Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·

29,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only see them being a bad thing as long as the ISP's do not provide a reduction in price. Currently, I pay 550 DKK (about $105 USD) per month for my 40/10 VDSL line - and this is with no caps. In comparison, I could have gotten 50/5 over Coax for 400 DKK (about $75), but that was with a 200GB cap - from what I've heard the cap simply reduces your maximum connection speed once hit, but is this a good thing?

I mean, just within the last 13 days I've already managed to push more than 205 gigs of data through my pipes, and that's just from my server. I can imagine it being 220 gigs or so from the combined 4 computers on my network.

What's your opinion on the caps? Is it fair that ISP's decide to limit your bandwidth or even your connection entirely just because they can't afford an infrastructure update?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I could never go back to being capped. About 3 or 4 days before the end of every month I was greeted by a redirect from my ISP telling me I would have to buy more allowance ! It was seriously
frustrating ! I am now on a completely unlimited package with no traffic shaping at any time. However this costs me £100 a month ($160+ USD) but thankfully my girlfriends company pay half (she works from home). The cap before was 100GB in a month.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
there is no point in caps. the only thing that comes from them is more money for the telco/isp

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
tbh I don't see the point of caps, In Aus i had caps that would limit me to 14kb/s :S
Now I have unlimited, and its not like the ISP is overloaded or anything, my speed is always stable, and also, I get advertised speeds during my downloads, not just some crappy turboboost on the speedtest.

So basically, I don't see any point in caps if the ISP can handle it all, which all ISP's should.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My ISP doesn't put any bandwidth monitoring or caps

I love not being capped!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i finally moved to an uncapped 4mb/s shaped
but I used to have a 4mb/s 1GB cap!!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Comcast places a 250MB monthly cap.

The reasons?
1) To control piracy.
2) To help stop the replacement of cable television. Who wants to watch TV when they can watch the Internet?

·
Registered
868 Posts
And I guess the Comcast policy hits the nail on the head. Very few users have legitimate needs for 100s of GB a month.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post
And I guess the Comcast policy hits the nail on the head. Very few users have legitimate needs for 100s of GB a month.
Currently..... most people do not need over 250GB a month.

However, they will in a few years when TV will be delivered by Internet and not cable.

Guess where most of Comcast profits come from?

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
I feel like our internet is capped.
Unlimited bandwidth, but it slows down to ~1 mbps at night.

1 mbps is a pretty rounded, and even number.
Something suspicious going on IMO.

·

29,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by beers View Post

1 mbps is a pretty rounded, and even number.
Something suspicious going on IMO.
What kind of service? Cable?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beers View Post
At night... when?

5-10PM? If you're on cable, it because your neighbors are sharing the bandwidth as well.

If it is 11PM-7AM, it's being capped.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ode to the linux distro switchers. Caps are bad.thats like buying auto insurance and then they say you can only drive so many miles a month.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranas View Post
Ode to the linux distro switchers. Caps are bad.thats like buying auto insurance and then they say you can only drive so many miles a month.
Sounds like a lease

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a 2mb/s connection , with a 20GB download cap. Pure **** , my dad ends up paying 30$ extra every month.... 20GB is just not enough and we can't do anything... So it cost 60-70$/month for a 2mb connection and unlimited bandwidth...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts