Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Overclocker
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Did Intel just admit they couldn't fully beat 5800x3d in games with the 13900k? :eek:

·
Overclocker
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am completely taken by surprised that Intel admitted how well the 5800x3d performed against their 13900k in games. I am sure at some point before publishing the results we had 4 bar graph per game. But upon further review the performance of the 5800x3d disparaged the 13900k. So they used a line graph hybrid instead... At a guess on my part of course.
:coffee:

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I am completely taken by surprised that Intel admitted how well the 5800x3d performed against their 13900k in games. I am sure at some point before publishing the results we had 4 bar graphs. But upon further review the performance of the 5800x3d disparaged the 13900k. So they used a line graph hybrid instead. At a guess on my part of course.
:coffee:
it's going to be an war of trading gains like p4/athlon era. We just need to hold out for next era - my guess lunarlake tbh vs amd one to really see whats worth getting. For now, best to spend less on cpu/mobo/ram imo. Hope the economy improves enough we can go back to yearly upgrade model then.

·
WaterCooler
5,471 Posts
Look like a better lineup and pricing then Zen 4, that's for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: EastCoast

·
Overclocker
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's going to be an war of trading gains like p4/athlon era. We just need to hold out for next era - my guess lunarlake tbh vs amd one to really see whats worth getting. For now, best to spend less on cpu/mobo/ram imo. Hope the economy improves enough we can go back to yearly upgrade model then.
Completely agree.This looks more like a tick instead of a tock. The initial cost for DDR5 alone makes this not worth it for either side of the fence right now.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,979 Posts
One thing I want to know is if that 65w claim holds true. If they have managed to dial in the power efficiency of this 13th gen flagship so it can handle 12900k performance at 25% of the power draw, that'll be a huge win for team blue.

(it's also super good for the laptop market)

·
WaterCooler
5,471 Posts
Ouch. If the 5800X3D performs that well in gaming vs the 13900K then the Ryzen 7000X3D refresh is going to wreck it.
Very good pricing on this gen though so that is awesome to see.
I would agree that Zen 4 3D is the one to watch.

Zen 4 is kinda lame in my mind due to the cost involved and it too also gets beat by the 5800X3D in some games. So I guess I'm just not all that impressed with either side right now.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
That second chart is really terrible. They should have moved the yellow line way down and started the scale at the 50% mark to emphasize the +20% gains towards the right. And am I seeing a performance LOSS in Horizon? Makes AMD look really tempting. Sad how quickly my 10900k is aging. even at 5100 all core.
Zen4 performance is impressive, but Intel's prices are also impressive. Zen4 X3D would be cool, but would love to see something with more than 8 cores get that treatment.

·
WaterCooler
5,471 Posts
That second chart is really terrible. They should have moved the yellow line way down and started the scale at the 50% mark to emphasize the +20% gains towards the right. And am I seeing a performance LOSS in Horizon? Makes AMD look really tempting. Sad how quickly my 10900k is aging. even at 5100 all core.
Zen4 performance is impressive, but Intel's prices are also impressive. Zen4 X3D would be cool, but would love to see something with more than 8 cores get that treatment.
Though given the high temps of Zen 4, I do wonder how much clock speeds will be backed off for the 3D parts.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I would agree that Zen 4 3D is the one to watch.

Zen 4 is kinda lame in my mind due to the cost involved and it too also gets beat by the 5800X3D in some games. So I guess I'm just not all that impressed with either side right now.
In the past, almost all here would go max performance regardless of dollar. Now, more of us are starting to value the dollar part and performance per dollar. The yearly upgrade days were fun times.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Sad how quickly my 10900k is aging. even at 5100 all core.
Before hopping on 12th-gen, I looked long and hard at 10th-gen and 11th-gen, coming from a 9900K. I do have a 10900K for case reviews on another site, and have played around with it too - and for gaming, between the 12700k, 10900k, and 9900k, all at 5.0 (10900k on air, so...), I can't really tell the difference.

I mostly upgraded to learn, more than needing more performance. Most of what I learned is that this new tech is darned expensive!

Zen4 X3D would be cool, but would love to see something with more than 8 cores get that treatment.
Most enthusiasts would, but it'd be almost impossible to market to consumers. 3D cache only helps in cache-limited scenarios, and for consumers, that's games - but cost goes up and performance elsewhere is hampered by lower average and boost clockspeeds. Factor that in with the part likely undercutting HEDT, with as small of a market as that's become, and it's hard to imagine AMD doing more than the expected 7800X3D.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,677 Posts
Though given the high temps of Zen 4, I do wonder how much clock speeds will be backed off for the 3D parts.
It will be interesting to see how they go about it. What lessons have been learned from Zen3'D' etc. I believe there was a 200-400Mhz clock decrease with the 5800X. It's not significant to impact day to day, so I would hope its within that window or they've reduced it.

Pricing will be interesting too... Raptor Lake is coming out pretty aggressively and will likely out perform Zen 4 is most games.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
No platform-upgrade anytime soon. Nice to see my money stretch!

• Rep+
Reactions: Obviousman

·
PC Evangelist
48,732 Posts
7800 X3D will be great but AMD needs to fix the freq problem. Now 7950 X3D would be best of both worlds.

·
Mentally Insane User
853 Posts
7800 X3D will be great but AMD needs to fix the freq problem. Now 7950 X3D would be best of both worlds.
The 7800X3D when released will still have lower clocks than the standard version there is no way getting around that as you can see the standard run hot so the X3D will run even hotter so they have no choice but to lower the clocks.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts