Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've found (accidentally) that Intel 1225V is very problematic - It's featured on Z490 motherboards and Z590 motherboards. Apparently there is a revision B1, B2 & B3 for this LAN controller.

I just bought Asus Z590-A which I've not used yet and maybe too late to return.

One or two sources online mentioned a fix that may work but many have made no progress with this and its caused lots of frustrations amongst Intel faithful.

I thought I'd ask here about this as I hopefully may get some good solutions (if they exist).

Different firmware versions for the LAN has been suggested (where from?)
And different drivers for the LAN as well.

Any info please - 馃槵

Iconoclast
Most Z590s should have the newest stepping, but even if yours is afflicted by the bug you mention, it will only occur if you're connecting the board to specific 2.5Gbps devices that use a smaller IPG than eight bytes. Specifications allows down to bytes, so the problem is on the Intel side of things, but there are plenty of routers and switches that stick to 8 byte IPG at 2.5Gbps.

You should check to see what revision of the NIC you have, and if your switch/router/whatever is compatible with it. If not, the workaround is to use a 1Gbps link. The firmware updates will detect a shorter IGP and kick the connection down to 1Gbps automatically.

• Rep+
Reactions: techenth

Registered
I chose a board with the i219V instead, just to avoid issues with i225V, knowing that it was a hardware issue. Good thing that firmware can improve the situation!

Iconoclast
I chose a board with the i219V instead, just to avoid issues with i225V, knowing that it was a hardware issue. Good thing that firmware can improve the situation!
Even the first stepping of the i225V can run gigabit speeds just fine with no driver or firmware patches. And if you're not plugging the i225V into another 2.5Gbps capable device and trying to use it at a 2.5Gbps rate, there is no way to induce the bug.

Registered
Most Z590s should have the newest stepping, but even if yours is afflicted by the bug you mention, it will only occur if you're connecting the board to specific 2.5Gbps devices that use a smaller IPG than eight bytes. Specifications allows down to bytes, so the problem is on the Intel side of things, but there are plenty of routers and switches that stick to 8 byte IPG at 2.5Gbps.

You should check to see what revision of the NIC you have, and if your switch/router/whatever is compatible with it. If not, the workaround is to use a 1Gbps link. The firmware updates will detect a shorter IGP and kick the connection down to 1Gbps automatically.
How to change to 1gbps link

Iconoclast
  • Rep+
Reactions: Solohuman
1 - 8 of 8 Posts