Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's me again >.< .

My internet used to be solid and I had an old linksys wireless-b router maybe 6-7 years old

Anyways, my internet used to be fine before he moved in but now the internet constantly crashes, almost every hour then restores itself in 3-5 minutes and does it again. Yesterday the internet completely locked up, I was the only one with internet, no peripherals could connect, his computer, my moms laptop...Only my computer had access to internet, and it ironically stopped crashing.

I just got a new trendnet router, figuring maybe that was the issue. Now everyone can connect and it's faster (wireless g) but the internet keeps timing out, my moms laptop won't download these stupid drivers I need for a format and my msn signs out three times an hour.

Help?

PS Everything is hardwired except for the laptop and peripherals (psp, wireless ps3 etc.)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Could it be the modem?

Have you tried to reset it physically? Is the connection stable when you're the only one connected to the internet? (Connect your PC directly to the modem and make some testing)

EDIT: Managed to fix my problem... for now lol

I hope it works for ya bro.

Also, have you tried to use different channels?

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
Is any P2P software, especially something like BitTorrent? A lot of the cheaper routers will be brought to their knees when saturated with P2P traffic.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just tried setting a static ip. Appears to work now. No traffic brings my router down

I went upstairs and looked at the modem. First light was flashing, 4 are supposed to be on.. Bottom felt warm to the touch, maybe it was overheating.. It's still going on and off right now.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Try to unplug it for a while until it's cool again...

Once it's cool, plug it back in and check the settings. Something is wrong. What if you set it up in DHCP?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icekilla
View Post

Try to unplug it for a while until it's cool again...

Once it's cool, plug it back in and check the settings. Something is wrong. What if you set it up in DHCP?

What's DHCP.. It's been enabled the whole time apparently. Until now anyway.

When I go to the vista network map thing its computers>router>gateway>internet

between gateway and internet it appears to not be green... ISP problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts