Overclock.net banner

Intel Conroe to arrive in April, details revealed....

2497 Views 39 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  pauldovi
http://neoseeker.com/news/story/5345/

The thing I don't understand is why is the top of the line CPU only 2.67GHz? Can anyone confirm the fact that they can run 9-12 operations per clock? Although seriously, to remain competitive they would have to do ATLEAST 10 if not 12 ops/cycle since AMDs can do 9 and they go up to 2.8GHz.....

Anyways, its nice to see the whole family moving up to 1066MHz FSB which makes even more sense since all of the new Merom (dual core mobile chips with 2x2MB cache) run at a 667MHz FSB which is the highest of any Intel Mobile chip save for the Pentium 4 Ms which are 800MHz but which are also horribly slow....

Of other interesting note is the these new 1066FSB CPUs means that the "normal" speed of memory to run at a 1:1 ratio with a stock Conroe would be DDR2 533 which is another area where Conroe doesn't seem as high and mighty as we all though, AMDs entire socket AM2 family runs off of a 1333MHz FSB with a 333 HT speed which means their 1:1 memory will be DDR2 667.

One last thing, the link above also mentions a Pentium D 960 3.6GHz Presler will also be released soon (April also?) and the whole Intel lineup will get major price cuts.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess its gonna be interesting to say the least, I mean it is gonna be 65nm which would allow for high clocks but then it does have a very short bus length and I believe they reduced the number of stages in the pipeline.....? so that would also reduce clock speeds and another factor to remember is that these are the first chips on this architecture, the first Pentium 4s were in the 1GHz range and now look where they have gone, 3.8GHz and we are OCing them to 4GHz+ every day
so I imagine after a few years once this architecture really gets developed and sees some revisions and new steppings then Conroe will truly be the behemoth that Intel wants it to be, though I don't think I can wait any longer, I may have to grab one ASAP because my P4 530 is REALLY showing its age, and once I get a G71.....its all gonna be over for this CPU lol.

EDIT/// Hmm.... I reread the article and read the one at The Inq and it seems as if maybe neoseeker misread The Inq's article OR maybe you are mistaken sccr
either way did you guys see those prices? The top of the line model is supposed to be under $550! That is awesome, seems like they are really taking advantage of the 65nm fab process, I mean IF AMD were to keep its prices as they are, that puts the 2.67GHz 2x2MB cache Conroe directly into the price point of the 2x512kb cache AMD X2 4600+ Manchester and under the price of the 2x1MB AMD X2 4800+ (this is from my memory of the last time I saw their prices but that sounds about right, right?) and if Intel's Conroe is clocked higher than either of those CPUs AND does 12 ops/cycle, AMD better pull something out from where the sun don't shine fast!

· Premium Member
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just revisited this thread and thought that some of you guys needed reminding that AMD's socket AM2 has a 1333MHz FSB (although they don't call it an FSB) and their Windsor and Orleans cores are going to be 65nm.

And I totally agree with that comment on CPU tech stagnating, I mean graphics cards have been doubling in performance every generation PLUS we now have CrossFire, SLI, SLI x16 and even QUAD SLI, as if our GPUs were the problem
back when I got my P4 530 in June 2004 it was top dog (as far as the 500 series, I know the 530 was bottom of the 5xx series) and they already had the 570 3.8GHz, today there is nothing faster than the 3.8 from Intel and all they have accomplished is added another meg of L2 cache and created their 6xx line. Now this is not considering the dual cores which are also kind of stagnating but Presler is a move in the right direction for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.