Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Dec. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Intel Corp., whose marketing made its computer chips a household name, is changing its logo for the first time in 37 years.

The dropped ``e'' in Intel will be shed in favor of a swoop around the company's name with the tag line ``Leap Ahead.'' The ``Intel Inside'' phrase, a fixture since 1991, will be dropped, Santa Clara, California-based Intel said yesterday.

Intel's image change, to coincide with next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, is part of an effort by new Chief Executive Officer Paul Otellini to push Intel into home entertainment. The company, whose processors run more than 80 percent of personal computers, is trying to gain a foothold in the consumer market to counter slowing growth in PC chips.

``Intel has been struggling to find a way out of PCs for the last six or seven years,'' said Eric Ross, an analyst at ThinkEquity Partners in New York, who rates the stock ``buy'' and doesn't own it. ``I never dreamed they'd drop `Intel Inside.' Their marketing has been exceptionally successful.''

Source- Bloomberg

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quote:

INTEL is to spend $2 billion (£1.16 billion) on a global advertising campaign in 2006 which will see the technology group dump one of the world’s most famous logos.

The group, which is based in California, says that it needs a new look because it no longer wants to be seen as a business that only makes computer processors.

Intel wants to sell consumer electronics, wireless communications and healthcare. It also wants to create all kinds of chips and software, not just microprocessors.

The revamping of Intel’s image will include a redesign of the logo, with the words “Intel Inside†replaced by “Leap Aheadâ€. The new livery will be revealed to the public on Tuesday.

Source- Times Online

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Ooo... This could be interesting. I hope the quality of cpu's dosn't go down wih the introduction of new serivces.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Woohoo! Does this mean that PC adds can say "this fantastic PC comes with an intel blah blah blah" *pause for intel inside logo and jingle*. I hate that jingle!

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by corned_beef

Woohoo! Does this mean that PC adds can say "this fantastic PC comes with an intel blah blah blah" *pause for intel inside logo and jingle*. I hate that jingle!

Greeat.. Now everyone with Intel healthcare can have "Intel inside" on the back of their necks
. But interesting.. Maybe AMD will do this as well when it gains a bit more recognition and market share.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, with intel less dominating in the CPU market, getting in to other things, people may look to a more dedicated company like AMD. Then they'll probably just do the same lol. Well, don't mean to be rude but i got a party to go to, happy new year everyone

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Wonder how good the new Logo will be.

I'm predicting something like...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I don't like this...I hate to say this but I'm a fan of intel, they're processors have never done me wrong. same for ati, lmao I must like stuff everyone hates. I'm in the minority. Intel processors might not be the fastest in the world but they do what they're supposed to do, and the do a damn good job at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually Intel is following nvidia steps
they are going to be around the pc business, but they are also going to appear in different items,like media centers and that IMHO is going to make INTEL a more known brand

maybe some people would think
"my fridge has an intel (not pentium anymore) VIIV and it rocks, I should probably buy a pc from the same manufacturer"

We all know intel doenst sell pc , but heck, that us

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
well this will be good! because its really hard to explain to people how fast my 1.8ghz amd athlon 64 is, and since they are only framiliar with intel clock speeds (and 32 bit pentium 4's too), when they think since they have a 2.6ghz intel mine sucks until i explain it for an hour that they are only framiliar with 32 bit cpus and taht 64bit is double that (i also have to explain the differences) until they just fall asleep

like for christmas i told my friend about the cpu, he was like well why didn't u stick to the older one if this one is slower (his phone broke i was yelling so loud)

this will be good for me. and also there won't be all this fanboy junk, then it makes this forum a bit shorter to scroll down with no intel section...

so its hopeless for me to tell ppl about the clock speeds so now i just tell them its basically just equivalent to 4ghz (because i convert ~3.6ghz to the inefficiency of intel P4's so about 4ghz...K its complicated!)

holy crap i just explained my life between me trying to update my friend's computer knowledge

·
Registered
18 Posts

Nvidia succeded when moving to a wider audience
why woulndt Intel?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxed

well this will be good! because its really hard to explain to people how fast my 1.8ghz amd athlon 64 is, and since they are only framiliar with intel clock speeds (and 32 bit pentium 4's too), when they think since they have a 2.6ghz intel mine sucks until i explain it for an hour that they are only framiliar with 32 bit cpus and taht 64bit is double that (i also have to explain the differences) until they just fall asleep

like for christmas i told my friend about the cpu, he was like well why didn't u stick to the older one if this one is slower (his phone broke i was yelling so loud)

this will be good for me. and also there won't be all this fanboy junk, then it makes this forum a bit shorter to scroll down with no intel section...

so its hopeless for me to tell ppl about the clock speeds so now i just tell them its basically just equivalent to 4ghz (because i convert ~3.6ghz to the inefficiency of intel P4's so about 4ghz...K its complicated!)

holy crap i just explained my life between me trying to update my friend's computer knowledge

AMD processors are not faster because they are 64 bit. They only have the advantage of being able to run 64 bit applications. And Intels 64 bit cpus use AMD's 64 bit instruction set, so intel has 64 bit too. What gives Athlons their performance advantage is that they use shorter pipelines. When a process starts it has to go all the way through the pipeline, so an Athlon can do more work per clock cycle than a P4. However, in doing repetitive tasks, such as video compressing/converting or audio encoding, intels longer pipeline architecture theoretically has an advantage. With the latest AMD processors, however, an intel chip cant even beat an AMD in a task like this. Another advantage Athlon64s have is the integrated memory controller. On Athlon XPs as well as pentium boards, there is a memory controller on the motherboards, and the longer distance between the cpu and the memorory controller does not allow the high memory performance that athlon 64s offer. I was surprised to find when i switched from an athlon xp to a 64 that my memory bandwidth almost doubled using the same ram at the same speed.

So please dont falsly tell people that it is because of 64 bit that athlon 64s are better. It is because of their more efficient architecture and integrated memory controller.

O and just so im on topic, i think intels new logo is just a scheme to make people look at them. Im sure it will be effective, but i doubt we will be seeing intel anywhere outside the processor market any time soon.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EQMSNM

maybe some people would think
"my fridge has an intel (not pentium anymore) VIIV and it rocks, I should probably buy a pc from the same manufacturer"

*** is VIIV?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I utterly hate these logos, they're just so weak

They really are horrible

So intimidating with their white backgrounds, baby blue text (server chips look better), and their very manly domed top making them boobie shaped

Just makes me wanna vommit, they even cheap out, just using 2-tone blue.

Make them square, make them orange and blue, make the background silver, then we'll take, until then, I might just get a friggin AMD, coz hell if I'm adorning my wonderful case with that *****e

1 - 20 of 21 Posts