Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for an SSD for Windows and some crucial applications (No games). After sorting out what applications will be installed on the SSD and what will be installed on my HDD's, I'm fairly confident that 80GB will be more than enough.

So I'm trying to decide on what SSD to get as far as price vs performance is concerned.

1. Intel X25-M 80GB Gen2
2. Corsair Force 80GB

From looking at the specifications of each it's obvious that the Corsair drive has faster read and write speeds due to it using a newer Sandforce controller, and that the Intel model is an older SSD overall.

In terms of price, the X25-M can be had for around £160, while the Corsair Force is around £175 - £185.

So what do you recommend? Save myself a little bit of cash and pickup the X25-M or go for the better speeds and get the Corsair Force?

Do you think the speed difference between the two will be noticeable?

Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
Haven't had any trouble with my Intel SSD, so you can't go wrong there
Things load as fast as i would like them to. So dont know if the Corsairs extra speed is really noticeable...but if you wanna spend the extra dosh then do so

• Rep+
Reactions: Mitchell7

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
I think the difference would only be noticeable in synthetic benchmarks rather than every day usage.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
If you pass from HDD to SSD the difference will be so big with either that you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference between those two.

I like the Intel X25 80GB I bought nearly a year ago (was it so long ago ?!) and I never managed to saturate its slowish writing speed... but I never copy huge files on the SSD - and I don't see why would anyone do that.
All that matters is random read/write, and both Intel and Sandforce drive reign over the other controllers, you'll be happy with either of them.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
How much space does the windows install stall take? I was also thinking about getting the Intel X25-M, but I want to run Starcraft and a few other application on the SSD.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you follow the Optimization Thread below, you can squeeze Win7 Ult 64 bit into 8.5Gb. The trick is to always do a fresh install. With respect to the two drives, the poster is absolutely right who stated that you wont be able to tell a difference between the two SSDs visibly because the speed of the ssd when stepping up from a hd comes in access speeds times. In a hard drive, it is typically 9-10ms whereas in a ssd it is a minute .1ms.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Intel has higher rating so I guess theirs are better. Corsair's Performance Series is good too.

• Rep+

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I think I'm going to go for the Intel X25-M.

Just wanted to double check a couple of things before I order:

1. Are there two models of this SSD? I see some have up to 170MB/s max writes while others state up to 70MB/s...?
2. Would SSDSA2MH080G2R5 be the part number of the Gen2 Retail version? (latest model)

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubernoobie View Post
I'm pretty sure the intel will be better in random writes than the sandforce
Not really, the Sandforce is pretty much faster in every way.
with FULLY random non-compressible data, the Intel will be a bit faster in reads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz View Post
How much space does the windows install stall take? I was also thinking about getting the Intel X25-M, but I want to run Starcraft and a few other application on the SSD.
Windows around 10GB
Page file: 5 or 6 GB (I reduced mine to 1000MB)
Hibernation file: 3 or 4 GB (disable it if you don't use it)
System restore: a couple more GB (I turn it off)
etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Overclocker/Gamer View Post
Intel has higher rating so I guess theirs are better. Corsair's Performance Series is good too.
Sandforce a little faster, Intel a little "better established" The Corsair Performance series are a bit of a misnomer, since they use the slow Samsung RBB controller.. which I would call "Horrible" but only because decent controller SSDs are very cheap now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell7 View Post
Alright, I think I'm going to go for the Intel X25-M.

Just wanted to double check a couple of things before I order:

1. Are there two models of this SSD? I see some have up to 170MB/s max writes while others state up to 70MB/s...?
2. Would SSDSA2MH080G2R5 be the part number of the Gen2 Retail version? (latest model)

Thanks again.

All X25-M series drives have these specs (from intel PDF):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intel PDF
Read and Write IOPS Specifications
(Iometer* Queue Depth 32)
- Random 4 KB Reads: Up to 35 K IOPS
- Random 4 KB Writes:
80GB - Up to 6.6 K IOPS
160GB - Up to 8.6 K IOPS
Bandwidth Performance Specifications
- Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 250 MB/s
- Sustained Sequential Write:
80GB - Up to 70 MB/s
160GB - Up to 100 MB/s
They have writes limited to around 80MB/s... their random numbers are still excellent however.
I think the 170MB/s number used to be the sequential read speed...
The Random 4k numbers or by extension IOPS, are the more important numbers in my books for System drives.

The different models are simply different batches and packages, the "retail" packages come in a pretty box with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter, the OEM ones come in a plain brown box with no extras...
As long as there is a G2 in the model number, you're good, since that means you get the 34nm NAND, and TRIM firmware support.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just installed the Intel x25-M 80g, and its a night and day difference from my 300gig WD drive. Dont think you can go wrong with Intel products.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM231
View Post

I just installed the Intel x25-M 80g, and its a night and day difference from my 300gig WD drive. Dont think you can go wrong with Intel products.

cough Celeron cough

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSSDReview;10659032
If you follow the Optimization Thread below, you can squeeze Win7 Ult 64 bit into 8.5Gb.
can someone point me on that thread ? cant find

1 - 15 of 15 Posts