Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was looking to see how many PCIe lanes Kaby lake had. Well I looked into the mother board I have and it stated that there are 24 PCIe lanes avaialable. I thought great until I looked at the CPU and Intel i5 7600K it ONLY has 16 lanes.. I checked ARK and that is what it stated..

Well why is Intel doing this and limiting the Lanes to only 16 on the CPU when the Motherboard can handle so much more..

So since I use an aftermarket soundcard I found my video card is now only running at x8.. I am just curious to what is going on with this weirdness..

https://ark.intel.com/products/97144/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

·
Senior OCN Member
39,891 Posts
Dont forget that the chipset itself also have a number of lanes so you do have 24 in total 16 on the CPU and 8 on the chipset

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Why? To force your hand to buy a bigger and better chip.
AMD left them enabled in comparison.

As for the board, it must support any CPU compatible with that socket (to an extent in a few cases).

Stings doesn't it?
I'd love to upgrade from Haswell but until AMD can run 144hz or until Intel feels the pressure to stop gimping their chips because there was no other option for sometime, I'll hang on to my precious monies.
It's for a similar reason they disabled BCLK overclocking on locked down chips like non K and i3 when Skylake hit.

Things will get shaken up soon now that AMD is swinging back harder than ever in the 8th round while Intel got cocky and stopped blocking. Feel free to poke holes in that statement lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I understand for the money part I was just in general thinking that the CPU has 16 lanes and I thought that was as many as I have available.. but the other post stets I have 8 more lanes in the Motherboard is that how it works..

So my Vid card is still running the 16 lanes and 2 for the sound card so I have 6 left over for the M.2 Drive??

I am trying to see how many true PCIe lanes are on my PC.. if it is 16 then that totally sucks,.. If it is 24 that is a bit better but still sucks.. but at least with 24 I could be good for what I want to do..

I can not afford those real high end Intels and basically I see no need for it yet.. Now maybe If I needed to run SLI I would be severly gimped but since I only run 1 cardI can live with it..

AMD will definitely increase the PCIe lanes and intel will have to change accordingly or will lose tons of sales..

·
PC Enthusiast
1,075 Posts
There are 16 lanes directly connected to the cpu, and the rest go through the chipset, which has a seperate connection to the cpu roughly equal to 4 lanes in speed. All the USB, SATA, nVME, networking etc goes through the chipset and it's link to get to the cpu. SLI can work fine, the 16x link to the cpu will be split into two x8 links and connect to both gpu's that way.

Here's the diagram used by ExtremeTech:

The DMI 3.0 Link to the chipset is roughly equal to 4 lanes worth of bandwidth.

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
Sixteen CPU connected lanes has been the norm for the mainstream platform since the PCI-E controller was integrated into the CPU almost a decade ago.

There is little practical need for more and when there is such a need, that's what the HEDT platforms are for.

The DMI 3.0 Link to the chipset is roughly equal to 4 lanes worth of bandwidth.
Intel's DMI is a PCI-E 4x link of the appropriate generation in almost every way.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Unless your sound card is in a PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot, it shouldn't affect the bandwidth available to your video card. And if it is, the decreased bandwidth should have a negligible impact on performance. No video card on the market saturates sixteen lanes. With eight lanes, you're probably getting 99% performance. Negligible difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts