Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just opinions I would want to hear.

What would be better to get and why? Performance?

Intel Quad Core or AMD Phenom II X4 ?

What if it was like a Intel Quad Core vs AMD Phenom II X4 940 or 955 vs Core 2 quad 9550 which is a comparable price to the phenom II 955. Thanks.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
clock for clock yorkfields are 3% faster than denebs but it was with ddr2. it would be the other way around if it was tested with ddr3. and denebs are faster in most games though.

also, it's the mobo's price that makes a difference. like you can get an overclocking 790fx with 16x/16x multi gpu scaling with an amd rig for as low as $130 while the intel equivalent, the X48s, can be found at above $200 and they don't even overclock well. while in the budget enthusiast section, you can get a quality one like a ud4p or an a7da-s for $110 while a ud3p or p5q-e costs about $135-$140

so far the only better buy than any phenom 2s is the i7 920.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I guess I waisted money on the Intel core 2 quad q9550? So denebs only run on DDR3? Cuz I bought it last month. Thanks.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
nope. am3 denebs like 955be can run both ddr2 and ddr3. while am2+ denebs like the 920 and 940be only run ddr2.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
yeah, what gerikoh said. I was using a q9450 and will be going AMD, but based off benchies, the 955BE using DDR3, is kinda comparable to a q9650, in some cases even better, not as good as an I7, but for paying half the cost, for 3/4 the performance is worth it any day to me

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope I would be fine with my q9550 for a couple of years, I'm just an Intel fan, and wondering about AMD. Anyways. Just for my knowledge. thanks.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gera229
View Post

so what can I do, just stick with my q9550?

Just stick with what you have. There is nothing wrong with it. The Phenom II would NOT be an upgrade. The performance is pretty much identical. AMD is just a tad cheaper right now. The only real "upgrade path" for you would be i7, and that is considerably more expensive.

You're fine with what you have.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
unless you can return it and get some of your money back when you bought a deneb platform. but even i wouldn't even bother the hassle since they perform about the same.

you just missed saving some bucks. but that's just about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts