Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are these things so dang expensive, I'm looking at a laptop with a 3.4EE in it for $1899.99 on advertisement, and a 1.8ghz Centrino for $2999.99 on sale (pretty much the same specs) Explain whyyy? And could we use these, apparently godly, CPU's for PC's?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

Why are these things so dang expensive, I'm looking at a laptop with a 3.4EE in it for $1899.99 on advertisement, and a 1.8ghz Centrino for $2999.99 on sale (pretty much the same specs) Explain whyyy? And could we use these, apparently godly, CPU's for PC's?

Simple its called capitalism. The centrino market is white hot now and there are shortages, particulary chipsets. So they charge as much as they want.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm nothing else, I know there is a lower voltage need on them so laptops live longer... but anything else?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cost wise the chip is over $500 cheaper the a 3.4 EE. The chipset is quite a but more expensive and their are features built into it that are nicer then Pen 4's. The Centrinos are usaully quite a but smaller so they do have parts that are slightly higher speced, but most of the extra price is marketing and market demand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts