Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a new cpu soon and the 950 looks like the best buy to me but the 1090t is a hex core cpu and at 279$ but the i7-950 is also at 300$ which cpu is better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Unless you are shooting for a low cost graphics workstation, the 950 is the clear choice. However, if you were doing that...I don't think you would even need to ask this question.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
994 Posts
um depends what you are going to use it for. If it's for gaming go for the 950. Application wise I would go with the 1090T
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
In terms of raw speed, the 950 is faster however if you need 6 cores due to using a lot of multithreaded applications then go for the slower CPU with more cores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawe View Post
um depends what you are going to use it for. If it's for gaming go for the 950. Application wise I would go with the 1090T

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
In terms of raw speed, the 950 is faster however if you need 6 cores due to using a lot of multithreaded applications then go for the slower CPU with more cores.
there you go
 

·
 
Joined
·
13,001 Posts
I'd get the I7 950 for the speed in everyday tasks. Even if or when you encode or multi task, the 950 isn't much, or if any, slower than the 1090T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
LOL There's some funny stuff posted on here.

Whilst the AMD chip has 6 cores, the hyper threading of the i7 means that it is the equivalent of having 8 (as it can handle 8 threads).

It's a simple decision - in UK money you're saving around £100-£150 by choosing the AMD chip and there's a reason; it's significantly less powerful than the Intel one. I'm not just saying this, a quick glance at these stats says it all (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2363104,00.asp). Whilst they're not specifically looking at the i7-950 they are showing the i7-930, which is a less capable CPU and it still outshines the AMD offering.

That said, it's whether you need a powerful medium-range processor or not. For example, an older i7 or even a newer i5 might be more suitable than the AMD chip and be at a comparable cost.

The AMD chip is what it is - a budget CPU that will perform very well but never reach the heights of an Intel chip (yet)! Just decide whether or not you want to go for a budget chip, or whether you can't manage not having the latest and greatest (ish) from Intel!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I own a Intel i7 950 3.06 now, and like the dudes already says Intel is faster, AMD can have 6 Cores but you cannot compare Intel chips with Amd Chips, Intel makes huge monster chips, you should count a Intel i7 for a 7 Amd Cores. But the AMD bulldozer is also on the way wich will have 8 Cores, But Intel got already information about the i9's. This is how it goes, for now and the coming feature Intel will stay at Top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wittzi View Post
LOL There's some funny stuff posted on here.

Whilst the AMD chip has 6 cores, the hyper threading of the i7 means that it is the equivalent of having 8 (as it can handle 8 threads).

It's a simple decision - in UK money you're saving around £100-£150 by choosing the AMD chip and there's a reason; it's significantly less powerful than the Intel one. I'm not just saying this, a quick glance at these stats says it all (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2363104,00.asp). Whilst they're not specifically looking at the i7-950 they are showing the i7-930, which is a less capable CPU and it still outshines the AMD offering.

That said, it's whether you need a powerful medium-range processor or not. For example, an older i7 or even a newer i5 might be more suitable than the AMD chip and be at a comparable cost.

The AMD chip is what it is - a budget CPU that will perform very well but never reach the heights of an Intel chip (yet)! Just decide whether or not you want to go for a budget chip, or whether you can't manage not having the latest and greatest (ish) from Intel!
Precisely my friend! Everyone is neglecting the raw power of hyper threading... While the 950 has 4 physical cores, it has 8 virtual cores due to its hyper threading nature. If I am not mistaken 8 > 6
. And I am not an Intel Fanboy by any means, as you can see I am running my 965 loud and proud!
 

·
I.T. Specialist III
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
I was in this exact same position, and opted for the Intel.
No more messing around
 

·
I.T. Specialist III
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinky View Post
Precisely my friend! Everyone is neglecting the raw power of hyper threading... While the 950 has 4 physical cores, it has 8 virtual cores due to its hyper threading nature. If I am not mistaken 8 > 6
. And I am not an Intel Fanboy by any means, as you can see I am running my 965 loud and proud!
Hyper threading is 'splitting' 4 cores.
6 logical cores from the AMD is darn nice, its amazing that AMD have a chip that can really battle with an i7 besides games.

I still went with an i7 though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
950 is better, and only $230 at microcenter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
930 overclocks better than 950. get a 930 if you can, even if its more expensive. the extra multiplier doesn't help unless you have a crappy motherboard and/or you are trying to reach over 4.641Ghz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
930 overclocks better than 950. get a 930 if you can, even if its more expensive. the extra multiplier doesn't help unless you have a crappy motherboard and/or you are trying to reach over 4.641Ghz.
false.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top