Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... i think im gonna start my project on my newly acquired Intel 805... this will be my first project to overclock anything... ive built a rig b4 but thats just for aesthetic values... and it don't even look nice anyways.... but here is what i got... and i need some help / suggestions from all u guys...<br><br>
Case: Thermaltake Armor Jr. Black w/ window<br><br>
CPU: Intel Pentium D 805 2.66ghz 533FSB OR Pentium 4 660 3.6ghz 800FSB<br><br>
PSU: Errr... i guess i can use my Antec smartpower 2.0 @ 500 Watts<br><br>
RAM: 2x512 Corsair VS512MB533D2... (i don't knoe anything about ram... like the numbers... x-x-x-x... u knoe?<br><br>
Mobo: Suggest me one yeh? sumtin like the 975Ps...gigabyte or asus... etc?<br><br>
VideoCard: Geforce 6200TC.... (i don't need the gfx card for OCing right?)<br><br>
aiiiiiiite... so err first question i guess... pentium D OR pentium 4... i already asked this in another post... but i didnt give all my info... sooo (don't flame me! ._.)<br><br>
o yeh i fergot... air or water cooling? i have a BT right now... thx

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">VideoCard: Geforce 6200TC.... (i don't need the gfx card for OCing right?)</td>
</tr></table></div>
Get a 6800GT

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>PROBN4LYFE</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Get a 6800GT</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
so i guess a gfx card is essential to OC?

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
Limitations are everywhere...a sound graphics card is a worryless obstacle in your OC...PSU,CPU,RAM can then be singled out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Depending on what your pocket is like I would look at going duo core worth it by far!!<br><br>
There are a fair # of cheaper good boards out now and you just dont beat the performance of these duo cores.<br><br>
I have built 2 systems so far and working on a third<br><br>
1= abit AW9D-MAX w X6800 extreme<br>
2= asus P5B w E6700<br><br>
my third is Asus P5W64-WS PRO w X6800 Mobo in Tues.

·
Banned
79 Posts
what ever you do do not get a 6200 tc (i had one if u had ever seen my prifile before) i have nothing a gainst the card if u dont play many games its alright i guess but the tc if u dont know stands for turbo cache this is a technology that u ses ur rams bandwith to add the size of the vid card mem it all good and all but when i tried to oc with it it would not let me oc my ram what so ever if i even set the timings tighter it would not boot up but when i got my gs the problem is gone

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>rank22</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">what ever you do do not get a 6200 tc (i had one if u had ever seen my prifile before) i have nothing a gainst the card if u dont play many games its alright i guess but the tc if u dont know stands for turbo cache this is a technology that u ses ur rams bandwith to add the size of the vid card mem it all good and all but when i tried to oc with it it would not let me oc my ram what so ever if i even set the timings tighter it would not boot up but when i got my gs the problem is gone</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
true dat... i totally forgot that it used ram for the videocard... haha<br><br>
anyways... do i need specific overclocking ram to overclock? or is the ram i have now sufficient

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
I have used a VS set of corsiars on my recent build for a friend. By increasing the voltage +.2v, I was able to get a nice 60mhz oc'....w/ further tuning I might have been able to push farther....but it wasnt my rig.

·
Banned
79 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>supamaryo</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">true dat... i totally forgot that it used ram for the videocard... haha<br />
<br />
anyways... do i need specific overclocking ram to overclock? or is the ram i have now sufficient</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>try somthing rated well over ur mobo, someone once told me to do that and it oced reall well but be carfull some chipsets dont like ram thats higher than rated. <br />
mostly, anything exept intel and nforce and as a personal fav i like g-skill<br />
<br />
<br />
and ass for the mobo try somthing like the ASUS P5B Deluxe <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131045" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131045</a><br />
if u cant afford one try somthing with an intel chipset and that mobo is good to if u wanna go core 2

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Whats the budget for this system? Hard to recomend a good setup without a budget. You listed the 805 and value RAM, so i'm gussing there IS a budget.<br />
<br />
Also, will you be using existing hard drives or buying new ones? If you have old PATA hard drives, your motherboard selections may be limited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts