Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking of adding a 1 or 2 TB HDD on my sig rig.

My current HDD is 7200 rpm.

Is the Intellipoint faster?

I am thinking of installing games that are not on my SSD to the new HDD, and use the other HDD for videos, music, pictures etc...

Smart move?

Bad move?

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you mean the OCZ 128GB with Indilinx software than yes, it
will be faster than your HDD 7200...

Keep your games of the SSD,
With prices of SSD falling, the price you get a 128GB,
3weeks ago you can now get a 256GB for around 10.00 to 25.00
more and install quite a bit more...
Booting/Games/ access your programs..

I keep my Music/Picture/Video on separate drive HDD..

How much room do you have left on your 120GB SSD?
Keep about 10% to 15% free on your SSD, It will perform
better than filled up, I use that same analogy with all my HDD though..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

So I am thinking of adding a 1 or 2 TB HDD on my sig rig.

My current HDD is 7200 rpm.

Is the Intellipoint faster?

I am thinking of installing games that are not on my SSD to the new HDD, and use the other HDD for videos, music, pictures etc...

Smart move?

Bad move?
Intellipoint are slower and vary speeds around 5400 rpm. They are meant for low power consumption and low heat production. Installing games on a 7200 rpm is a good idea.....I would not buy an Intellipoint drive for games.

·
Premium Member
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperkite View Post

If you mean the OCZ 128GB with Indilinx software than yes, it
will be faster than your HDD 7200...

Keep your games of the SSD,
With prices of SSD falling, the price you get a 128GB,
3weeks ago you can now get a 256GB for around 10.00 to 25.00
more and install quite a bit more...
Booting/Games/ access your programs..

I keep my Music/Picture/Video on separate drive HDD..

How much room do you have left on your 120GB SSD?
Keep about 10% to 15% free on your SSD, It will perform
better than filled up, I use that same analogy with all my HDD though..
No I mean regular HDDs. It said intellipoint instead of RPM, so I wondered if it was a faster kind of a HDD.

I already have a 60 GB SSD for boot and 120 GB SSD for games.

However there are games that really do not require being on a SSD and I will install them on the HDD one by one.

However I want to keep my movies, pictures and music on a different HDD so I am in the market for a HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat View Post

Intellipoint are slower and vary speeds around 5400 rpm. They are meant for low power consumption and low heat production. Installing games on a 7200 rpm is a good idea.....I would not buy an Intellipoint drive for games.
Hmmm I thought they were a better tech.

What about 10000 RPM?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Green tech (Intellipoint) is for hippies. If you want performance, you go higher speed and quality. If I were buying a drive for the purposes you are looking for, I would get a WD Black. A Velociraptor drive, which I have a few of, are faster, but cost nearly 4x per GB and the difference will hardly be noticeable from a good 7200 rpm drive like the WD Black. A 2TB WD Black should last you a nice long time and with all the extra space, it will also remain nice and snappy since it will not slow down transfer rates as it nears the platter center.

In short, buy a 1-2 TB WD Black drive

·
Registered
425 Posts
10,000rpm are fast...I was going to use them instead of SSD and was told by Sean,
I would still get better speeds with the SSD.

As far a day to day use 10,000 is overkill for the price and size..
I have a couple of friends that use 10,000 for, I say 5 years and love them for Boot Drives but
they have not used an SSD drive though.

As far a secondary drive for everyday use a 7200 will do you just fine.
If you it used for storage than a 5400 will do you...
I will always use 7200 drives in my systems though...jmo
I have used 7200 drives since 2003. Even my 3 laptops all have 7200 HDD and Discrete Video GPU
it does increase performance in Laptops or as 5400 as the standard for laptops.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat View Post

Green tech (Intellipoint) is for hippies.
I think it's probably aimed at older adults that are old enough to remember what electricity used to cost (and thus want to be Green and environmentally friendly), and yet also remember how slow drives used to be. (less likely to be bugged by what still seems to be good performance by comparison)

An environmental hippy would know that a high performance drive saves power by reducing waste usage for the rest of the computer, which is likely consuming 95-98% of the power anyway. Shaving off 2 watts on the HDD shoots yourself in the foot by making some tasks take 30-50% longer. That means you save about 20% on the 3-5% usage and lose 30-50% on the 95-98% usage. What's that saying about counting pennies rather than dollars? I think it applies here.

I personally am a gamer. I buy the fastest stuff that I can afford.
biggrin.gif
(Unless I feel I don't need anything better; I haven't upgraded my videocard or CPU in a while... I never do anything that requires something faster.)

·
Premium Member
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not going to pick up the HDD any time soon. So perhaps if I can find a deal on a 480 GB SSD one day and grab it.

SSD prices are coming down each day.

Thanks and +rep guys/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.