Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I just bought my first AMD laptop in a long time. I ran Cinebench R20 and it seems to be underperforming. When I looked up "Cinebench R20 5800H" I found that this processor should score around 5051 multicore but I am seeing around 4500. Now before you say anything, yes I know this is not a Genuine Intel®. Yes, I am aware when you get bad silicon on AMD, its REALLY bad. No, I did not expect this to compete with my 10700K on ANY level. You know how Ford hooks you with their slogan "Have you driven a Ford lately" and it turns out that Ford always has been and always will be garbage? Well I haven't driven an AMD lately. After hearing good things about the latest AMD CPUS, I wanted to see what this whole Risen thing was about and if AMD has improved since my last experience with the Turion64 and the OG Slot A Athlon which I overclocked with a goldfinger device daughterboard.

I attached a HWInfo64 screenshot to help with diagnosis. I held the laptop in the air for the run to make sure the fans were not blocked by the table. Everything is set to maximum performance in advanced power settings. Is there some other power setting I am not aware of, or does AMD have software I need to install to maximize performance? Thanks in advance! With your help, I would like to add [Solved] to the title of this thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
appears that it isn't boosting nvm I see it is getting to the 4400mhz. But I dont think the IF should be dropping down like that. And it's getting pretty hot, hitting 90, so throttling. See if the bios has options for pbo and try enabling that, and also if you can lock in the IF. I've never seen the IF bounce around like that

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
appears that it isn't boosting nvm I see it is getting to the 4400mhz. But I dont think the IF should be dropping down like that. And it's getting pretty hot, hitting 90, so throttling. See if the bios has options for pbo and try enabling that, and also if you can lock in the IF. I've never seen the IF bounce around like that
No, you were right. I took this screenshot during the middle of the run for 48 seconds and its not boosting past 3418. Maybe I should repaste? This is a laptop and the bios is totally locked down.

·
PC Evangelist
47,543 Posts
I have Dell XP13 with 1165 and Thinkpad with 4750U and AMD laptop is far superior. Better battery life, better performance, lower laptop temperature.

·
Registered
981 Posts
That thing is throttling. If it's the same body as a buddy's Omen then the body can't keep it cool. Nothing to do with AMD. There's just no way it can handle 65W of heat.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,483 Posts
@0451 did you try turning DF C-States off on bios?? does your BIOS have an AMD overclocking menu??

That IF downclocking doesn't seem to be normal..that holds performance back as it also downclocks the memory frequency..also what power plan were you using?? (Though surely its a laptop so its probably better off with power saver or balanced for battery life)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That thing is throttling. If it's the same body as a buddy's Omen then the body can't keep it cool. Nothing to do with AMD. There's just no way it can handle 65W of heat.
This is also an Omen. I considered cooling. However, the RTX 3060 is pulling 105w during gaming with a temperature of 64C. The CPU should be pulling much less than that in Cinebench. That's what leads me to believe this is a bad bin. This same CPU is also available as a 5800HS, 5900HX, 5980HS, and 5980HX. IMO a CPU this bad should have been binned as a 5600H, but AMD.

@0451 did you try turning DF C-States off on bios?? does your BIOS have an AMD overclocking menu??

That IF downclocking doesn't seem to be normal..that holds performance back as it also downclocks the memory frequency..also what power plan were you using?? (Though surely its a laptop so its probably better off with power saver or balanced for battery life)
I am using the High Performance power plan. The laptop is plugged in during use. There are no overclocking settings in the bios.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,071 Posts
I was going to say something along these lines. Thank you.

So yeah @0451, this is likely a poor laptop design for this CPU.

·
OG AMD
8,964 Posts

I appreciate your well thought out and helpful reply. I only want to add [Solved] to the title of this thread.

I just tried repasting with no success. I have an alternative theory that the Vega8 and RTX 3060 are both using power and this is limiting the amount of power available to the CPU, but then again the temp is 90C.
What have you solved?
Have you figured out that your laptop is throttling your Nvidia GPU in your hwinfo screen and not your AMD CPU?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Amd cpus perform better with balanced power plan believe it or not. Also respond very well temp-wise to under-volting which is unfortunate because you can't access the bios

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What have you solved?
Have you figured out that your laptop is throttling your Nvidia GPU in your hwinfo screen and not your AMD CPU?
I would like to believe this too, trust me. However, I am not sure Cinebench R20 CPU test uses much of that GPU. I think what we are seeing is that big block Ampere with a lopey camshaft guzzling power at idle. The GPU is not idling. Rather, it is not being used during the test.

Again I considered cooling. However, the RTX 3060 is pulling 105w during gaming with a temperature of 64C. The CPU has a much lower TDP.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,562 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,973 Posts
Sounds like a laptop design problem, not a CPU problem.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,071 Posts
Your expectations are too high, a model number would be helpful to see what the TDP target is for the processor.

min: 4510 avg: 4694 median: 4734 (45%) max: 4815 Points

This. The 5051 score is the absolute highest I can find when I Google Cinebench R20 5800H. Most scores I'm finding are a few hundred points lower. So, I think the 5051 score was carefully cherry-picked.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hi Guys. I just bought my first AMD laptop in a long time. I ran Cinebench R20 and it seems to be underperforming. When I looked up "Cinebench R20 5800H" I found that this processor should score around 5051 multicore but I am seeing around 4500. Now before you say anything, yes I know this is not a Genuine Intel®. Yes, I am aware when you get bad silicon on AMD, its REALLY bad.
........and when you get bad silicon on intel, it's really bad aswell. 8700k wouldnt go past 4.8ghz without 1.4v, when you have so many of them doing 5ghz between 1.2v and 1.3v.
No, I did not expect this to compete with my 10700K on ANY level. You know how Ford hooks you with their slogan "Have you driven a Ford lately" and it turns out that Ford always has been and always will be garbage? Well I haven't driven an AMD lately. After hearing good things about the latest AMD CPUS, I wanted to see what this whole Risen thing was about and if AMD has improved since my last experience with the Turion64 and the OG Slot A Athlon which I overclocked with a goldfinger device daughterboard.
Subjectivity IS (spoiler alert!!!), S.U.B.J.E.C.T.I.V.E. You can't teach a blind man to see.... Also depends on the use case of each person.
I attached a HWInfo64 screenshot to help with diagnosis.
You kind of need one too.
I held the laptop in the air for the run to make sure the fans were not blocked by the table. Everything is set to maximum performance in advanced power settings. Is there some other power setting I am not aware of..........
mmmmmm...........life?!! the answer is definitely LIFE!! Laptop manufacturers do tend to pull a lot of shenanigans with power profiles and cooling in order to save costs. It's not even a matter of AMD vs Intel...... and it varies a lot. If you didn´t notice it while watching reviews before buying, one...... well i guess you found out now!. (there's also a fairly common practice, where a manufacturer will pop out a new product quite cheaply then change parts for lower quality ones down the road after reviews come out and the heat passes, like RAM assemblers do with chips, like it happens with SSDs and controllers, phones with screens and other parts.....and a very long etc...)
Welcome to real world!

Have a nice day......and it's nice to know you solved it.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,483 Posts
Seems HP overdid their homework on limits for your laptop..on an MSI or ROG it wouldn't be that much..seems your issues is well within the firmware programming/settings/limits set by HP and not by AMD..

·
Iconoclast
31,122 Posts
The 5800H can be configured from 35w to 45w TDP. AMD assumes 45w in their materials, and most performance laptops use 45w for their 5800Hs. However, your CPU is hitting the PPT limit at 54w, which means the TDP has been configured to 40w (PPT is 1.35*TDP), and is reaching 90C which means there is no thermal headroom to set it higher. Anything scoring near 5000 points is set to 45w by the OEM and has better cooling.

4500 is an entirely normal result for a 5800H set to 40w.

Setting everything to maximum performance probably isn't helping either, because best boost behavior is generally achieved when idle silicon can go dark, leaving power and thermal headroom for the active parts of the CPU. This is doubly true for a laptop. That said, C6 doesn't seem to be disabled, so you haven't turned off all power management features. Still, trying balanced power settings might be worthwhile to see if it does anything.

• Rep+
Reactions: AVATARAT and 0451

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,702 Posts
Hm. I took Threadripper 1900x with decent x399 board and spent months tweaking to get from 3100 to 4020 in Cinebench R20. There is also some room for higher performance, but i opted for better stability instead. This is exactly why i prefer desktop for OC or performance, while i dont use laptops for anything demanding.

I would guess that you can mod the cooling. Better thermal paste, maybe some fan-equipped stand.

Then there is something i learned quite recentlly. I use Prime95 and CPUID HWmonitor to tweak CPU performance to a specific power consumption during stress test. Desktop MB and bios have a lot of possible switches and allow to increase performance by other means. Like memory interleaving set for 256 bytes overall increases CPU power consumption by 3 watts compared to 512 bytes, but the measured performance by R20 is about the same.

• Rep+
Reactions: 0451

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 5800H can be configured from 35w to 45w TDP. AMD assumes 45w in their materials, and most performance laptops use 45w for their 5800Hs. However, your CPU is hitting the PPT limit at 54w, which means the TDP has been configured to 40w (PPT is 1.35*TDP), and is reaching 90C which means there is no thermal headroom to set it higher. Anything scoring near 5000 points is set to 45w by the OEM and has better cooling.

4500 is an entirely normal result for a 5800H set to 40w.

Setting everything to maximum performance probably isn't helping either, because best boost behavior is generally achieved when idle silicon can go dark, leaving power and thermal headroom for the active parts of the CPU. This is doubly true for a laptop. That said, C6 doesn't seem to be disabled, so you haven't turned off all power management features. Still, trying balanced power settings might be worthwhile to see if it does anything.
Thanks for your help! This is by far the most plausible explanation. I knew it wasn't the cooling because I flashed (what I believe is) a 130w bios to my 3060 and it sustained almost 2,000 mhz at only 73C in Port Royal which shouldn't be possible. I don't know how much power it was pulling and I don't think the laptop knows either. Most of the parameters were missing from GPU-Z monitoring.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (notebook) video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 5800H,HP 88D1 (3dmark.com)

Hm. I took Threadripper 1900x with decent x399 board and spent months tweaking to get from 3100 to 4020 in Cinebench R20. There is also some room for higher performance, but i opted for better stability instead. This is exactly why i prefer desktop for OC or performance, while i dont use laptops for anything demanding.

I would guess that you can mod the cooling. Better thermal paste, maybe some fan-equipped stand.

Then there is something i learned quite recentlly. I use Prime95 and CPUID HWmonitor to tweak CPU performance to a specific power consumption during stress test. Desktop MB and bios have a lot of possible switches and allow to increase performance by other means. Like memory interleaving set for 256 bytes overall increases CPU power consumption by 3 watts compared to 512 bytes, but the measured performance by R20 is about the same.
I will try liquid metal when I get home from the UK. Seems all I can do now is work on the cooling.

I'm sorry for making you say "again" here. I didn't see where you said this before because of the timing of our posts.
I know you read everything thoroughly so I figured as much.

Your expectations are too high, a model number would be helpful to see what the TDP target is for the processor.

min: 4510 avg: 4694 median: 4734 (45%) max: 4815 Points
Makes me feel a bit better I suppose.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Looks like thermal throttling on the CPU and it's adjusting clock-speeds, which is normal. You're also basing your score off what is likely a cherry-picked result. I bet if you put the laptop next to an A/C and let the cold air run through it, you'd get closer to the 5000 mark.

Ultimately laptop silicon is the same as what we use in desktops; it's a lottery. The fact you can't change/upgrade the cooling doesn't help either.

Regardless, do you think the 500 points in Cinebench amount to much in real-world usage? The 5800 is quite powerful for a mobile chip, and I'd venture to say you're likely to be GPU bound in most cases anyway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts