Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a Intel 520 series 120GB SSD in to my rig that was recently an OS drive on my little brothers comp.I used disk management in Win 7 to quick format it to delete everything.

In the my computer tab it shows it at 111GB of 120GB which is normal due to factory allocated space.

My problem lies with in the intel SSD Toolbox -

As you can see below it shows it as drive D: when it should be drive F:,and it also shows it reflecting what ever the D: consist of instead of the actually 111GB the 520 120GB has to offer.

My only assumption is the Toolbox is not reading it right or something went wrong when i quick formatted the SSD.

Also after i used quick format on the SSD a system reserved drive D: section popped up which can be seen below as well.

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any clue any 1 ?

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes both are up to date and it even tells me i cant use the Intel SSD optimizer on the 120GB because there isn't enough space.

LOL i formatted it so there is 111GB available so something is def off here and i am at a loss of what it might be.

In the SSD toolbox it shows the 120GB having only 100MB of space so its def not reading the SSD right.

Something had to happen when i formatted the SSD because if you look at the 2cd pick it shows the system reserve at 99.9MB and i think that's what the toolbox is reading.

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my research a full format is not recommended for an SSD but i will investigate some more and see what i can find.

Thanks for your input sir.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
The small system reserved partition is created by the Windows installer, so that is left over from when it was in the other machine. If you don't need anything on the drive, just use the Toolbox to do a Secure Erase on the drive, that'll wipe it clean and restore it to factory new condition.

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried to secure erase it and it says the following -

The selected drive has a partition. The partition must be removed in order to execute this feature.

Does that mean i need to delete system reserve first ?

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
That's weird. Yeah, just go into disk management and delete the two partitions that are on the drive. At that point you could either do the secure erase or just make a new single partition and format it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cmd>diskpart>list disk> select disk "ssd">clean>create partition primary>format fs=ntfs *you can add the modifier of "quick" with a space after ntfs if you wish to not do a full format.

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have messed up guys -

I deleted the reserve partition and then deleted the main volume on the SSD and now i have this.

I have no option to format it now.

·
2 Easy
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think i am good to go now i quick formatted it with a simple volume and all seems well now.

Should i still do a secure erase ?

NVM everything seems perfect now so i should be good 2 go and thanks for the help every 1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts