Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCers!

Been out of the high end rig building and OCing for quite some time now; but i have been contemplating a new build. Ive been eyeing the i9-7900X for the cpu. while doing research, it says that it will support ddr4 2666. Am i meant to believe that this is the fastest memory i can use with this proc when the mobo will support faster?
 

·
 
Joined
·
13,017 Posts
2666Mhz is guaranteed by Intel. But the 7900x can easily go over that speed. I'd suggest 3200Mhz CL14 4x8gb ram, very easy to obtain those speeds from the cpu's IMC.

Ram can overclock past their rated speeds too. So getting up to 3600MHz+ is very possible.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: antesignani

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

2666Mhz is guaranteed by Intel. But the 7900x can easily go over that speed. I'd suggest 3200Mhz CL14 4x8gb ram, very easy to obtain those speeds from the cpu's IMC.

Ram can overclock past their rated speeds too. So getting up to 3600MHz+ is very possible.
Cool. I was eyeing these https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232409&ignorebbr=1
with this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119015&ignorebbr=1
 

·
 
Joined
·
13,017 Posts
The board is nice, I have it.

You'll want 4x8gb for quad channel. Dual channel , there will be a performance hit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

The board is nice, I have it.

You'll want 4x8gb for quad channel. Dual channel , there will be a performance hit.
Yeah buddy! i have 2 kits in my cart. Thanks for your help mang.
 

·
 
Joined
·
13,017 Posts
No problem.
thumbsupsmiley.png


I'm sure it's fine, but if you could, try and get a qualified quad channel set instead of doing two dual channel sets as quad. Never know if you could have an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm interesting. guess ill have to do some more digging on the RAM. if i do go with with the 2 separate kits, i hope it wont be an issue. Cheers brother! thanks again
thumb.gif
 

·
Avid Memer
Joined
·
5,958 Posts
RAM is RAM. If you get two identical dual channel kits, they should work just fine. Selling them in kits is simply marketing.

Rather than just throwing money at a new build, it would be better if you told us the system's intended use so we can give you better feedback on the components you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts
That is not true, there can be quite a bit of issues using memory not binned together. Such as memory IC change during production, while the part number stays the same. Do more research for yourself, save yourself the headache and get a properly binned quad channel kit. This becomes a huge issue when/if Overclocking past memory rated XMP.

Sorry should have helped with the original question

The 2666mhz is the rated speed of the 7900x, anything above that is considered overclocking. For memory speeds as stated 3200mhz still seems to be a safe spot to be and still give good performance. Most of the good Samsung B-Die 14cas memory will overclock easily above the rated 3200mhz speed. If you do not want to overclock at all get any speeds at or below 2666mhz. If you want to overclock just get whatever you want to shoot for but remember that not all IMC are created equally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

2666Mhz is guaranteed by Intel. But the 7900x can easily go over that speed. I'd suggest 3200Mhz CL14 4x8gb ram, very easy to obtain those speeds from the cpu's IMC.

Ram can overclock past their rated speeds too. So getting up to 3600MHz+ is very possible.
I have Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000MHz....8x8GB sticks (from 2 32GB packs).... so you say its possible run them higher than those 3000 with SKL-X?

Currently running them at base 2133, LOL, still with BW-E rig, which had stability issues with 64GB and XMP on...and i did not feel like fiddling around it, as i planned to go x299 anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaigh! View Post

I have Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000MHz....8x8GB sticks (from 2 32GB packs).... so you say its possible run them higher than those 3000 with SKL-X?

Currently running them at base 2133, LOL, still with BW-E rig, which had stability issues with 64GB and XMP on...and i did not feel like fiddling around it, as i planned to go x299 anyway.
With memory overclocking remember several things, a lot of how far it will overclock depends on the memory IC used on the sticks. Such as Samsung B-Die usually have quite a bit of headroom to themselves. To say how far or if you can go at all depends really on the memory itself and the CPU's IMC. I had a set of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz 15cas that would barely go to 3400mhz now I am on G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz 14cas and I have already taken it to 3600 but don't use these numbers as 100%. Second thing with memory overclocking is strong of a CPU IMC a person has lucked into. To save headaches I recommend people try and just get the speed they want, makes it a little easier knowing that all you have to work with is hoping the IMC will run it and tuning for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman2733 View Post

With memory overclocking remember several things, a lot of how far it will overclock depends on the memory IC used on the sticks. Such as Samsung B-Die usually have quite a bit of headroom to themselves. To say how far or if you can go at all depends really on the memory itself and the CPU's IMC. I had a set of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz 15cas that would barely go to 3400mhz now I am on G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz 14cas and I have already taken it to 3600 but don't use these numbers as 100%. Second thing with memory overclocking is strong of a CPU IMC a person has lucked into. To save headaches I recommend people try and just get the speed they want, makes it a little easier knowing that all you have to work with is hoping the IMC will run it and tuning for it.
Thanks.

I guess i will be happy if i will be run them at rated 3000 at least in the end, which is something i currently cannot do, not without extensive manual OCing at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmaigh! View Post

Thanks.

I guess i will be happy if i will be run them at rated 3000 at least in the end, which is something i currently cannot do, not without extensive manual OCing at least.
If you are using multiple kits of memory try and use only one kit that has been binned together, don't go off of part number but what came out of a package guaranteed to run/binned together. See if they will run that way, if so than I would maybe try and pick up a set of the exact memory you want vs multiple kits just makes it easier on you. With the prices of memory right now it is painful i will say that, my G.skill memory has gone up $84 dollars since I purchased it, and the price than was already over inflated.
 

·
Avid Memer
Joined
·
5,958 Posts
I recommend spending as little as you can on RAM. Capacity is the most important value when it comes to RAM. Faster RAM has an imperceptible difference on performance. Generally speaking, the best value usually lies around 3000 MHz. Paying significantly more for faster RAM is throwing money away.
 

·
Overclocker in training
Joined
·
14,316 Posts
Hi,
Yep started out with some existing 2666C15 from my x99 build and just switched it out to trident z 3200C16 so it is running pretty well on it
Hard or almost impossible to find unless you want to shop on ebay for some c14 3200 it's supposed to be better I've read by @DooRules

Have fun with the i9 though if you can control the heat and there will be plenty of that it can be juiced
biggrin.gif
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top