Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to give a shout out to Quantum Reality for providing the red motherboard for me to tincker with
as with out it this case really wouldn't have gotten past the octagon phase.

With that out of the way, let the modding begin!

I'm thinking of making a different mod because the one I did I forgot to make a worklog, so I talked to a mod, and he said I could do this.

To start off lets have a 3d model, the pictures explain it all.

*CASE IS SUBJECT TO DESIGN CHANGE*

DAY: March 28th 2009Alright today, I manned up and cut my aluminum.
I think I may have to change the design of the case again a bit but not that much, may have to revert to the 3d design instead of my wanted design. Time will tell in this case.

Todays work:

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright so today I priced out the water cooling loop and made some changed to the design of the case. The case will not be rounded on the edges, instead it will be sort of like this > or < depending on the way you look at it.

To start todays part of the work log I started the drawings of how the case is going to be in actuality... sort of.. and started soldering some LEDs together in preparation for the big task I have when I get my acrylic and aluminium.

For today you will have to click links, I forgot to upload them to a 17" screen size.
My work book:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCN0585.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCN0580.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCN0581.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCN0582.jpg

As for my water cooling parts list I have:
CPU Waterblock - Swiftech Apogee GTZ (I think is the name)
GPU Waterblock - Either the Danger Den Tieton full cover water block, or the EK-FC280GTX
Radiators: 360GTS x2 (looks better, also would be cheaper then a GTX, and better)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 Or something better, I have yet to ask the watercooling section if that would be good, or if I need something better
Tubing: Some of that cheap 1/2" stuff (14 feet of it)
Clamps: Them cheap ones (14 of them)
Resivior: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev2

Other stuff:
PT Nuke
Green UV Reactive coolant
UV cathode things
Green cable sleeving
Distilled water

Total cost: Aproximatly 600$ Canadian, shipped to my door step
So much money, but it's for a good cause)

Why am I not going with Air cooling? well it's simple. This is a UFO, and I don't think that aliens would you stuff with a bunch of fins on it, not something so primitive as that, I think they'd probably have tubes of water or liquid of some sort going all over the place.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For todays work I went out and bought 20 LEDs a new soldering iron, 10 feet of psu cable sleeving, 10 620ohm resistors (that's all my store had), a prototype board to solder my LED's and resistors onto and a bunch of cable, 300 feet total, and an adjustable interval timer.

My bag of goodies

Inside the bag of goodies

The completed work for the day:

What I have uploaded:
My current spending of money, and a parts still needed list, the parts needed list needs to be filled out, but that will be done in due time. (Excel format)

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No picture updates today but a text update.

I'm getting sick and tied of these faulty resistors, they are starting to really bug me! same with the damn LEDs that are faulty!!!!!!

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmm today I went out and bought some aluminum sheets, and then I went out to the acrylic place, and then he said you should figure out how you are going to mount them before you do it, because making it the way you want will be very hard. So I came home and now I'm thinking about it.

I updated my Excel worksheet / log thing aswell

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright today, I manned up and cut my aluminum.
I think I may have to change the design of the case again a bit but not that much, may have to revert to the 3d design instead of my wanted design. Time will tell in this case.

Todays work:

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
erm well I am broke, so I can't do any more on this right now. Only 30 days to go I'm no where near completion, and I'm broke... great

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well only 59 days, but none the less I'm chandging my design again to look like a server rack / Folding @ Home farm rack, it will only have 2 levels but if you decide to buy this off of me as it will be for sale in about 90 days as I will most likely have no use for it. This is basically for experience and for the fun of building a case.

I have no designs yet so bear with me. I will have some rough sketches later today or tomorrow.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quicky for the final project, this will be the final design once I get my acrylic.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what I have sofar, I'm going back to my original design of having a sorta octagonal stop sign thing that flys, but never really flys.

Todays work:
Laying out the parts to make sure it'll all fit:

Top and bottom screw together:

Just for an idea of the shear size of this beast (that's 2 feet wide!) :

Oh look, it can roll...

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todays work involved going down to pick up three packs of stand offs and putting them into the case, after I drilled the holes and threaded the wholes I proceeded to put the stand offs in. And put the DVD drive in the top of the case.

Then I failed at taking a picture...

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So today I got in my watercooling stuff so I could finish off the case, today and tomorrow I'll be busting my ass on it to get it done

Hard drive mounting area (total of 8 drives possible)

Wheels, because this case will be damn heavy:

Ground clearance:

Part of the psu holding system:

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So for the last 3 days I've been cutting my acrylic and getting my radiators in and such, so here we are. Tomorrow I hope to get the motherboard thing that I'm making, I have no clue what it is called though.

Hmm, perhaps I should have had them flipped over so you could see that I cut the acrylic...

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today I finished off the major part of the case, and I must say I'm quite happy about how it turned out

I'm not done it yet, but I'll be done it soon

And as in the last post I mentioned the strange motherboard thing, here is what I was talking about:

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm waiting for stuff to get in from Petras Tech, NCIX, and xlastshotx so hopefully I'll get my stuff from them in time.

As for those LEDs I posted earilyer I don't think I'll be using them for this case, maybe a later case that I do later on that I don't need to look beautiful.

Oh my, I also need to get a power switch..

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome, today I got the waterblock for my gtx280 from xlastshotx and I got my fan grills from NCIX, I'm so stoked about this case and how it's going to look.

Here's some pictures so far:
Oh yeah and my room is messy as hell, as soon as I'm done this case I'll show you how clean I made it, and now I'll show you how dirty I made it these last few months.

Mmmm dirty room:

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm proud to say, 110 day's later it's all done, just need's to be filled up, will update the post later today with pictures.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just bleeding the air out of the system:

And the power button

Please don't mind the crappy phone pictures.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a video of the final product last night when I was bleeding it;

Photobucket Video

<!-- AME - Photobucket Video Embed - AME -->
<div%20style=
I'll have updated pictures when it's all bled.

·
OG
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 49 Posts