Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm thinking of switching over to AMD. I've got an offer of 250€ for my current CPU+Mobo+G.card combo (roughly US$326).
What do you tihnk would be a good graphics card+CPU+mobo (only S939 and I intend to OC it
) combo would be for me? I'm willing to spend about US$185 more in addition to what I'm going to get from my system, so that means I want a good system for US$511

Thanks for your help!

Oh and btw, will I have to change PSU too?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
thats not nearly enough for a new cpu mobo gfx card and psu. if u want a descent gfx card and mobo and psu.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
£273? ouchies, that won't get you far on s939. Maybe a Celeron system though...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
p.s. u should stick with your current settup or upgrade to better memory psu or gfx card. remember you may also want to wait for febuary when the new p4 presscots come out with 64 bit architexture and then imagine a 4 gh overclocked 64 bit proccesor

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

Hi. I'm thinking of switching over to AMD. I've got an offer of 250€ for my current CPU+Mobo+G.card combo (roughly US$326).
What do you tihnk would be a good graphics card+CPU+mobo (only S939 and I intend to OC it
) combo would be for me? I'm willing to spend about US$185 more in addition to what I'm going to get from my system, so that means I want a good system for US$511

Thanks for your help!

Oh and btw, will I have to change PSU too?

Don't be silly. Stick with your system and just get yourself a better graphics card.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoopo

p.s. u should stick with your current settup or upgrade to better memory psu or gfx card. remember you may also want to wait for febuary when the new p4 presscots come out with 64 bit architexture and then imagine a 4 gh overclocked 64 bit proccesor

will the 64 bit prescotts kill the a64s?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by illusion34

will the 64 bit prescotts kill the a64s?

NEVER!

Until the 64bit technology is fully utilised, we'll never know

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
r u kidding me thy will smoke the pins out of the amds because you will be able to overclock to like 4 gh above and amds are only like 2.6 gh but there both 64 bit so now they are somewhat comparable

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Don't be silly. Stick with your system and just get yourself a better graphics card.

I agree...I would love to have your CPU! I'm gimping along with my 2.4. Scrap the video and PSU...the PSU is needed for the new graphics (that is where all my trouble started)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing is, I think I got really unlucky with my current CPU (it can barely get to 3.7Ghz running a divider, but I think that's partially the PSU's fault), besides, s478 is dead now. This is a way to get a better system without spending a lot of money and if I want to change to s775 I'll still have to change mobo and CPU.
EDIT: not to mention s939 is a lot cheaper than s775..

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Athlon 64 Guide

The AMD64 x86-64 Instruction Extension
A lot of people believe that the reason an Athlon 64 is faster than its competetion is because it's a 64-bit processor, and this is not true. Yes, it is a 64-bit processor, but as there are no mainstreame 64-bit applications or operating systems, it is still running the same 32-bit code as an Intel Pentium 4 or Athlon XP. Its speed is attributued to its efficneicy and high rate of operations done per second, as well as the low latency memory operations of the on-die memory controller. The AMD64 technology is an extension of the x86 IA-32 code. In a nut shell, all the AMD64 instruction set allows the processor to do is identify and execute 64-bit code and 32-bit code at the same time. The benefits of 64-bit coding is more adressable system memory and more registers to use in coding. More registers allows coders to have more options for a given execution and not have to go back and write additiona lines of code to "free-up" other registers. This makes the code faster and more efficient

Misinformed people amuse me
Try to get your facts straight before you start claiming Intel's 64-bit extension (which mind you it had to buy from AMD) will make any sort of performance difference WHILE RUNNING 32-BIT CODE. Thanks
Oh, and by the way, a 2.6GHz Athlon 64 has greater ALU and FPU performance than a 4GHz Prescott anyway, so until you guys hit 5GHz, I'm not that interested

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Misinformed people amuse me
Try to get your facts straight before you start claiming Intel's 64-bit extension (which mind you it had to buy from AMD) will make any sort of performance difference WHILE RUNNING 32-BIT CODE. Thanks
Oh, and by the way, a 2.6GHz Athlon 64 has greater ALU and FPU performance than a 4GHz Prescott anyway, so until you guys hit 5GHz, I'm not that interested

Tis what I said...

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

The thing is, I think I got really unlucky with my current CPU (it can barely get to 3.7Ghz running a divider, but I think that's partially the PSU's fault), besides, s478 is dead now. This is a way to get a better system without spending a lot of money and if I want to change to s775 I'll still have to change mobo and CPU.
EDIT: not to mention s939 is a lot cheaper than s775..

For your purposes and budget you're not going to get far on Socket 939, you really need to go Socket 754, and at this point it offers greater performance per dollar you spend. You wanna look at 3200 or 3400 DTR Mobile chips that use the ClawHammer core with 1MB of L2 cache, a DFI LANParty UT nF3-250Gb motherboard, and a 6800 or 6800GT for the video card. As for the PSU, I just bought a Forton Source 530 watt for US$80 at NewEgg that's got pretty decent specs and the very handy adjustable rails, so you may want to take that into account.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

For your purposes and budget you're not going to get far on Socket 939, you really need to go Socket 754, and at this point it offers greater performance per dollar you spend. You wanna look at 3200 or 3400 DTR Mobile chips that use the ClawHammer core with 1MB of L2 cache, a DFI LANParty UT nF3-250Gb motherboard, and a 6800 or 6800GT for the video card. As for the PSU, I just bought a Forton Source 530 watt for US$80 at NewEgg that's got pretty decent specs and the very handy adjustable rails, so you may want to take that into account.

...and as long as the chip doesn't die like 4 (or was it more) other people in this forum, you'll be good to go!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
That's pretty irrelvent, any number of things can cause CPU failure, like oh say a Power Supply dying. Chances really are my CPU wasn't dead, but I would rathe return it now than wait 2 weeks for the new board to come in and then find out it's dead. Wanted a better stepping anyway

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I can afford a s939 3200+ 0.09nm cpu, now my question resides on the mobo (cause I managed to make a deal with the guy and not sell my graphics card yet). I don't have a lot of choices cause most hardware stores don't ship here and the NF4 ultra chipset isn't out here yet. I don't think I would invest in anything except 775 or 939, I'm getting out of 478 while I can, cause it's gonna be dead technology soon, and I don't want to invest in 754 (which I think is going to die and be replaced by 939, right?) because of that.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Oh well, your loss. The Best Socket 939 board out that's readily avaliable is either the MSI Neo2 Plat or the ASUS A8V. The MSI uses the nForce chipsets which usually perform better, but I've heard a lot of good things about the ASUS board as well (which uses the Via K8T800 Pro chipset) so I guess it's really just a matter of taste.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, I'm a total n00b when it comes to AMD... so correct me if I'm wrong, 754's life will end soon right?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
For the mainstreme desktop market, yes, sometime soon. AMD will discontinue the release of AMD64 enabled products on Socket 754 (Semprons will replace them) but as far as I've check the roadmaps (2006) show that Mobile Athlon 64s will continue to be used on Socket 754, and we all know the Mobiles are good overclockers. I remains pretty stong minded in my beliefe that unless you are going to buy an FX or use SLi, there is no point in Socket 939. The reason the FX chips are fast is because they have the 1MB of L2 cache, other than that they are the same deal as the much cheaper chips. You can get a ClawHammer which too has 1MB of L2 Cache for less than US$200 on Socket 754, so I think the price to performance ration for Socket 754 is freakin awesome. I don't wanna try to sway your opinion for anything other try to save you some money and get the fastest machine possible, so try not to take anything personaly or somethin

1 - 20 of 57 Posts