Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other... (Please post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Quite simply im moving in two weeks, the flat im moving to only have a UK telephone line that supports ADSL (the exchange is 8mb) and that's it but it only is supported to 0.6mb, because of work I cant have that speed.

I was thinking about getting a mobile broadband router and using that (quoted 4mb, could just about cope on that) but I cant find a unlimited data plan for a 3G data plan. I've got one on my phone but you cant get any for Mi-Fi or Mobile Broadband packages.

Also fibre line install quotes are stupid, £400+ a mnth.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know my ping would kill me, but at the same time im 99% positive having a 1mb line will kill my work progress...

EDIT- Maybe I will have to quit gaming for a while
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I have no idea about internet services in the UK, but if you need the access for your work, won't they subsidise a portion of the installation fees?

Other than that, if your DSL service can't give you the speed you need, I guess you're stuck with mobile broadband. I don't know what service is like in the UK, but here in Arkansas I've had varied luck with it.

At my work we have 5 locations where we use Sprint 3G service. I will say that the service is very dependable, even more so than DSL or cable. They very rarely go down, but they are painfully slooooow. On the other hand, I have an AT&T internal mobo card in my laptop that uses 3G and it's not bad at all.

That's all I've got on the subject, but I really think if your employer expects you to be able to work from home, they should help you get the service you need.

Just my 2c worth...hope it helps,

Rich

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See the thing is I wont be there for very long, at most a year, and my work is quite close, I guess I just do more work when I get in to make myself look better aha.

I guess I'll go for Mobile and If I really miss gaming get a ADSL service for cheap.
Cheers for the help!

·
Banned
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht-kid;14227687
I know my ping would kill me, but at the same time im 99% positive having a 1mb line will kill my work progress...

EDIT- Maybe I will have to quit gaming for a while
frown.gif
Mobile broadband is a lot of simulated junk. It have to use a ARP proxy just to get onto the internet then it has to send out more roundtrips to reach its destination thats why 100mb on 3g can go in a couple of minutes. About 60 percent of that 100mb is yours actually the rest roundtrips findings servers and such.
They don't TCP/IP). Mobile networks emulate some protocols from the TCP/IP protocol suite, among them TCP, UDP and ICMP. They only do it to a certain degree and in most cases the emulation is not entirely transparent (for example, many providers reduce the quality of JPEG images when browsing Internet web pages to conserve bandwidth). To avoid applications running into timeouts all the time, many signal a successful TCP SYN-SYNACK-ACK handshake even though an end-to-end connection hasn't been established yet.

But on the plus side many of the networks got broken gateways. All the Nigerian spam mail is proof. They don't pay for internet they exploit the broken gateways

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brinscall exchange but the line runs to Wheelton (The Road saying blackburn rd if you move the map so you can see to the right).

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCBRI
only lists ADSL capable.

If you know any other sites the postcode is PR6 8HD.

EDIT- The irony of the postcode, a HD postcode but no HD streaming capable services...

Also more bad news, rang three and apparently my house is in the tiny little L shape around there that mobile broadband speed is slow -.-

HMMMMMM...

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooony
View Post

Mobile broadband is a lot of simulated junk. It have to use a ARP proxy just to get onto the internet then it has to send out more roundtrips to reach its destination thats why 100mb on 3g can go in a couple of minutes. About 60 percent of that 100mb is yours actually the rest roundtrips findings servers and such.
They don't TCP/IP). Mobile networks emulate some protocols from the TCP/IP protocol suite, among them TCP, UDP and ICMP. They only do it to a certain degree and in most cases the emulation is not entirely transparent (for example, many providers reduce the quality of JPEG images when browsing Internet web pages to conserve bandwidth). To avoid applications running into timeouts all the time, many signal a successful TCP SYN-SYNACK-ACK handshake even though an end-to-end connection hasn't been established yet.

But on the plus side many of the networks got broken gateways. All the Nigerian spam mail is proof. They don't pay for internet they exploit the broken gateways

Cheers for that, missed that post - dunno how just waking up.
Im really torn on what to choose, ive spoke to a few mates and they say their three dongles barely work :\\ Plus then for the ammount of data i'd be uploading and downloading would it be able to handle it?

HD website, image and video editor... uses alot of bandwidth.

EDIT- Oooops Double Post, Please dont shout!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Edit... apparently the information that BT had was wrong, when they re ran the line test they can do 2.5mb internet, I chose that option as I also get free calls to most buisness's aswell with part of the deal!
smile.gif

Rep+ for those that helped and cheers! actually learnt alot about mobile broadband and the different DSL specs.

·
Banned
2,902 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tht-kid
View Post

Edit... apparently the information that BT had was wrong, when they re ran the line test they can do 2.5mb internet, I chose that option as I also get free calls to most buisness's aswell with part of the deal!

Rep+ for those that helped and cheers! actually learnt alot about mobile broadband and the different DSL specs.

Get DSL its "real Internet". A lot better

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony;14242130
Get DSL its "real Internet". A lot better
DSL in the uk can vary allot

from 512K to 100mbps

really just depends on where you are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts