Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought one additional 7970 to run in crossfire, but the experience in BF3 multiplayer was not so good. My processor is overclocked to 4GHz now, and I cant OC more until I get my water cooling. On all ultra I have between 60-100 fps, but mostly around 70 fps. If I use only one card I get the same fps (around 80 fps average). There is hardly any difference between running one card or two. If I check the MSI Afterburner, I have about 55-60% GPU usage on both cards. I have about 70-80% CPU usage while gaming. When alot of things happening in the game in multiplayer fps drops to about 55 and it feels laggy. Both cards are running at 1050/1400. It is about 10-15 fps difference between low and everything on ultra in crossfire, which is weird.

If I run single player, I get around 150-200 fps and gpu usage is around 70-80%. I tested the Heaven benchmark and the gpu usage is 95-99% for both the cards. If I run BF3 with only one card, I get 99% GPU usage.

My spec:
i5 3570k @ 4GHz
MSI z77a GD65 (latest bios)
16 gb frame
1000w PSU (fractal design)
Catalyst 2.13 beta 6 drivers.

As I understand it, it's my cpu that limits the gpu usage in crossfire and gives me low fps. Do you think this problem will be fixed when I go back to my normal clock, that is 4.8Ghz? Im not planning to run all ultra, but with my custom settings, I get 70-120 fps with one card, and I hope to get at least 120 fps with two 7970s. I play at 1080p and have vsync off.

What do you think about this issue?

/Az

·
Owner of 20 SSDs
4,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

More cpu clock will make it a non-issue however bf3 will put HT to great use if you had it.
HT isn't as useless as it used to be for games... Crysis 3 itself shows quite a boost from HT to the point where it's noticeably over non-HT cpus.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

Thanks for your advice, I really hope my cpu bottleneck the gpus, because then I can overclock-rid the problems. If not, I dont know what to do. BF3 is the only game I have tested.

·
Registered
52 Posts
4.5 ghz overclock will a good boost in fps. I have gtx 670 sli and i5 3570k clocked at 4.5 ghz.
I am trying to get to 5ghz zone because i still want more fps and gpu usage. If you can hit 5ghz can you tell me the difference from 4.5.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quark004 View Post

4.5 ghz overclock will a good boost in fps. I have gtx 670 sli and i5 3570k clocked at 4.5 ghz.
I am trying to get to 5ghz zone because i still want more fps and gpu usage. If you can hit 5ghz can you tell me the difference from 4.5.
not a huge differance in 4.5 and 5.0 in terms of gaming ive had both. in fact the sweet spot i found was 4.6 ghz atleast for my 2500k that is

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachAz View Post

Hello,

I recently bought one additional 7970 to run in crossfire, but the experience in BF3 multiplayer was not so good. My processor is overclocked to 4GHz now, and I cant OC more until I get my water cooling. On all ultra I have between 60-100 fps, but mostly around 70 fps. If I use only one card I get the same fps (around 80 fps average). There is hardly any difference between running one card or two. If I check the MSI Afterburner, I have about 55-60% GPU usage on both cards. I have about 70-80% CPU usage while gaming. When alot of things happening in the game in multiplayer fps drops to about 55 and it feels laggy. Both cards are running at 1050/1400. It is about 10-15 fps difference between low and everything on ultra in crossfire, which is weird.

If I run single player, I get around 150-200 fps and gpu usage is around 70-80%. I tested the Heaven benchmark and the gpu usage is 95-99% for both the cards. If I run BF3 with only one card, I get 99% GPU usage.

My spec:
i5 3570k @ 4GHz
MSI z77a GD65 (latest bios)
16 gb frame
1000w PSU (fractal design)
Catalyst 2.13 beta 6 drivers.

As I understand it, it's my cpu that limits the gpu usage in crossfire and gives me low fps. Do you think this problem will be fixed when I go back to my normal clock, that is 4.8Ghz? Im not planning to run all ultra, but with my custom settings, I get 70-120 fps with one card, and I hope to get at least 120 fps with two 7970s. I play at 1080p and have vsync off.

What do you think about this issue?

/Az
what cooling are you running i was able to obtain a stable 4.5 ghz overclock on a 2500k with on a h50 cooler and i can do much higher with my custom loop

·
PC Evangelist
47,792 Posts
Yes in BF3 depending on the MAP the CPU will hold you back.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

HT isn't as useless as it used to be for games... Crysis 3 itself shows quite a boost from HT to the point where it's noticeably over non-HT cpus.
That's the exact point he is making.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after even more testing it seems my cpu is holding me back (4Ghz), depending on map and players I get different fps, and also depending on where on the map I am. In base I have much higher fps, but it gets lower around flags etc. I have 120hz screen so im very fps sensitive.

I ran 4.8Ghz with 1.32 Vcore I believe with my old waterloop, game stable and 6 hours benchmark stable before I aborted the test. I tried to underclock my cpu, to around 3Ghz and it it was like 15-20 fps differance between 3ghz and 4ghz. As it is now, it really seems like my i5 is too weak at current clocks to fully take advantage of two 7979 in cf.

I dont know what else to do, before I try my original OC setup. I have tried each card individualy, and it runs butter smooth with more stable fps regardles of map and players. Its just in CF I get huge fps drops, and lower average than with one card. If I knew I would CF I would probably have bought a I7 3770k or a LGA2011 system.

Other people say they get like 120 fps average in bf3 multiplayer on all ultra with i5 3570k and 7970 in cf, so im really confused. I will try to upload some screens from MSI afterburner so you all can see fps and gpu usage from a session of bf3 multiplayer. You will see that the gpu usage is related to the fps. The lower gpu usage, the lower fps (if i remember correctly).

·
Premium Member
20,744 Posts
if you can get that 4.8 stable back your issues will disappear. with only one 7950 stock and my chip at 4.5GHz (i7SB), i can maintain 60 minimum at caspian 64 using ultra and 4msaa. when the chip is at stock, it goes down to the low 50s.

ht off (basically an i5) my minimum is about 10fps lower compared to ht on. your i5 ivy at 4GHz is equal to an i5 sb at 4.4ghz. the gpus are just so fast for it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a upload from MIS afterburner, where you can see the fps and gpu usage. Fps was like 80 average I believe, but with huge drops down to low 60s, highest was like 120 fps. This isnt on all ultra but custom, with mesh quality ultra and 16x, 4xmsaa. Rest of the settings on high and medium.

It was multiplayer, bandar desert around 55 players.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
You are not bottlenecking. GPU usage is proper.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you even read the whole thread? I get the same or even lower fps with two cards, with exeption from beeing in base or lower populated areas.

·
Registered
557 Posts
GPU-usage isnt proper...Something is seriously wrong, could 4GHz 3570k REALLY bottleneck 2x7970s that badly? I know that I get 80-90fps average with max settings @1080p 72Hz in every 64p full map except Gulf of Oman with [email protected],5GHz+a SINGLE [email protected]/1500MHz , and he also said he gets the same fps with a single card (99% usage I assume).

You would know if you overclocked your cpu to 4,5GHz
smile.gif

@Stay Puft, rdr09 has posted his benchies several times with a SINGLE HD7950, and I believe him because I´ve seen other 2600/2700k users post their benchies with HT on vs HT off, HT certainly helps even with a single-card solutions, more so with as much GPU horsepower as HD7970 crossfire.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youpekkad View Post

GPU-usage isnt proper...Something is seriously wrong, could 4GHz 3570k REALLY bottleneck 2x7970s that badly? I know that I get 80-90fps average with max settings @1080p 72Hz in every 64p full map except Gulf of Oman with [email protected],5GHz+a SINGLE [email protected]/1500MHz , and he also said he gets the same fps with a single card (99% usage I assume).

You would know if you overclocked your cpu to 4,5GHz
smile.gif

@Stay Puft, rdr09 has posted his benchies several times with a SINGLE HD7950, and I believe him because I´ve seen other 2600/2700k users post their benchies with HT on vs HT off, HT certainly helps even with a single-card solutions, more so with as much GPU horsepower as HD7970 crossfire.
500mhz/4000 = 12.5% increase in clockspeed can provide MAXIMALLY 12.5% increase in frames right? Of course it won't scale that high. So him clocking higher won't be the end all but it'll help nevertheless, it's half a GHz!
thumb.gif
OCN here

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.