Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try out Slackware, but I couldn't be arsed to mess with partitions and bootloaders and such, so I decided to go with what I had - a Slackware 13.1 iso and Windows Virtual PC.

Problem: When I try to install with hugesmp.s or huge.s, it just gives me "Invalid or Corrupt Kernel Image".

Not sure what to do here. The ISO is good - MD5 checksum checks out. Perhaps it's because of the type of VHD I used (expanding)?

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEC_42 View Post
I wanted to try out Slackware, but I couldn't be arsed to mess with partitions and bootloaders and such, so I decided to go with what I had - a Slackware 13.1 iso and Windows Virtual PC.

Problem: When I try to install with hugesmp.s or huge.s, it just gives me "Invalid or Corrupt Kernel Image".

Not sure what to do here. The ISO is good - MD5 checksum checks out. Perhaps it's because of the type of VHD I used (expanding)?
I really wish I could be of more help but although I know Slackware quite well, I know less than zero about Windows Virtual PC, and my gut reaction is mistrust. So setting that aside here's what I'd do for starters. Just to be absolutely certain, I'd go to any one of the mirrors here http://www.slackware.org/getslack/ and navigate to the appropriate (32 bit or 64bit) non-iso directory and the "kernels" subdirectory and DL just a kernel and try that. That way you're absolutely certain that the kernel is not corrupt.

Given your diligence that probably won't work but since the error message claims that is the fault, it seems to me required to nail that down.

It may be that since Slackware uses "udev" that it does not see an expanding VHD as a usable root device. Is it possible to try another type?

BTW, why not partition and do it right so you can use proper video drivers et al? If that doesn't suit you why not start with a flashdrive install of slax-remix? At least it would be free from windoze stuff.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I know nothing about Windows Virtual PC. However, I have used VirtualBox and that has booted everything that I have gave it without any problems.

Sorry, but if the .iso checks out, then I don't know what could be wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem. Trying to boot on slackware 13.1 x86 ISO in Virtual PC. Same error.. Slackware 13.0 works well.

I'm on Win7 Pro x64

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by plop28 View Post
Hello,

I have the same problem. Trying to boot on slackware 13.1 x86 ISO in Virtual PC. Same error.. Slackware 13.0 works well.

I'm on Win7 Pro x64
Quite frankly I don't think anybody in their right mind would use Virtual PC without having heard of the alternatives or if you're forced to use it (e.g. at work with a strict program installation policy). Use VirtualBox or VMWare. VirtualBox has an open-source version and works very well even with Windows.

It's not a real fix but Virtual PC isn't very well supported for anything other than Microsoft made OS'es.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, however I have had this same issue with Slackware 13.1 (Core i7 930, Virtualization Tech enabled in BIOS). I found that trying to use the ISO directly would consistently result in the "Corrupted Kernel" messages. One way around that is to download & install WinCD Emu, and mount the ISO to a virtual drive. Then you can right click on your Virtual Machine->Settings->DVD Drive, select "Physical Drive" and pick the drive letter to which you mounted the ISO.

Unfortunately it is all for naught, as the installer still crashes. On another forum, for installing Ubuntu on Virtual PC, I found advice to add "vga=791 noreplace-paravirt" at the end of the boot string. This gets the Slackware install slightly further, but it still crashes.

Thus, the suggestion to use VirtualBox is the best one. After installing VirtualBox & setting up a virtual machine, I had 0 problems installing Slackware to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts