Overclock.net banner

Intel Burn Test--How to determine stability ?

2598 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  TwoCables
These questions are about the program "Intel Burn Test" Ver 2.3 64-bit

There are 3 questions asked. Which choices should I make for each to test the Stability of my System?

1 Error detection [yes/no].
2 Stress Levels 1,2,3 or 4?
3 Number of times to repeat the tests [program recommends 5] ??

I've ran it stress level '2' and it passes but stress level '3 it fails.
Also the RAM used , it fails as you go higher than 1 MB.
It seems I need a freon-based cpu cooling system or something?
Do they make those? I got a few extra in case they do make em.

All comments on test decision or other things are welcome.

P>S>Important note:My overclock right now is very simply change the clock speed to 3.4 then 3.2 GHZ
I have not increased ANY voltage at all and this Intel tests is saying unstable. How in God's name would I dare go 0.01 Vlts extra Vcore?
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weatherphobia View Post
These questions are about the program "Intel Burn Test" Ver 2.3 64-bit

There are 3 questions asked. Which choices should I make for each to test the Stability of my System?

1 Error detection [yes/no].
2 Stress Levels 1,2,3 or 4?
3 Number of times to repeat the tests [program recommends 5] ??

I've ran it stress level '2' and it passes but stress level '3 it fails.
Also the RAM used , it fails as you go higher than 1 MB.
It seems I need a freon-based cpu cooling system or something?
Do they make those? I got a few extra in case they do make em.

All comments on test decision or other things are welcome.

P>S>Important note:My overclock right now is very simply change the clock speed to 3.4 then 3.2 GHZ
I have not increased ANY voltage at all and this Intel tests is saying unstable. How in God's name would I dare go 0.01 Vlts extra Vcore?
Error detection is preferred. It lets you know when there's an error.

Stress level 4 is preferred. Why would you use anything less?

5 is way too low. I firmly recommend 50 to 100.

If it fails on stress level 3, then the overclock is not stable. If it fails using more than 1 MB of memory, then the overclock is not stable.

What are your temperatures according to Core Temp while running the test?

Finally, it's absolutely ok to change the voltage control to Manual and then increase it to whatever it needs. This CPU's core voltage limit is 1.55V, provided that the cooling is good enough to keep it cool in order to prevent instability due to excessive heat. And that is the key: stability proves that the temperatures are fine. But instability can be caused by either heat, or by the overclock's settings.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Error detection is preferred. It lets you know when there's an error.

Stress level 4 is preferred. Why would you use anything less?

5 is way too low. I firmly recommend 50 to 100.

If it fails on stress level 3, then the overclock is not stable. If it fails using more than 1 MB of memory, then the overclock is not stable.

What are your temperatures according to Core Temp while running the test?

Finally, it's absolutely ok to change the voltage control to Manual and then increase it to whatever it needs. This CPU's core voltage limit is 1.55V, provided that the cooling is good enough to keep it cool in order to prevent instability due to excessive heat. And that is the key: stability proves that the temperatures are fine. But instability can be caused by either heat, or by the overclock's settings.

During a Peak of the test it runs 67C - 69C , I'm using Speedfan for temp/fan measurements.

I guess I should push the DRAM Volts from 1.8 to 2.1 volts which are the corrects volts according to the Ram's specs I've read about.

I guess push the Vcore a few times higher to make my FSB stable? Maybe from Stock 1.2125v to perhaps 1.22 to 1.25 volts.

I guess?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by weatherphobia
View Post

During a Peak of the test it runs 67C - 69C , I'm using Speedfan for temp/fan measurements.

I guess I should push the DRAM Volts from 1.8 to 2.1 volts which are the corrects volts according to the Ram's specs I've read about.

I guess push the Vcore a few times higher to make my FSB stable? Maybe from Stock 1.2125v to perhaps 1.22 to 1.25 volts.

I guess?

Oh, I can't get too deep into the details since the UD3P has many more fine tuning tweaks than my motherboard has, and I don't really understand them all. But on a very basic level, it's good to adjust the cpu core voltage, the FSB voltage, the memory voltage, the northbridge voltage, and sometimes the southbridge voltage.

But regarding adjusting the memory to 2.1V: that's indeed an excellent idea if that's in the specifications from the manufacturer. It should help!

There's more, but I'm running out of fuel due to lack of sleep!
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.