Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ethernet cable coming into a room and need to split it into two devices. What type of splitter do you recommend as being the best?

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124005

Your looking for a device called a hub or switch (switches are more reliable and use different technology to save network traffic.) By ethernet I'm assuming you mean Cat5 or Cat5-e. These can't be "split" like coax can. Traffic on these cables must be controlled at all times during sending and receiving thus you need an intermediate device between the two to split this connection.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
hub or switch will work if that ethernet port is coming off of a router. if it is not coming off of a router then you can purchase a router from Newegg, best buy, officemax etc to share the internet connection between your devices.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All my rooms are coming off a main router. I just had one opening left for this room but have more than one device to run. Most likely they will not be running at the same time.
Is a switch better than a hub?

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
You can get a switch to share the connection and get both devices on at the same time. a 4 port switch is pretty cheap now a days.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
A switch is just what you need.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The reason is it will control the traffic better than a hub. A hub will simply send all the data to every device connected to it, while a switch will kind of sort the data and send it to the right device

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
So a switch is better than a hub? Any big reason?
Yes. When a packet is sent over a hub, it is repeated to all the computers connected to it, and then they decide if they need it or not. Switches, on the other hand, can pick and choose where to send the packets to. This not only increases bandwidth when you have more than two computers attached (your router counts as a third), but it also prevents packet collisions that occur when two computers try sending data at the same time.

·
PC Gamer
1,776 Posts
you should go to a computer store and buy a 5 port switch thats what we use, our bigpond modem and a 5 port switch very easy to setup, you just have to plug all the Ethernet cords in and vola its done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts