Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Been having a really annoying problem.

I used the auto OC feature on the mobo, and run a 4.8 Ghz. without any problems so far.

But CPU-Z shows that the CPU is running at 1.6 Ghz. when I don't do anything. Under load, it runs at 4.8 Ghz.

So basically it keeps jumping back and forth...

I disabled all the "normal" stuff like Intel Speedstep, Thermal Throttle, Spread Spectrum and so on...

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by chronostorm
View Post

have you tried not using the auto OC feature and just setting the OC yourself?

Yeah, and that goes to Hell!

I mess it up everytime, and I don't wanna mess around with it anymore. Get my brother to do it for me.

The only thing I need is for that down/up throttling to go away!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump...

No one knows how to make it go away?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Dude... Its completely normal.

98% of people with sandy bridge CPU's leave it ON. Because it just works better with SB. There is NO reason to run at 4.8Ghz all the time.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyph3r
View Post

Dude... Its completely normal.

98% of people with sandy bridge CPU's leave it ON. Because it just works better with SB. There is NO reason to run at 4.8Ghz all the time.

But how can you be sure that your clock is stable then? :S

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitePrQjser
View Post

But how can you be sure that your clock is stable then? :S

....What in earth are you on about? I don't think you understand what the CPU is doing.

When the CPU is IDLE, i.e. NOT doing anything, it'll clock down to 1.6ghz, because it's not needed.

However when the CPU is placed under any sort of load, it'll bump up to 4.8Ghz or whatever you set it to.

So if you run prime95, or intel burn test, or linx, or ANY OTHER PROGRAM THAT STRESSES THE CPU. You'll be able to see if its stable at 4.8ghz. Because its running at 4.8ghz. Like normal.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

....What in earth are you on about? I don't think you understand what the CPU is doing.

When the CPU is IDLE, i.e. NOT doing anything, it'll clock down to 1.6ghz, because it's not needed.

However when the CPU is placed under any sort of load, it'll bump up to 4.8Ghz or whatever you set it to.

So if you run prime95, or intel burn test, or linx, or ANY OTHER PROGRAM THAT STRESSES THE CPU. You'll be able to see if its stable at 4.8ghz. Because its running at 4.8ghz. Like normal.

I knew that... But somehow, I don't know why I said that...

But how come on the previous platforms, you had to shut those features off?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I have never shut that particular feature off on any of my OC's. I don't mind if it drops down when its not loaded.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Because on previous platforms, EIST, speedstep etc etc sometimes interfered with overclocks.

But this is NOT the case with sandy bridge. Leave them on dude. It's less stress on it aswell, so it'll live longer seems you won't be pumping full speed and vcore through it all the time.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
View Post

Did you disable c1,c3,c6?

No, because I've never heard of it before, so thought it was important :S

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

Just had prime95 test running for an hour on the 4.8 Ghz. "auto oc", and max temp was 76 degrees on 1.42V.

Guess I can do better, but it's alright for now

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
View Post

Did you disable c1,c3,c6?

How about those?

What are they good for anyway?

Quote:

View Post

Because on previous platforms, EIST, speedstep etc etc sometimes interfered with overclocks.

But this is NOT the case with sandy bridge. Leave them on dude. It's less stress on it aswell, so it'll live longer seems you won't be pumping full speed and vcore through it all the time.

Yeah, okay, sounds logical

Think I'll just turn them on again.

How about Spread Spectrum, Thermal Throttling, that Virtual thingy? And stuff like that?

But how come my Windows 7 x64 still shows my processor being 3.30 Ghz.?

I mean, if you go to Properties on "Computer", and you check which CPU, you have it says:

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz"

Now shouldn't that last "3.30 GHz" actually be a "4.8 GHz"? :S

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:

View Post

How about those?

What are they good for anyway?

Yeah, okay, sounds logical

Think I'll just turn them on again.

How about Spread Spectrum, Thermal Throttling, that Virtual thingy? And stuff like that?

But how come my Windows 7 x64 still shows my processor being 3.30 Ghz.?

I mean, if you go to Properties on "Computer", and you check which CPU, you have it says:

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.30 GHz"

Now shouldn't that last "3.30 GHz" actually be a "4.8 GHz"? :S

Windows does that for whatever reason. Check with CPU-Z if you want to be sure of what your current clocks are!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by killeraxemannic
View Post

Windows does that for whatever reason. Check with CPU-Z if you want to be sure of what your current clocks are!

Yeah, I just found it strange

My current clock is 4.8 GHz!

Gonna bump it to 5.0 GHz later, but 4.8 is good for auto clock stable

But one thing is strange. I know that we [email protected] Experience Index, but when my CPU is stock it scores 7.6, but when OC'ed to 4.8 it only goes up to 7.7... What's up with that? Shouldn't it be 7.9 after that?

- WEI can be used to impress the noobs that don't know benchmarks

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump...

Can somebody tell me?
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Not the best to use WEI, but I'm assuming the the rest of the .2 is from the number of threads you have. I'm sitting at 7.7 and I believe people with HyperThreading will be set at 7.9 given it is OC'd.

As such, I wouldn't even bother since noobs wouldn't even know what is what and I would leave at that. (Saying that last line feels like a tongue twister
)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Versa
View Post

Not the best to use WEI, but I'm assuming the the rest of the .2 is from the number of threads you have. I'm sitting at 7.7 and I believe people with HyperThreading will be set at 7.9 given it is OC'd.

As such, I wouldn't even bother since noobs wouldn't even know what is what and I would leave at that. (Saying that last line feels like a tongue twister
)

Haha! Totally with you on that "last line" thing

Yeah, I know, but does the i5-2500k not have HyperThreading?

The WEI is for noobs, but it's kind of a fun way for my friends and I to compare results

1 - 19 of 19 Posts