Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and welcome to another topic for discussion.
As you all know i had Q6600 G0 and some weeks later i bought a new Q9450 C1 SLAWY.
During my Q6600 using i experimented with clocks , temps , voltages trying to find max working temps , voltages and so one.
I was doing it just for myself , to be aware how can i damage my CPU, just for it's secure.
Anyway, let's get to the point.
In this article The Truth about Temperatures and Voltages created by ChickenInferno
Has a lot of information about temperatures and voltages.

For example

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenInferno

When will you begin to thermally throttle? **Warning Technical**
You will not begin to throttle because of temps until you are approximately 20C above Thermal Specification[/COLOR

. For example, the Thermal Specification (Tcase) of the Q6600 G0 is 71C. At approximately 91C, it will begin to thermally throttle. This then makes sense why the TJ Max target is 90C; Intel is trying to make the sensor the most sensitive when it is at the point of damaging the CPU. TJ Max Target is not the point of damage, but it is close to the THERMTRIP# point (the point when the CPU automatically throttles and shuts down until proper temperatures are restored). Since as discussed earlier thermal specification (Tcase) is actually the temperature of the center of the IHS and it's temperatures are ussually 10C below core temps, there is actually a 10C buffer between Distance to TJ Max=0 and Permanent Silicone Damage. What Intel has done is said that they are not allowing for any difference between the temperature of the cores and the temperature of the IHS and thus we are aligning Tcase (without buffer) with TJ Max. Remember however that depending upon the solder the difference between Tcase and Core temps is ussually 10C, Intel is simply being safe and not allowing for any difference even if it exists.

And i also agree . I had Q6600 with Tj Max= 90c i had G0 with 71c critical temperature in intel specification list. and it's logically right
71c + 20c for cpu to start throttle =90-91c and it's equal with Tj Max. So you can take 20c from your Tj max and you will see what you critical temp is. Maybe not critical , let's call it Tcase , as it said in Intel Specification.

And i looked for my Q9450 Specs Click Here

As you can see my Tcase is 71.4c so it's about 71-72c.
So 72c + 20c = 92c Tjmax..... you all agree ))) this is just like with Q6600 , Right ?

But wait a minutte, in this picture Q9450

Intel Q9xxx and Q8xxx have 100C Tj Max
How can it be so ? Whom should i believe ? my mathematical calculations according to Q6600 case or to Tj max by Intel ?
You say- only Intel.
So i decided to find it out. What did i do ? I put my CPU from 4.0ghz to 3.5ghz. , Put OCCT for 100% load , when i got some stable high temps i DROPED THE SPEED OF MY CPU FAN from 100% to 0%, so it stopped, and was waiting for the temperature at which my CPU begin to throtle.
And there are some pictures with results

As you can see on the first picture i have 93-95c( 89-89) and we have no throttle according to Right Mark CPU clock.
On second picture we have 99-96c (92-93) and we can see some CPU Frequency drop according to Right Mark CPU clock
And on the final Picture i turned RPM on my CPU cooler to the Max.
And temp lowerd fast and also Right Mark CPU clock displayed stability in CPU clocks )))

As you can see i made my decision according to the hottest core in my CPU the Core#0 is the hottest, as it must be in multi core CPU.
So, Conclusions

If we think that we can measure temperature for throttling according to the Hottest Core( core#0) so we see a THROTTLING at 99C, that is close to 100C as it was said for this CPU
But , If we think that we should measure temperature according to the coolest cores that could only reached 89-90c ( Core#1, Core#3= 89C max on 1st picture) so we proved Intel CPU Q9450 has Tj Max not 100C , it has 90 Tj Max.

So ? I got some experience in such things, and i share it with you.
Questions, propositions, comments are welcomed )) ^^

UPDATED

OK. hello again.
I completed my tests with Intel Q9450 and it's throttling mode.
As you remember i found that Tj Max for Intel Q9450 is 100c, as it Intel specified.
I tried to make like in example. If CPU with T-case ( 72c) +20c above begin to throttle - so it is it Tj Max value. So Let's look on my screenshot.
On 4-th screen you see with 100% load i could reach 98 ,95, 93 ,92c with all cores- so they all reached 90-92c, so Intel Core2quad 9450 c1 SLAWY has 90c Tj Max, and INTEL HAS BEEN BUSTED ))))
And to prove my point i would like to say that i monitored temperatures in all cores constantly and even when 1st core hited 90-92c , so it was actually 94-95 and at that moment the other 3 cores were under 90C and WAS NO THROTTLING

So. i will set my Tj Max to 90 value )
Good luck to everyone

COMPLETED

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
great post, sure to clear some stuff up for newies to overclocking. throttling is a huge cause of performance loss too, and ive seen many people who have asked why their i7 4.5ghz overclock is getting low scores when its getting 90*C. sure to help out, ima save this thread to use for that reason for sure. Rep+

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx.
I will not stop my testing theory. I understand that core temperature difference is high.
I will replace new thermal paste and tru to reach minimum core temp. difference and to prove theory about Q9450 Tjmax 100 or 90 degrees.

Cu later ))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.