Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im buying my power supply and the guy that helped my gf parents pick out a heat sink for me {It was a suprise} told me he is testing a quad core from Amd.
He said that its a amd engineering sample running at 3.4 stock. with the ability to go up to 4.8 on air. Now normally I would ignore this but he talked with me for a good 45min and he didnt seem to be the bs type.
I dunno he had a russian accent deff out of place in texas. He said his temps with the same heat sink i have is 29 idle 32 load.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22
View Post

29 idle and 32 load

This makes me wonder....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya i bought the zaleman a couple monthes back and i dont get anywhere near those temps. But i dont know my core temp just my temp pin 0 is 37 idle and 55c max load. with my 7750 unlocked to quad and 1.46v

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
3 degrees between idle and load? Ya okay...

Wouldn't it have been something like Thuban if he really did have an engineering sample? I have a feeling he's BS'in.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we talked about thuban being the next big thing to come out.
He said that the next line of Amd's are supposed to be energy efficient.
Maybe this guy was bs but he wasn't doing it in the normal way. I have met alot of people who shoot the breeze but he seemed like he was an enthusiast talking to another enthusiast.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
He was trying to get you to come back to the store looking for these magical chips, and when you don't find them, he'll sell you the Thuban which everyone knows about.

Guys who work in PC shops are usually computer science students or failed computer science students or failed life students.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
he was full of poop.. i have the zalman 9700 on my phenom II x4 and cant hit them temps. at 3.4ghz on stock vcore i run 38*C idle, with cool and quiet i run 35*C and this being in a room thats 72*F year round. it don't matter if i have all 4 of my 120mm fans cranked up to max 110cfm at 45db or not...

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Stop bashing. It might not be an es but any good overclocker can get a 965 to around 4.8 at ambient
I'll do it on my 955 if you don't believe me

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't buy it. Somehow I just don't.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
He has a Russian accent and he works at Fry's in Texas ? Clearly the guy was just making conversation as his only other friends are back in Mother Moscow.

Don't let him near your girlfriends CPU ;p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts