Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently bought these speakers from http://www.lockwaresystems.com/swanm10b-179.html.
Overall I was pretty satisfied with my purchase until I noticed a constant hum from the left speaker socket. When I first turn it on, the hum from the speaker is almost unnoticeable. However, IN GENERAL, the longer the speakers are on, the louder the hum becomes. Turning it off for a while and turning them back on decreases the magnitude of the hum but it just repeats the process. The amplitude of the humming is somewhat unpredictable to the point where I think I hear it, but when I turn down the volume, its actually very light.
As you can see, its driving me a tad bit crazy.

A bit of background: I live in a college dorm where I guess roughly 5 rooms share a single circuit ( I know this when a floormate caused a short circuit during some shenanigans) . I have a refrigerator but I still got the hum when I unplugged it. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to request replacement speakers. I would rather not have to go through a length RMA process. Also, I'm an ECE major, so I'm not too adverse to cracking them open and taking a look, after taking appropriate precautions.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If both speakers are humming you would have a ground loop issue but if it's just one channel I suspect there's something wrong with the speakers. I'm not an EE but it could be one channel isn't grounded properly or there's something wrong with one of the crossovers allowing too much voltage ripple (assuming the speakers use passive ones).

I would RMA as a first option to eliminate the speakers.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify, its not the speakers themselves, but the left socket of the midwoofer which is acting funny. I'm not taking the RMA option off the board however. I was just wondering if the layout of the electronic components in the midwoofer could make one socket relatively more susceptible to electronic noise dumped by other appliances connected to the circuit .

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Left socket of the midwoofer?...aren't you talking about the woofer itself or is there something I'm missing. There's the driver and the hole cut in the enclosure, the only mechanical component is the woofer.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578444/how-to-repair-rca-cable This thing?

It sounds like it might not have a good connection. Do the cables plug tightly into the woofer back panel? Is the outer area of the connector (from the speaker) fitting too loosely onto the terminal of the woofer back panel?

It also could be that the PCB inside the woofer is cracked or damaged. I had an old Altec system that had a cracked PCB and just the slightest bump would either fix it, or make it worse.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
woofer.png 20k .png file

The RCA's on the speakers are fine.
I'm starting to think its the electrical system. Its plays fine during the day when few people are in their rooms, but it gets bad when people are back from class, and I imagine, using their electronics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine pick up a radio station as well. I found out it only does it where my computer desk is situated (17th floor, next to the window). I tested the speakers further into my apartment and there was no radio interference. This is what I have done so far to fix it:
- make the cables as short as possible
- use ferrite cores on all the cables
- replace the RCA cables (I know we can only replace the ones that connect from the sub to computer)

So far I have only done the first 2, and the interference has been minimized significantly. I am just waiting on the new RCA cables to get in, and hopefully that would help as well.

Anyone else have this problem, or know of fixes for it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts