Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys think they'll go into the gpu market for gaming?

i personally like their intel hd 3000. and i heard the intel hd 4000 was up to 2x better and packed with features.

if they dedicate a whole processor for just GPU process you think they'll have something good?

not having a huge graphics card mount on my motherboard is pretty convenient especially for cooling.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
They could be good there. Intel HD 3000 is quite good actually. They could, but most likely not going into the dedicated GPU range.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire View Post

They could be good there. Intel HD 3000 is quite good actually. They could, but most likely not going into the dedicated GPU range.
theres a lot of money to be made in that market though
thumb.gif

the overclocking potential is INSANE. 100% overclock???
got a 2500k hd 3000 to 1900mhz.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Intel is desperately trying to build a GPU: they've even gone for a discrete one with Larabee/Knights Corner... but it didn't work. GPUs are AMD's ace in the hole, and the one thing (aside from ARM) Intel doesn't have, and won't catch up on anytime soon.

See, Intel is slowly growing a GPU out of their CPU. They'll be sticking with integrated graphics for awhile, as it's easy to sell when its on the same die as their top of the line CPUs. Haswell will bring improvements, but don't expect anything much faster than a 6670.

Over at Red camp, AMD managed to duct tape a decent GPU and CPU together with their APU, and are... improving the tape.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Intel is desperately trying to build a GPU: they've even gone for a discrete one with Larabee/Knights Corner... but it didn't work. GPUs are AMD's ace in the hole, and the one thing (aside from ARM) Intel doesn't have, and won't catch up on anytime soon.
See, Intel is slowly growing a GPU out of their CPU. They'll be sticking with integrated graphics for awhile, as it's easy to sell when its on the same die as their top of the line CPUs. Haswell will bring improvements, but don't expect anything much faster than a 6670.
Over at Red camp, AMD managed to duct tape a decent GPU and CPU together with their APU, and are... improving the tape.
LOOLLOLLL

i thought with the amount of money intel has they could easily pull out a gpu from their bottomless wallet
rolleyes.gif

it would be sweet to install a GPU the same way you install a GPU.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post

LOOLLOLLL
i thought with the amount of money intel has they could easily pull out a gpu from their bottomless wallet
rolleyes.gif

it would be sweet to install a GPU the same way you install a CPU.
If Intel's good at one thing, its NOT GPUs.

That would be pretty sweet. If AMD/Nvidia got a single socket/standard together, you could put your GPU chip on the mobo, place RAM chips in slots for however much memory you want at whatever bandwidth, use good VRMs on a nice mobo, and install a good tower heatsink that could cool any chip.

They kind of do this with mobile laptop boards and APUs already, but a full fledged, customizable GPU right on the mobo would be awesome.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:

That would be pretty sweet. If AMD/Nvidia got a single socket/standard together, you could put your GPU chip on the mobo, place RAM chips in slots for however much memory you want at whatever bandwidth, use good VRMs on a nice mobo, and install a good tower heatsink that could cool any chip.
They kind of do this with mobile laptop boards and APUs already, but a full fledged, customizable GPU right on the mobo would be awesome.
Then you'd need dual Hyper 212+'s for both
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yeah, I ran my HD 3000 at 1700MHz 24/7 with an extra .08v

·
Registered
Phenom 940X @ 3.1 Ghz
3,285 Posts
The fact that I lack any programming background and I knew larabee would fail (because x86 can't do it) is proof to me Intel is not serious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Quote:

Hmm, a concept kinda like a mobo without integrated graphics but in its place sits a socket like for a CPU..
Hmmm, the money needed for a mobo to handle something like that would be CRAZY...
I think thats why they have stuck to add in cards which have all the do-hickys and thinga-ma-bobs the GPU needs to operate...still a COOL idea

·
Premium Member
11,112 Posts
Quote:

It is not quite good at all! What are you people thinking? Compared to their several years older integrated graphics solutions, yes, it is much better. Compared to similar products from AMD they not competitive at all. I don't think the gaming gpu market is one Intel is really interested in and not one they have a chance at competing in anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

It is not quite good at all! What are you people thinking? Compared to their several years older integrated graphics solutions, yes, it is much better. Compared to similar products from AMD they not competitive at all. I don't think the gaming gpu market is one Intel is really interested in and not one they have a chance at competing in anytime soon.
but amd used actual GPU cores that has been matured. intel igpu feels like a modified regular core...

nvidia should sell intel their GPU core so they can just throw it in their CPUs like what AMD is doing.

i dont expect them to combine a i7 3770k with a GTX 780* in a single package but would be epic.

*(they skipped the 600 series name right? i think they are using it for mobile like the 300 series)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Quote:

Dude. HD 3000 ran Crysis on medium settings 1366x768 2xAA at 40FPS. Overclocked to 1700MHz, it did High Settings at 60FPS.
DX9 though. It did pretty well on DX10 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post

but amd used actual GPU cores that has been matured. intel igpu feels like a modified regular core...
nvidia should sell intel their GPU core so they can just throw it in their CPUs like what AMD is doing.
i dont expect them to combine a i7 3770k with a GTX 780* in a single package but would be epic.
*(they skipped the 600 series name right? i think they are using it for mobile like the 300 series)
That would be so awesome.. They could double the die size and put a dedicated GPU in with the CPU. It would be cool if they could do that with an i3 2100 and a HD 6850, let alone that.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Quote:

I hope so, Will be a very sad day if dedicated gpu's come under threat

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

its way too early for a highend gpu to get replaced by this idea.

the CPU package would need to sustain over 300watts of power at least.
too risky for them right now.

theres something wrong with this kind of tech advancement. CPUs should use less power because the dies are shrinking but were still buying 850w+ power supplys
tongue.gif

when AMD put their 6550D in their FM1. intel should at least look into it.

maybe after a few more generations this would be vastly easier.
Quote:

Quote:

Dude. HD 3000 ran Crysis on medium settings 1366x768 2xAA at 40FPS. Overclocked to 1700MHz, it did High Settings at 60FPS.
DX9 though. It did pretty well on DX10 as well.
That would be so awesome.. They could double the die size and put a dedicated GPU in with the CPU. It would be cool if they could do that with an i3 2100 and a HD 6850, let alone that.
i dont think Intel would put a AMD product in their CPU
rolleyes.gif

right now only GPUs with a lower power consumption is possible.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Its funny how Intel's only serious attempt at high end graphics (Larrabee) turned into a cloud computing unit (Knights Ferry)
rolleyes.gif
. Intel does what intel does best and that is CPU's.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4ME View Post

Intel will have no choice but to follow AMD and start producing APUs as that is the best value/performance proposition for mainstream PC users.
While this is true, In the long term future dedicated gpu's could be sold only for the hardcore enthusiasts and we may find some mid range cards being obsolete if onboard gpu's can match them

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

While this is true, In the long term future dedicated gpu's could be sold only for the hardcore enthusiasts and we may find some mid range cards being obsolete if onboard gpu's can match them
i dont think anyone will complain. but the high-end gamers would have to pay a bit more then usual. seeing that they would need to disable the onboard iGPU to use their dedicated graphics card.
unless intel makes the iGPU run as a secondary (physx) card for the high-end. which is better then it doing nothing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.