Overclock.net banner

Intel Conroe to arrive in April, details revealed....

2497 Views 39 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  pauldovi
http://neoseeker.com/news/story/5345/

The thing I don't understand is why is the top of the line CPU only 2.67GHz? Can anyone confirm the fact that they can run 9-12 operations per clock? Although seriously, to remain competitive they would have to do ATLEAST 10 if not 12 ops/cycle since AMDs can do 9 and they go up to 2.8GHz.....

Anyways, its nice to see the whole family moving up to 1066MHz FSB which makes even more sense since all of the new Merom (dual core mobile chips with 2x2MB cache) run at a 667MHz FSB which is the highest of any Intel Mobile chip save for the Pentium 4 Ms which are 800MHz but which are also horribly slow....

Of other interesting note is the these new 1066FSB CPUs means that the "normal" speed of memory to run at a 1:1 ratio with a stock Conroe would be DDR2 533 which is another area where Conroe doesn't seem as high and mighty as we all though, AMDs entire socket AM2 family runs off of a 1333MHz FSB with a 333 HT speed which means their 1:1 memory will be DDR2 667.

One last thing, the link above also mentions a Pentium D 960 3.6GHz Presler will also be released soon (April also?) and the whole Intel lineup will get major price cuts.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I have to say that AMD got a long way to catch up with intel \\/

Quote:

In year 2004, The Revenue of intel was $34.2 billion USD with 91,000 employees Against $5.85 billion USD Revenue of AMD in 2005 with 18000+ employees...

The AMD market capitalization was around US$13 billion at the end of 2005 & Intel is about $150.5 billion (December 2005).

Still Intel is the best seller in the whole world

Just wait till the quad cores to come, then intel will rule

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Your credibility hit the toilet when your figures suggest a 500% revenue growth for the fiscal year of 2004-2005 for Intel. The over 200% you're stating for AMD is also rediculous. Would you like to reveal your source?

"Wikipedia ALL THE WAY", Hey man no need to get angry @ me. I'm just saying that intel is my choice...

Hey man Market Capitalization refers simply to the value of a company, that is intels $150.5 billion & AMD US$13 billion....

& the Revenue is defined as the amount of money that a company actually receives during a specific period(Intels $34.2 billion USD in 2005 Against AMD $5.85 billion Revenue in 2005)

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ropey

I personally believe that with this (Conroe) architecture Intel moves to parity with AMD. Intel has not dealt with the legacy memory controller issue and still is relying on the memory controller (which handles data communication between the CPU and RAM) being situated in the Northbridge. Until Intel moves this controller onto the processor die they will not be able to surpass AMD to any great degree.

AMD's next architecture (.65nm) will show the Intel deficiency to an even greater degree. Intel's new Conroe architecture vs AMD's new architecture (when released) will show this view out in my opinion.

R

Ok, I think i can live another year or two...J/k

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.