Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHIPMAKER Intel has cut a deal with Hollywood in its Sandy Bridge chips to put digital restrictions management (DRM) in them.

Intel's sellout to the big media companies makes it 'safer' for Hollywood studios to offer premium movies to consumers on locked-down personal computers. No doubt the media content cartels and Intel are dreaming monopolistic visions of extracting big rents to stream everything online.

According to Reuters, Time Warner's digital distribution unit and other studios plan to offer high-definition movies to consumers who have PCs with Intel Sandy Bridge chips inside, simultaneous with releasing them on DVD.

Apparently the media cartels are dead keen to get their content on PCs that are locked-down even to the level of the chip.

Mooly Eden, Intel's VP and general manager of the PC client group said that Intel's embedded DRM allows content to be streamed to computers with Sandy Bridge chips and that Chipzilla is making deals with all the studios and content distributors to make it available. (I found this on another forum ,but I find this a bit disturbing and sneaky.) I really don't see anything positive coming from this.It will just be another way for Hollywood to drain our wallets and fill our screens with mostly Garbage anyway.

185 Posts
This is the reason I'm not investing in this atrocity called Sandy Bridge. I don't care how insignificant the drm is right now. I'm just not going to be part of helping to set a precedence on future product and much harsher lacing of drm implementations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If no one cares or kicks up a fuss, it will leave a open door for large corporations to take kick backs to incorporate far worse DRM type technology in the future.

Whats next?, DRM in Discrete Graphics, some sort of smart anti P2P hardware in network cards (maybe restriction number of connections etc).

Do people prefer to wait for really effective restrictive technology before they voice there opposition?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter;11964975
If no one cares or kicks up a fuss, it will leave a open door for large corporations to take kick backs to incorporate far worse DRM type technology in the future.

Whats next?, DRM in Discrete Graphics, some sort of smart anti P2P hardware in network cards (maybe restriction number of connections etc).

Do people prefer to wait for really effective restrictive technology before they voice there opposition?
I'm more worried about FCC buckling under major ISPs and allowing restrictive internet.

But old plagiarized news is old and plagiarized.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkypoo7
View Post

Ever taken an English course? Or read the OCN stickies? Don't plagiarize.

Source link

Now lets watch this thread spiral out of control.

No Monkypoo7 , I never took an English course ,and I did not mean to plagiarize.I just wanted to get some feedback on this forum about this .It just strikes me as a possible negative for SB .I also try never to be rude ,or a cyber-snob here ,as this forum has always been one of the more friendly places I have frequented .Sorry to offend you .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts