Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The ability of game code to adapt to different underlying CPU hardware is becoming increasingly important as hardware evolves to encompass a wider range of clock speeds and core counts.
Quote:
Today both eighth-generation consoles have eight individual, relatively low-performance, high-efficiency x86 CPU cores with the game code using between six and seven of those cores (the remainder being reserved for the OS). This compares with modern consumer PCs that have anywhere between two and eight CPUs.
Quote:
The challenge was to improve the game's realism in ways that benefit users without affecting gameplay due to online multi-player requirements and without adding significantly more GPU-side work. As such, AI changes and improved physics accuracy were ruled out, as any improvements had to be achieveble on all PC HW that would be used to play the game to ensure multiplayer experience wouldn't be compromised.
Quote:
Improving the audio was seen as a scalable way to enhance the user experience without affecting gameplay. The audio in F1 2015 is handled by a middleware package that creates its own thread for mixing audio on the CPU. Codemasters previously found that if this thread was stalled or delayed, it would get audible dropouts.
Quote:
Another improvement was an upgraded particle system. The particle system had been limited by the available CPU/GPU resources on the consoles, and art work had been authored within these constraints.
SOURCE

New version of the game engine benefits from hyperthreading and performs really well even on low core count and frequency.

·
Alt+Right
1,208 Posts
F1 2015 Goes to the Next Level of Realism on the PC ..."As such, AI changes and improved physics accuracy were ruled out"

lmao

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Um. Okay but F1 2015 is an old game and it seems they just upped particle count and sound fidelity.

·
AMD fan
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by di inferi View Post

F1 2015 Goes to the Next Level of Realism on the PC ..."As such, AI changes and improved physics accuracy were ruled out"

lmao
IKR.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Oh, I thought the dev fixed the huge audience problems and boredom F1 has become
tongue.gif

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
f1-2015 and realism should NOT be used in the same sentence....

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
F1 has been dying for the past 7 years, but they still didn't notice. Someone tell them that the glory days of that sport are over.

Too much politics, too much greed with the disappearance of free over the air broadcasts in many countries in favour of paid cable TV deals, and the cars are super ugly - both the front wing and the rear, tall, narrow wing; I know, it's to help improve competition, but it makes the cars very unpleasant to look at, they should have found out another way. I agree that the winglets in 2008 were getting into ridiculous levels, but the drastic change in 2009 hurt looks way too much.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

F1 has been dying for the past 7 years, but they still didn't notice. Someone tell them that the glory days of that sport are over.

Too much politics, too much greed with the disappearance of free over the air broadcasts in many countries in favour of paid cable TV deals, and the cars are super ugly - both the front wing and the rear, tall, narrow wing; I know, it's to help improve competition, but it makes the cars very unpleasant to look at, they should have found out another way. I agree that the winglets in 2008 were getting into ridiculous levels, but the drastic change in 2009 hurt looks way too much.
I honestly thing that F1 is better than ever. They dont sound nearly as great as they used to but i think that the cars are amazing and are faster than ever. there has been more overtaking over the last couple of seasons than ever before. I think that f1 is doing quite well. not sure i could say the same thing about the game...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Another improvement was an upgraded particle system. The particle system had been limited by the available CPU/GPU resources on the consoles, and art work had been authored within these constraints. The particle system was already CPU-based as Codemasters' graphics programmer, Andrew Wright explains:

"We anticipated (correctly) that we would be tighter on GPU time than on CPU time, so the particles system was always designed as an efficient heavily vectorized CPU system."

More AVX optimizations in future games?

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post

I honestly thing that F1 is better than ever. They dont sound nearly as great as they used to but i think that the cars are amazing and are faster than ever. there has been more overtaking over the last couple of seasons than ever before. I think that f1 is doing quite well. not sure i could say the same thing about the game...
Many fans don't think so:

http://www.worldfinance.com/markets/formula-one-must-rethink-marketing-as-its-audience-figures-drop
Quote:
Many might not be aware of the gradual decline of Formula One. That's because more and more people are apparently losing interest in the sport altogether. Back in 2008, the world was much more captivated with the spectacle. Just seven years ago, Formula One boasted more than 600 million viewers worldwide. Since then, the number of people choosing to tune in has waned. So much so that when CEO of Formula One Management, Bernie Ecclestone, published the organisation's annual global media report, it showed that viewer numbers had fallen by 5.6 percent from the previous season to 425 million.
Quote:
Sadly, 2015 has not shown the same promise and fans have complained that the sport has become boring.

In a recent Grand Prix Drivers Association (GPDA) survey, 77 percent of the 217,756 fans that answered it admitted that they were concerned that business interests were taking priority over the sport itself. And a whopping 89 percent felt more needs to be done to ensure that Formula One is more competitive on the track.

"The fans are clear: they don't want a radical overhaul of grand prix racing that takes it away from its historic roots", said the GPDA Chairman, Alex Wurz in a statement. "It may sound simple, but the best drivers and teams fighting on track in the most exciting cars is their priority. And we, the drivers, passionately share that view. They want competitive sport, not just a show, and they think that Formula One business has become too important, jeopardising our sport."

For years now, Formula One has suffered from races being a foregone conclusion. Over a 305km race, the only way to keep fans on the edge of their seat and glued to their television screens, is to keep the possibility alive that anyone on the track could win. People want to see drivers jostling for position; they want to see real racing. But thanks to the introduction of the drag reduction system (DRS), which is nothing more than a gimmick that, while increasing the number of overtaking manoeuvres, does so in a wholly artificial manner, the sport lacks real grit. Meaning that wheel-to-wheel battles like the one between Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna in the 1991 Spanish Grand Prix are yet to be replaced by anything quite as compelling in the modern era.
More than 175 million less viewers in 7 years hurts the popularity of the sport immensely. The remaining viewers are complaining that it's boring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts