Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I dropped my savings account into recently for some major upgrades.

3x Western Digital VelociRaptor 160GB 10000RPM Enterprise Version
2x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD
1x Intel X25-M 80GB SSD

I've decided to use 2x40GB SSDs in RAID0 as my OS drive, and 3xVRs in RAID0 for the main storage.

Before I installed anything, I benched marked these drives fresh out of the box; No formatting done, no partitions made.
*All benching is done with the Asus Commando motherboard with the ICH8R [email protected]
*All RAID-0 volumes are set with 128KB strip size.
*HD Tune Pro 3.50 Benchmarked with 2MB Block size, with medium high accuracy.
*This set of benchmarks are the Intel SSDs with the stock firmware
Single Intel X25-V 40GB SSD

Single Intel X25-V 40GB SSD Random Access

Single Intel X25-M 80GB SSD

Single Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Random Access

*This set of benchmarks are the Intel SSDs with new updated firmware (Feb 21)
Single Intel X25-V 40GB SSD

Single Intel X25-V 40GB SSD Random Access
[

Single Intel X25-M 80GB SSD

Single Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Random Access

*All RAID-0 Benchmarks on the SSDs are post firmware update.
2x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD RAID-0

2x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD RAID-0 Random Access

2x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD + 1x Intel X25-M 80GB SSD RAID-0

2x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD + 1x Intel X25-M 80GB SSD RAID-0 Random Acess

3x Western Digital VelociRaptor 160GB RAID-0

3x Western Digital VelociRaptor 160GB RAID-0 Access Time

2x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD RAID-0 running Windows 7

In conclusion:
2x Intel x25-V 40GB SSD in RAID-0 owns 3x WD VR 160GB 10kRPM RAID-0

Other thoughts:
The 40GB SSDs performed astonishingly well. The sustained read was much higher than the advertised speed of 170MB/s. In fact, its read speed is almost exactly the same as the 80GB version.

For those who are thinking of getting an SSD, I say DO IT. Once you use an SSD on your computer, you will fall in love with it. I went from 4x80GB RAID-0 to 2x40GB SSD RAID-0, and the difference like like going from a P4 to an i7. Yes you read it right. P4 to an i7.

PS. This is what it takes to top off the Windows 7 HDD Experiance Index

To see these drives migrate into my case, check out my build thread!

Please comment, and if you have similar builds, share your benchies!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
those ssd raid speeds are amazing sucks there is no TRIM when RAID them

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
So you are comfortable with your data sitting on a 3 disc RAID 0 array? You know if you have a physical disc failure all your data goes goodbye, right?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was about to have a mini hissy fit about my X25 being 10% slower out of the box until I saw the block size. I'm impressed by those 40GB intel drives.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Show4Pro View Post
TRIM support is enabled for me on my SSD RAID with Win7, not sure where you got that info from.
The command might be enabled but it cannot be passed through the controller.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleTech View Post
The command might be enabled but it cannot be passed through the controller.
Correct.... it may never be passed through since managing blocks on SSDs get complex.

EDIT: See my For Sale if you want a deal on a X25-V!

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Nice!

What does the write speed look like for the SSD array?

Is write-back cache enabled for the VR's? That hd tune for the VR's looks like my 3 caviar blacks except a couple ms better access time. Shouldn't the VR's get around 350MB/s average?

18,000IOPS @[email protected]

I have 80. Yes, just 80.

Try the short stroke feature in HD Tune Pro 4.01. If I short stroke to 129gb, it'll go up to 128IOPS

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
Nice!

What does the write speed look like for the SSD array?

Is write-back cache enabled for the VR's? That hd tune for the VR's looks like my 3 caviar blacks except a couple ms better access time. Shouldn't the VR's get around 350MB/s average?

18,000IOPS @[email protected]

I have 208. Yes, just 208.
Actually, I think 'similar to blacks, but with better access times", is a pretty accurate description/expectation.

·
Registered
619 Posts
alot of ssd now have a garbage collection feature that is really lowering the need for trim. trim may not be around for long. ocz for instance you can use garbage collection in raid array and it runs autonomous of os and keeps drives running great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question...

Without the use of TRIM, how are the X25-M's performing in RAID; any noticible performance degradation, yet? I've got two I'll be receiving next week but am reluctant to intall them in a RAID 0 configuration for the OS due to the lack of TRIM. It might only amount to a negligible performane increase in the end, relative to a single SSD (non RAID).

???

Thanks!

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksoul844;12861658
maybe in write/read they will but access time they will not beat SSD
smile.gif
im a complete noob about hdd's. what does access time do and is the difference between the two that far apart? I could've gotten an SSD but opted for two velociraptors instead. did I make a terirble decision?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido;12861677
im a complete noob about hdd's. what does access time do and is the difference between the two that far apart? I could've gotten an SSD but opted for two velociraptors instead. did I make a terirble decision?
Depends. do you need space?

i would say yes you did but depends still on what you need it for.

but so fair i'm only running on a single SSD and W7 score gives me 7.7 in the rates so i'm happy
smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts