Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chip
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sspec=sl62z

The Board
Click Here

The Goal:
use spare parts to see what use i can get out of these products, at a low cost, and likely fold with it...

The Questions (your opinion):
Anyone had this chip?
What you get out of it?
What Heatsink should i get?
Should I just Mod the Original Heatsink?
What ram should i get?

Lemme know what you think

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Get the fastest ram you can... And get a nice aftermarket cooler, if that chip is anything like my old Prescott, youll need it!

I had an old 3.0 pressy and couldnt get it over 3.8ghz for the life of me.... loaded at 66c which was cooking!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, i thought those chips were 4g members? did you get a bad chip? how did you do it?can you tell the people you kno, who have any knowledge in this to chime in too? thanks!

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
Thats a very old P4 its not even a 533mhz fsb its only a 400mhz and its a 180 nm. I couldnt see you getting anymore than 2.8Ghz if you are lucky (very lucky). If it was a 90 nm prescott core (2 die shrinks later) it would be a different story and yes you will need a big heatsink on it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i just modded the heat sink (using parts around the house
and swapped out the fan for a 80mm high cfm ( not a clue what it is, but huge output) and replaced the McGarbage that was on there. oh, ps, burnt myself (first time soldering, hurts soooooo bad, whine, cry) nah j/k stings a bit, but ill survive. now to "make" some, clips to hold the heatsink to the mobo. NOTE.... i have to use parts found in my house or under 20 bucks (thats the challenge) i could just buy an I7 or an expensive system or use another cooling method, thats not as fun (i want the challenge/ struggle to get this to work) i want to show that ANYBODY CAN FOLD and maximize an old cpu to do so. (even if OCing is not neccissary). i changed my goal part way through lol , pic tomorrow!!!! yay ..

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Hey Hero,
I hate to say this, but that P4 being a Willamette will not go very far. Add to that the mobo doesn't have PCI/AGP lock, so the question is what will limit you first: the CPU or the mobo. I think you will get a 10%OC because the PCI bus work at most at 37MHz (33.3+10%) - if you want to go higher you may have to turn off any IGP or integrated peripherals like sound, and you still will have a hard time passing 13%.
It's cool you try to revive that old rig. I'm also in the process of reviving an even older P3 1GHz, but I'm not sure what to do with it afterwards. Maybe put some Linux disro and sell it for 20$

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
That is an early P4 and they are horrible CPUs. Intel was anti-overclock at the time and most socket 478 chipsets were equally horrible.

I don't think there were any good P4 overclockers until the Prescotts when intel had to do something as AMDs were handing intel their ass and overclocking freely.

Whatever clocks you may get it will still be bad.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i happen to have a amd athlon about same age, but its sitting prissy on an HP BOARD! fnadsaofndcdssffae hp boards... would that be better?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts