Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a ATI Radeon 9800 XT and I was looking to get a nVidia Geforce 7800 GT OC. Would this be a worth while upgrade? Also would I have any complications going to this card?

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicked_m4

I currently have a ATI Radeon 9800 XT and I was looking to get a nVidia Geforce 7800 GT OC. Would this be a worth while upgrade? Also would I have any complications going to this card?

Yes
Yes

Fill out your rig specs, you have a AGP motherboard though the 7800GT is PCi-E. You will need to get a new motherboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So given that I have an AGP board (one AGP slot and four PCI), my best upgrade would be a 6800 GS? Also if I would go with the 6800 how great of a boost in performance would I see over my 9800 XT?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

So given that I have an AGP board (one AGP slot and four PCI), my best upgrade would be a 6800 GS? Also if I would go with the 6800 how great of a boost in performance would I see over my 9800 XT?

You would see a TON of preformance gain.. i would get the 6800GS, it's a great card.

·
Banned
606 Posts
The X850 XT PE is the best AGP card out, and will probably be the last AGP card ATI makes. Get it!.......pick me one up while you're at it ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

So would this.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130002 be a worth while upgrade of would it be better to spend the extra money and go with the X850 XT PE?

Performance would be very similar and the GS is a fair bit cheaper than the ATI card. Plus, with the GS, you might be able to unlock some Pipelines and Vertex Shaders for extra performance

·
Need moar megahertz
852 Posts
6800GS pcie version is really good for the bucks but agp version is alot different,425/1000 vs 350/1000 and not as much overclockable so i'd take the x850xt ;pure performance.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

or how about an ATI Radeon X850 XT ?

Great graphics card but costly, that is all.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

I would reccomend the X850xt as it can be flashed to XTPE unlocking further piplines and or vertex shaders.

No more pipelines or vertex shaders are unlocked flashing to the Platinum edition

1 - 13 of 13 Posts