Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I searched around here some and didn't see much as far as building for Atoms goes. I just got the following kit:

• Intel D945GCLF
◦ Intel Atom 230 (1.6GHz)
◦ Intel GMA 950 Graphics
• 1 GB Kingston DDR2-667
• IOCELL 8GB Flash Drive

I'm trying to do this pretty much as cheaply as possible, since I'm of a limited budget at the moment. I'd like to use a USB Flash Drive for the OS, since an HDD looks massive next to this motherboard. I'm having trouble getting Linux to boot from this USB Key, though, so I may try a different brand; I think the CDFS partition may be messing up the boot order.

I'd like to, at some point, build this system into a cigar box or something similar, but at the moment, I'm kind of limited by the size of the PSU I'm using -- it's an old 300W. I'd like a picoPSU at some point, but $45 is a bit of a budget stretcher; I'd rather not spend any more than I have already.

So, I guess, the following are my questions:
• What OS should I run? I'm considering Linux Mint 6.
• What should I build it into?

Also, if anyone here has experience with USB keys, is there anyway to get them to boot with the CDFS partition? If not, how can I get rid of it? Formatting doesn't work.

Any comments are welcome, really; I'm not sure what direction this project is taking yet.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Just buy a VIA pico-itx it's a playing card sized mobo with intgrated everything!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverPotato
View Post

Just buy a VIA pico-itx it's a playing card sized mobo with intgrated everything!

They're very expensive and relatively week.

Have you thought about Compact Flash instead? They use IDE protocol so they can be recognized as HD. In fact, I have one for sale with IDE adapter.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

They're very expensive and relatively week.

Have you thought about Compact Flash instead? They use IDE protocol so they can be recognized as HD. In fact, I have one for sale with IDE adapter.

its true, i have one running in an old comp that i bought for my iPod, but never got around to modding it

·
Registered
462 Posts
Only problem with the pico PSU do they have 4 pin connectors? I am thinking about building a am2 micro itx build but cant find a PSU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts