Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HP9540us with Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.50G which means I can't watch 1080p videos. How do I overclock the CPU in this laptop?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Only certain high end laptops can be overclocked. Odds are yours can not be. You could try Software overclocking but i do not recomend it.

Also laptops are not made to handle the extra heat Overclocking brings into the game.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That Guy is right I would strongly discourage attempting to overclock a laptop. For one it will be a lot more trouble then it's worth to find the necessary software. Secondly you won't be able to overclock enough to make a big difference without overheating it.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcology
View Post

how do I watch 1080p videos then?

Upgrade to a dual core? get a desktop?

Buy a 1080P TV and a Bluray?

Go to a friends house?

This is overclock.net
Not Stock.net

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
If it came with the nvidia 8600m gt graphics card, you should be able to watch HD movies, despite the lower clock speed of your CPU--I can watch full HD movies with my cpu at stock 2GHz, and I never go above 35% cpu usage when doing so--since the graphics card is doing the decoding. I think your graphics card should do the same, though I don't know of any differences between mobile and desktop gpu's. It will also depend on the drivers you are using for your graphics card--only from a specific version and onward was the gpu used for HD video decoding. Might be something to look into...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i got NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS but I heard in order to play 1080p you need CPU at 2GHz minimum so my CPU is only 1.5 and I was wondering if I can just overclock it to 2GHz without getting desktop.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I agree the GPU may make it possible. Also where it says 2Ghz minimum does it say dual core? If not it likely means 2Ghz on the P4 scale. If so your 1.5Ghz is more.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcology View Post
yea i got NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS but I heard in order to play 1080p you need CPU at 2GHz minimum so my CPU is only 1.5 and I was wondering if I can just overclock it to 2GHz without getting desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile View Post
I agree the GPU may make it possible. Also where it says 2Ghz minimum does it say dual core? If not it likely means 2Ghz on the P4 scale. If so your 1.5Ghz is more.
I thought so as well--though when clocking my 2180 to 1.5GHz--which should be almost identical to performance on the OP's CPU since it's just the mobile version of the pentium dual-cores--I get very choppy playback, even with GPU decoding. 2GHz runs just fine though...

I noticed when I play a full HD video, that VLC player never uses more than 50% of the CPU--meaning it or the codecs used are not multi-threaded. I would think that programs and codecs that are multi-threaded might get one all the way to no lag when playing an HD movie. I'm looking more into this myself. Some people recommend CoreAVC for nvidia-based graphics rigs since it supports CUDA, though I tried it, and I didn't get good playback. Plus, it's not free. Still looking into it...

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Sorry for the double post. OP, I think I have your solution.

Use media player classic, download the FULL version of the K-lite codec pack here: http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Co...k_download.htm

And follow the regular installation prompts. I guess the basic version lacked multi-thread video decoding. I successfully played a full HD 1080 video without any glitches/coppyness with my CPU at 1.5GHz. My GPU use was around 45% at the same time, sometimes it would only be around 15%, so it is using GPU acceleration, which the previous basic version of the codec pack did not support very well. It should work equally well with CUDA-enabled GPU's, as long as you're using the 184+ drivers (I think...). Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts