400mhz overclock you may even be able to run on the default 1.4v vcore. I very much doubt you'd need to go above 1.45v to achieve that overclock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
For a 400mhz overclock you may even be able to run on the default 1.4v vcore. I very much doubt you'd need to go above 1.45v to achieve that overclock.
Thanks XMS, I think the answer to my question is that I dont know what I am doing lol. So is it the EXT clock that you do most of the adjusting with? I realize that using guru is probably noobish but it is what I have and what I am trying to learn on.

Nuck

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Thanks XMS, I think the answer to my question is that I dont know what I am doing lol. So is it the EXT clock that you do most of the adjusting with? I realize that using guru is probably noobish but it is what I have and what I am trying to learn on.

Nuck

Thats fine...Just keep upping the FSB (might be called ext clock) 5mhz at a time with the default vcore until you find that the system is unstable, then you can up the vcore by 0.125v to try and improve stability.

Check out the guides section down the right-hand side of the main overclock.net website. Ther eis a very good guide on how to OC your intel chip.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:

the heat sink installed is fine. i'm using the intel provided heat sink. do we get other heat sinks? cpu voltage is 1.294v. i have the updated BIOS. ok i'll try to apply the arctic silver heat transfer compound. thank u for ur help!!!

is this a custom built computer with a custom built case if it is you should buy some additional fans to attach to the case. also i agree bout using some artic 5 thermal paste that is what everyone talks about here, and im sure that will do wonders for your temp problem. also the graphics card would not add any more heat so feel free to add one, the heat is coming directly from your processor, so the fan is probably not enough and you need to buy a new one or you need to reapply the thermal paste using arctic silver 5 thermal past. also if you dont want to use air cooling you could go to water cooling.

plz rep me if this has helped at all

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:

Nuck

You should really start your own thread instead of derailing this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts