Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I have a relatively simple question. I recently sold a pair of Intel QA92 ES chips on ebay. The buyer is claiming that they are incompatible with his motherboard and thought he was buying OEM chips. The listing clearly described these as ES chips and that they are NOT OEM and that compatibility should be figured out before bidding. He's claiming that because I put Intel 2687W ES into my description that I incorrectly described the chips. I see the QA92 chips described on web forums as being 2687W ES chips but that stepping is not listed on CPU world for the 2687W:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E5-2687W.html

So how can I get some sort of official "proof" that these are in fact 2687 W ES chips??? I can't seem to find any info on this! And the CPU world description doesn't list the QA92 stepping on their list of ES chips.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the right thing here, and if in fact these are NOT 2687 W ES chips, then I will return them and resell with more accurate descriptive info. But if I can find a way to verify them, it will save me some time and effort!!

Thanks all!!

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
The chips are pre-ES and are not really labeled as retail SKUs (as they have no real equivalent). This is before Intel actually decided on which SKUs to launch on the market (which clocks, core package and power target etc.). Seeing as it has 8 cores, a base clock of 3.0GHz and all core turbo of 3.1GHz with a TDP of 150W the closest equivalent would be an E5-2687W. This is why people call them E5-2687W ES. Strictly speaking it is not, however. It does not have full Turbo Boost, and bugs that are fixed in later steppings. I think most hardware monitors label it as either SNB-EP/EX ES2 or E5-26xx ES2 @3GHz.

I do not know QAR6, but QB7R is a proper E5-2687W ES since it is labeled as one and is pretty much the same as the retail model (same turbo bins, bugs etc.).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts