Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, before you bust my balls about this subject having been gone over and over again, know that I have done my research and still have a couple questions.
tongue.gif

I couldn't specifically find any benchmarks of this specific processor in games, I did find a number of threads/articles/videos stating that Xeon chips in general do " JUST FINE " in gaming. The games I focus on is pretty much the most popular AAA titles, GTA 5, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.

Being that I couldn't find specific benchmarks with this chip in games, I am going to ask, How would the 12 core 24 thread " Intel Xeon E5 2658 V3 " do in gaming? I game at 3440x1440p with SLI 980s, for now. Eyeballing the new Nvidia 10 series, chewing on getting SLI 1070s or 1080s... or just waiting for a 1080ti or new Titan, but that is a different topic for a different thread.

In my research, along with the general consensus being that a Xeon chip can " Game just fine ", I also read that fewer faster cores is better than more slower cores for games. However I am also a content creator and having more cores/threads would benefit me when using programs like Adobe Premiere.

Basically I just want to know if having a processor that is not overclockable and only turbo boosts to 2.9ghz hinder any kind of gaming or bottleneck SLI 1080s?

Also, Will the Asus X99-A motherboard support this Xeon 2658 V3 cpu?

The whole reason why I am even considering this is because I found this Xeon 2658 12core processor on ebay for $165 with free shipping...

Thanks guys!

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Disable HT and clock your CPU down to 2.2 2.4 GHz (to account for IPC increase). Play some games.
12-thread parallelism (let alone 24) will be utilised in probably possibly 4 games out of every game on the market. You will have to balance it out for yourself, see if you can cope with such in-game framerates but vastly benefit in your productive activities.

Edit: This motherboard should support the processor. It supports higher TDP parts, including the 16-core E5-2698v3, so I would put my money on yes, it supports it.
smile.gif

OT: Pretty good price, even for an ES, I suppose. What's wrong with it?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

Disable HT and clock your CPU down to 2.2 2.4 GHz (to account for IPC increase). Play some games.You will have to balance it out for yourself, see if you can cope with such in-game framerates but vastly benefit in your productive activities.
So youre saying frame rates will suffer with this chip? Do you think it would introduce a CPU bottle neck to two high end graphics cards in games?

I did find this video showing a guy who used a xeon e5 2670 and a R9 390 and seemed to get great gaming results. The 2670 turbo clock is similar at 3.1ghz.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

Disable HT and clock your CPU down to 2.2 2.4 GHz (to account for IPC increase). Play some games.You will have to balance it out for yourself, see if you can cope with such in-game framerates but vastly benefit in your productive activities.
So youre saying frame rates will suffer with this chip? Do you think it would introduce a CPU bottle neck to two high end graphics cards in games?

I did find this video showing a guy who used a xeon e5 2670 and a R9 390 and seemed to get great gaming results. The 2670 turbo clock is similar at 3.1ghz.

This will mostly depend on the games you play. For some the difference will be massive, especially in MMORPGs and the likes.
Could you post some of the titles you play?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned the games I play in the second paragraph of my OP.
Quote:

The games I focus on is pretty much the most popular AAA titles, GTA 5, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Xeons that game just fine are the old ones (1366), they can oc at 4 GHz easy but the new ones cant. 2.9 GHz will be too small for games.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:

I mentioned the games I play in the second paragraph of my OP.
Quote:

The games I focus on is pretty much the most popular AAA titles, GTA 5, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.
Yes, sorry, I didn't save the first draft as I switched computers. My bad.

Reconstructing the post:
For some the difference will be massive, especially in MMORPGs and the likes. Out of the ones you posted, Battlefield and GTA V will struggle the most, I think; the others will barely take a performance hit, possibly after adjusting some of the CPU-intensive settings (basically forget about good shadows and some of the post-processing).

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hht92 View Post

The Xeons that game just fine are the old ones (1366), they can oc at 4 GHz easy but the new ones cant. 2.9 GHz will be too small for games.
but.... but... 12 cores... 24 threads
sad-smiley-002.gif

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hht92 View Post

but.... but... 12 cores... 24 threads
sad-smiley-002.gif
That's why you test it out and weight the pros and cons for yourself. If you find the framerates tolerable, then go for it.

OR... why not both?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have this cpu on its way to me ( E5-2658v3 ES ) I know its locked down pretty good, but 12c/24t @ 2.3GHz should be just right for a internet machine used for a file server and print server

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Chances are you won't find benchmarks for this kind of processor because very few people with a processor like this are not using it to game. If you're that concerned about gaming performance, you can make a cheap Skylake build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/N4g6BP

Put your SLI GTX 980's in that and you should be fine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The passmark single core score of this cpu is better than a stock 8350 passmark score, but only slightly. So if youre playing single thread bound games, a non overclocked 8350 would be a good cpu to compare this to. Ultimately its not about clock speeds, but IPC.

e5 2658 v3
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2658+v3+%40+2.20GHz

ALSO, if you were to get the correct motherboard, there is something called the haswell microcode hack, that forces the haswell e xeon processors to turbo clock full time, across all cores, i believe it was patched because of heat issues, so only attempt this if you have decent cooling. you will need certain motherboards to do this. And make sure to do your research.

fx 8350 passmark benchmark results
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780

it would also do you well to cross reference these scores with cinebench, for certainty. Im aware this is an old post, however i posted this answer for anyone who comes across it in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts