Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an interesting case for my next build. What I want to avoid are cookie-cutter cases with uninteresting innards (like my HAF X, which features some intensely boring standard parts). I've been looking around and find that Silverstone has some pretty interesting designs like the FT03 and FT02B. Both are rather expensive, but I think I should be able to scrape together enough to accommodate it. Can you guys suggest some other interesting case designs? I think I mainly want to stick with small to mid sized cases (although full tower is okay if its interesting - at your digression). I may or may not do water cooling, depending on how much time I dedicate to researching it. However, it is likely that I won't be water cooling, but I like to keep my options open. I think I would like to keep it under $250. Hit me with it!

While I'm at it, can someone explain to me why Lian Li cases warrant the kind of prices I see them at? What kind of builds are they usually good for? The images on Newegg doesn't seem too impressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihartnell View Post

+1 on the FT03. Im going to build an HTPC using this case and llano or Trinty APU.
I'm going to wait until this year's goodies have been released to build a new rig. Might have to wait a while, I think, as Trinity comes out in Q3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't done any builds that are for a specific form factor, though I probably will be sticking to mostly ATX and mATX forms. I've never really considered ITX boards before. With regard to using multiple graphics cards, it is highly unlikely - read as 99.99% confident - because I'm not a big gamer (and whatever games I play are usually not graphics intense).

I'm mainly looking for cases that are a pleasure to work with so I want to try something different. I guess a requirement is that it must be rather quiet. My HAF X next to where I am sitting has a constant hum that I wish did not exist.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequences View Post

I haven't done any builds that are for a specific form factor, though I probably will be sticking to mostly ATX and mATX forms. I've never really considered ITX boards before. With regard to using multiple graphics cards, it is highly unlikely - read as 99.99% confident - because I'm not a big gamer (and whatever games I play are usually not graphics intense).
I'm mainly looking for cases that are a pleasure to work with so I want to try something different. I guess a requirement is that it must be rather quiet. My HAF X next to where I am sitting has a constant hum that I wish did not exist.
form factor matters in terms of noise and uniqueness of the build. you ARE looking for something different after all:) besides, consider an ITX build TODAY is capable of using 16 gigs or ram(2x8gig) 2600k, and a 7970 with a powersupply powerful enough to drive everything all inside a box this size
400
it's about as "different" as you'll get from your typical PC box:D further considering you claim that you aren't a big gamer, there is no reason why you'd even NEED a discrete GPU to begin with. an ITX Llano might be sufficient for your needs. it also depends on when you intend to build the new box, ivybridge and trinity are both on their way so there is even less reason to go full ATX for a casual gamer.

as for how loud the system, it all depends on what you put into the box. the SG07 has a 180mm filtered intake fan which is fairly quiet on low setting. it'll provide more then sufficient cooling for any system you can build in that box:D

if you are more interested in mATX, then i'd recommend you look into either a TJ08-E, or an arc mini. the arc mini is more liquid friendly while the TJ08-E provide better air cooling

if you definitely want an ATX board, then FT02/RV02-E or the arc midi. again, arc is better for liquid, and FT02 is better for air.

acoustically, the FT02/RV02-E will have the best CFM / db ratio since it uses 180mm fans instead of 120/140mm fans. and, having 3x180mm intake fans ensure your system will never be starved of cooling air regardless of what kind of system you intend to build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

form factor matters in terms of noise and uniqueness of the build. you ARE looking for something different after all:) besides, consider an ITX build TODAY is capable of using 16 gigs or ram(2x8gig) 2600k, and a 7970 with a powersupply powerful enough to drive everything all inside a box this size
Most of the boards I'm used to seeing are either ATX or mATX. Is there a specific kind of use for ITX boards? Or is that just another form factor to consider when buying a board?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

an ITX Llano might be sufficient for your needs. it also depends on when you intend to build the new box, ivybridge and trinity are both on their way so there is even less reason to go full ATX for a casual gamer.
That's what I'm thinking! My current build was from over a year ago before I had seriously considered what I would be using it for. I was going to build another one soon based on the unlocked Llano chips, but then realized all the goodies due to come out this year (IB and Trinity). I'm hoping that the Trinity chips turn out to be amazing so I can just do without or pick up a smaller dedicated graphics card to 'crossfire' with what's on the die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

as for how loud the system, it all depends on what you put into the box. the SG07 has a 180mm filtered intake fan which is fairly quiet on low setting. it'll provide more then sufficient cooling for any system you can build in that box:D
Knowing me, I know I would definitely overclock on my next build whether Intel or AMD. While the-little-box-that-could pictured above is extremely cute, could it handle the kind of cooling required for a decentoverclock (say to 4.0 for any chip due to come out later this year)? I am willing to cannibalize my Noctua from my current build for the next build for the cooling, but that might get in the way of a smaller case, right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequences View Post

Most of the boards I'm used to seeing are either ATX or mATX. Is there a specific kind of use for ITX boards? Or is that just another form factor to consider when buying a board?
yes ITX is simply another form factor. the size of an ITX board is equal to the the 4 standoffs closest to the CPU in a standard ATX case. here is a pic of the board in my system
613
one thing i do have to warn you is that ITX is REALLY bad at OCing:D most people cant go much above 4ghz on a 2500k and some have problems even reaching 4ghz. it's not a cooling issue. it's just on a board that small, the power system tend to be limited and it has problems supplying enough juice to the cpu. (thats why i bought the H67 instead of the Z68 board)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequences View Post

That's what I'm thinking! My current build was from over a year ago before I had seriously considered what I would be using it for. I was going to build another one soon based on the unlocked Llano chips, but then realized all the goodies due to come out this year (IB and Trinity). I'm hoping that the Trinity chips turn out to be amazing so I can just do without or pick up a smaller dedicated graphics card to 'crossfire' with what's on the die.
actually, IB is demo'ing some pretty decent gpu performance.
here is the link if you want to read alittle about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequences View Post

Knowing me, I know I would definitely overclock on my next build whether Intel or AMD. While the-little-box-that-could pictured above is extremely cute, could it handle the kind of cooling required for a decentoverclock (say to 4.0 for any chip due to come out later this year)? I am willing to cannibalize my Noctua from my current build for the next build for the cooling, but that might get in the way of a smaller case, right?
yah, like i mentioned above, ITX is not a OCing friendly form factor:D if you intend to do some SERIOUS OCing, I'd look more towards mATX and the asus gene-Z board. here is a pic i stole from the TJ08-E owners club thread
564
as you can see, it has the same 180mm fan blowing from the front. the owner of this case removed the 3.5 HDD bays to give the fan better airflow, but if you need more drive space, you can always leave the HDD bays in there. as it stands, this particular setup has a 2.5 SSD under that 3.5 storage drive that is visible at the bottom of the intake fan. it has an inverted mobo mount configuration to improve GPU cooling and it has a very clean airflow profile of front to back.(w/o the HDD cage) only complaints people have for this case is they cant mount a PSU bigger then 850w and you have to make sure you dvd drive is short so it doesn't bump into the PSU. but then again, why even put a dvd drive in the system after all your stuff is installed. if you need anything from a dvd, you can always use an external instead. i haven't installed a dvd drive in my personal system for over 10 years now since the only time i use dvd is for installing a game or system recovery:D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top