Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I keep reading around about Intel Quad-Core Release date being somewhere around November 2006. Does anyone here know if this is true?<br />
<br />
I already had seen on Gigabyte site that they are going or if not already supporting their Motherboards with Intel Quad-Core CPUs. I wonder if the new NVIDIA chipset 600 & 680i SLi would support it then and what company will release these motherboards? <br />
<br />
I don't want to get my hopes up but it sound like new motherboards and Intel chip coming out in November I will for sure save my cash to buy a combo and start building a new system.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how Quad Core CPUs are going to be of much use until games and other software are reprogrammed to use them. I would spend my money first on DX10 and Vista before Kentsfield.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>stargate125645</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Yeah, I don't see how Quad Core CPUs are going to be of much use until games and other software are reprogrammed to use them. I would spend my money first on DX10 and Vista before Kentsfield.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>That statement is partially incorrect.<br />
<br />
Doesn't having 4 instances of [email protected] ultilize all of the cores?<br />
<br />
You can mix and match which ever programs to have it running at 100%, that will use up all 4 Cores.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Also, a multithreaded program will use 2cores or 4 cores or 673 cores... it uses what you've got so once everything goes multithreaded it will be good to go! there are a couple out now that will do that!<br />
Here's hoping Quad Core lowers Conroe Prices!!

·
Banned
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<tr>

That statement is partially incorrect.<br />
<br />
Doesn't having 4 instances of [email protected] ultilize all of the cores?<br />
<br />
You can mix and match which ever programs to have it running at 100%, that will use up all 4 Cores.

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Thats what I figure that sharing the info between Cores would make every program run at least 100% with out to much load. Then again I could be wrong. <br />
<br />
Do anyone here know what price this CPUs will be going for?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>TheLatinHeat</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Thats what I figure that sharing the info between Cores would make every program run at least 100% with out to much load. Then again I could be wrong. <br />
<br />
Do anyone here know what price this CPUs will be going for?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>$1,000

·
Banned
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch! thanks, I might have to wait for that so maybe by it being out in November the Duo 2 Core would drop down on price?

·
Retired
2,423 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>TheLatinHeat</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Do anyone here know what price this CPUs will be going for?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>The QX6700 will be sold to retailers for 999 dollars (orders over 1000 units). I would imagine you will see most etailers selling the QX6700 somewhere around 1300 when it first comes out.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>ThaLoveDocta</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Also, a multithreaded program will use 2cores or 4 cores or 673 cores...</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>only if it has 2 or 4 or 673 threads running, which (except for 2) is extremely unlikely. The only thing that multi-core cpu's are good for are<br />
A) extreme multitasking<br />
B) once we have combined C/G/PPU's various cores can do various jobs

·
Registered
883 Posts
The q6600 will be coming in January at around $850 with a locked 9x multiplier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts