Overclock.net banner

2761 - 2780 of 2781 Posts

·
Registered
Core i9 10980XE - Rampage VI EE - GSkill Trident Z 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 - Asus Strix 3090 OC - AX1200i
58 Posts
On the 8 slot boards, completing the ram channels fully gives a bit of benefit over leaving B empty at any frequency with a T-top layout
Yeah I couldn't help notice for a similar RAM frequency and secondary timings your GSAT screenshots show higher Mem copy speeds than mine ( around 4 to 5GB/s ), is it because you are running with all 8 DIMM slots populated ? Interesting that adding more sticks to your build makes it difficult to get it stable under higher frequency but also gives better throughoutput.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah I couldn't help notice for a similar RAM frequency and secondary timings your GSAT screenshots show higher Mem copy speeds than mine ( around 4 to 5GB/s ), is it because you are running with all 8 DIMM slots populated ? Interesting that adding more sticks to your build makes it difficult to get it stable under higher frequency but also gives better throughoutput.
I would start from park odt. Just try the setting one by one. Mine on channel D which is the one near dimm.2 slot likes 60.

And I think yes jpmboy higher result most likely due to 8 dimm which act kinda like dual rank.

·
OC...D
28,109 Posts
^^ That is just weird. Must be a nomenclature thing. 1.4 VCCIN is a non-starter on any other x299 I know of. Has that bios been flashed to the most recent for that board? Corrupted Bios?

·
OC...D
28,109 Posts
Yeah, the effect was explained to me by Raja some years ago... I'd have to look back for the technical explanation. Channel Interleaving if I recall correctly

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^ That is just weird. Must be a nomenclature thing. 1.4 VCCIN is a non-starter on any other x299 I know of. Has that bios been flashed to the most recent for that board? Corrupted Bios?
Flashed it to the latest. I think it was the same for previous version.

·
OC...D
28,109 Posts
Flashed it to the latest. I think it was the same for previous version.
Twilight Zone stuff going on there. A VCCIN of 1.4V is actually below the min Intel spec. It must be mislabeled in bios. Did you file a ticket with Asrock and show them the picture?

·
Old and Decrepit
1,877 Posts
I’ve not tried mine that low but suspect it won’t even consider booting. I have mine up at 1.85 as the droop under load pulls it down to 1.732. I drop below 1.7 and BSOD with WHEA will be soon to follow. I’ve had it set to 1.8 and it dropped to around 1.685 and sometimes OK and others that nasty WHEA shows it’s head so I just leave it at 1.85. This is of course with an overclocked chip at 4.7 or 4.8 depending on my mood, what I’m doing and mostly whether the wife is upstairs or not and I have the window behind my PC open when she isn’t LOL. If you are booting with that setting I’d pull up HWINFO and see what that has to say about it before jacking it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, This is my first time posting longtime reader.
I have an 7960x and asrock x299 taichi that I started to oc on about 3 years ago. All I have done was an easy 4.5 oc with an 1.152v, 1.85 vccin. On a 360mm aio, delid with an copper ihs and some kryonaut thermal paste.
It is stable and I would like to push it further, but I don't know what else I can do. I tried messing with adaptive and offsets. Don't know how to get it working correctly. Way more than what I have set manually.
The memory is corsair lpx 2666 xmp. I would like to overclock also but don't know how far it can go. Like I tried 3200 on it and it fails. So basically it is at xmp 2666.
I have seen overclock with per core and adaptive voltage and some with just an override manual settings. So I tried messing with both ways but just can't get 4.6+ mhz stable without jumping into 1.2v vcore. I noticed that some people were able to tweak their systems to overcome their issues.
What I think I need is a guide to overclock the bios of the motherboard because most people have ROG or an x299 dark. When i'm looking at different types of motherboard bios and then trying to mimic those settings to only find out that yours is not labeled the same or even a function.
My goal would be 4.7 all cores or 4.8 on a few cores with the rest of the cores at 4.6 for lower temperature and stability. Memory I would like to get it to 3200 for an increase of bandwidth. Is there an update guide or approach I should be aware of?

·
Old and Decrepit
1,877 Posts
What are your temps under load? That has everything to do with it. I tried a 7900X 9940X and a 10980XE on a 280 AIO and got nowhere. Mainstream CPUs I used the same AIO for test bench purposes before putting it in the case. Now it’s a 480 rad with a decent waterblock and an EK Xres 140 with a D5 pump to be able to take the heat. The 7900X I think it was just the LCC Die and no matter what I put on it I just couldn’t get the heat off the die. Low liquid temps and that sucker would still heat up.
I generally start with the CPU first and see where I get with ram at default Jdec and worry about that later.

first thing I would look at is heat. Run a CB23 30 min run with HWINFO up on your stable OC and see where your temps are going. I know they are different chips but I managed better from the 9940X and 10980XE. I can get higher than I run 24x7 that I do 4.7 or 4.8 depending on my mood but the 4.7 is 1.185 and the 4.8 is 1.235. Crossing To 4.9 isn’t much more then that 5GHz barrier I had to push to 1.36 to land at my Max to date of 5.1.

Again it’s about can you keep the temps down when you increase the juice.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have been running my new overclock settings now on adaptive voltage now for right at a month now on the 10940x. Still running SVID on with no ill side effects, system is rock solid stable as long as I don't try and push the mesh past 30.
I also got rid of my Enthoo Elite and swapped to a case with better airflow and have seen my water temps be much better(2c cooler). Enthoo Elite is nice but the bottom chamber layout make 0 sense.
At any rate I am happy with my 2 best cores at 5ghz and the rest at 4.9.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys I gave it an try for a few hours to get 4.7 stable on my 7960x but ended up stopping at @4.6 because it wanted too much vcore. This is what I have so far for now. I will continue working on it later time. Donedeal19`s Cinebench - R23 Multi Core with BenchMate score: 24792 pts with a Core i9 7960X

Now that you guys where talking about 14 cores cpu, I went to my 7940x and started to oc on that. I tried adaptive voltage and for 4.9 it was 1.4v. Now @4.8 it will be stable for 1.24 with my worst core hitting 108 degree.
Now I am currently working on per core clocking . Slowly raising each core, and finding a stable voltage 0.004 up each test .
I have been spending most of my time with this one also. With 8 core at 4.8 and the rest of the cores at 4.7. Temps are 96 degrees on my hottest core. Pulling 650 watts from the wall. This 7940x is not delid and also on a 360mm aio.

·
Old and Decrepit
1,877 Posts
108 is darn toasty. My opinion? Its the AIO that's kicking your a$$. I don't like them in the first place and they are marginal for mainstream but don't cut the mustard for HEDT. Tried a 280 H115i just for a test bench on the 9940X and 10980XE out of the case, not happening. I gave up using it for testing and it lives in my sons case cooling a 6700K with a small OC, jack it up to the 5GHz its capable of with a custom loop and get the same thing, 100+ on a quad core CPU. Ran the same CPU up to 5.2 on a custom loop and it got toasty, as in just over 90C. Even a 9900K will struggle with the best AIO. Saw a vid a few days ago where jay no sense compared a cheap $35 amazon air cooler against whats considered a decent AIO........The cheap air cooler (Noctua knock off) kicked the AIO in the bawlz badly, like a 10C drop over the AIO. If thats what you have to work with then I think you will just have to accept you wont hit the numbers people are getting in here with custom loops. All of mine did OK on a bench with a 480PE and 140Xres with a single D5 pump but better after I got it in the case with a 420, 480, and two 360s soon to be a MORA 420 when I get back from teaching a class up in RI, leave for that Sunday. Have everything I need now but time.

·
Registered
686 Posts
How about a 30 minute run to get your loop soaked. Single pass doesn’t show much other than a low ambient.
Ambient is 22c. I don't think I will have an issue with 5 560mm Radiators now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let's just say it that an 360mm radiator alone is not sufficient to cool down 650 watts. It is fine for anything under 230 watts but even then you will max it out with an overclock. Now I see that you are running multiple radiator. Maybe an custom solution is the only way to get a better oc.
The thing is that I don't know where to begin with putting together a custom loop or what kind of case that would fit that many radiator alone. When I started to add up the cost to purchase a complete loop it was more than what I had left in my budget build.

Where do you buy an MORA 420 from? What's the main parts needed to build an effective loop solution?
There is tons of manufacturers offering what makes one's company more expensive than some other companies? Maybe an BOM of the items needed would help me to get my first time experience?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I suggest getting a case that has a lot of room, if it fits in your apartment, and can accommodate as many radiators as possible. When doing a custom loop you would see every extra space is useful when tightening fittings, looking for issues, installations, overall visibility, looks etc. Also I'd suggest looking for a case that that can have radiators preferably to push all the hot air out of the case through the roof or through the side(s) and not inside or through the bottom. If you push hot air inside the case through the radiator you will start cooking other components like passively cooled RAM if your water temp rises.

360mm AIO or 360mm thin custom loop radiator will have issues unless running HCC CPUs at near stock (if you like trying Prime95 SmallFFTs like me - AVX still disabled). Give your loop a 60mm thick 360 radiator and we are already gaining some clocks. If you go for a custom loop add as many radiators that fit nicely in the case and preferably thicks ones. Or go for the external radiator if you wish. Decide on the external or internal radiator first and then seek up the case and choose the internal radiators depending on the case design.

Everyone has their preferences when setting up a custom loop. If you do, you'll eventually set your own "baseline" for equipment you use, that have least issues and likely avoid some manufacturers down the road.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello boys.

I have 10980XE with X299 Dark under 4x 480mm XE rads from EK and 1x 240mm XE rad from EK with 2x D5 pumps. This loop is only for CPU, GPU has its own 4x 480mm XE rads with 2 pumps.

I am running 10980XE at 5.0Ghz with 1.310V at the moment with memory at 4000Mhz CL15 (could do less) at 1.5V.

Is the voltage reasonable? Is there a way to reduce it whilst keeping it stable?

I'm using LM instead of thermal paste as well.

CB15 5001 score and CB20 11756.

Any way to improve temps further?

/

What settings reducing voltage will lower the temps? They are low like maxing out at 75ish but I'm curious if I can.

·
Registered
766 Posts
You could try reducing input voltage until your scores go down due to throttling and find the optimal setting there.

2761 - 2780 of 2781 Posts