Overclock.net banner

Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHZ

2843 Views 38 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  kevingreenbmx
$975.00?? Really??? Cmon intel

Have people not taken 920's to 4.5GHZ? For about $700 less.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Ahh, but 920's don't fare as well as 975's for suicide runs
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmsupra
View Post

$975.00?? Really??? Cmon intel

Have people not taken 920's to 4.5GHZ? For about $700 less.

what ever the 920 can do, the 975 can do better.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

Ahh, but 920's don't fare as well as 975's for suicide runs

LMAO, what would you call a suicide run?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmsupra
View Post

LMAO, what would you call a suicide run?

5.0 to 6.0 ghz.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
5.0 to 6.0 ghz.
What's 6.1GHz then?
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by skarm View Post
What's 6.1GHz then?
a phenom II.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
a phenom II.
and 8ghz is a suicide run for a pentium 4
See less See more
920 will mostly out clock a 975 in normal OCing, but introduce DICE or LN2 then the 975 screams ahead.
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
920 will mostly out clock a 975 in normal OCing, but introduce DICE or LN2 then the 975 screams ahead.
?? Not it wouldn't.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane1244 View Post
?? Not it wouldn't.

wow really....... most boards stop at 222BCLK and that is around 4.6ghz, a 975 has an unlocked multi and can hit higher speeds at more volts with a higher multi and lower bclk. so do the math, and do research before you call someone out that benches i7s
See less See more
Quote:

?? Not it wouldn't.

Ya I cant see how that would be. 975 is everything a 920 is + more.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr View Post
Ya I cant see how that would be. 975 is everything a 920 is + more.
my 920 gets to 4.5ghz at a lower vcore then any 975 i have ever seen. its not until you get up higher is when it makes a difference.
See less See more
Quote:

?? Not it wouldn't.

???? is there supossed to be a link with the proof?
See less See more
Quote:

wow really....... most boards stop at 222BCLK and that is around 4.6ghz, a 975 has an unlocked multi and can hit higher speeds at more volts with a higher multi and lower bclk. so do the math, and do research before you call someone out that benches i7s
May I see your 975 Benchmarks?
See less See more
Quote:

soo, i still don't get how a 920 would out clock a 975 in normal OCing.. what you just said proves that a 975 would clock higher
See less See more
I've had both and the 975 is much better suited for extreme overclocking. PERIOD. If you've ever had perishable, extreme cooling sitting on your board you know you don't' have forever to dial in an overclock that will be required when running astronomical bclk. Hence why the higher multipliers are a better option.
Which will clock higher depends on the batch, and the iindividual chip, down to the individual mobo.
here is a link to a thread that has the highest clock ppl can get to and get a CPU-z validation. you see lots of 920's over 4.5ghz. but are they stable??? who knows but I would say for the most part the #'s you see people getting to are far from 24/7 and I would say far from 3dmark 05 stable. I punish my 965 with 1.42v for the CPU and QPI and have done so for close to a year at 4.4ghz with not even a blip. so you can spend your money the way you want but if you want to be at 4.5ghz with a 920 I suggest buying NcSpecV81's phase change system because that is the only way you might get close to 24/7 operation. IMO.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...per-might.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa
View Post

I think the point shane was tryin to make is you say a 920 would beat a 975, but if the 975 has unlocked multi, how could a 920 possibly beat it with a locked multi?
See less See more
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.