Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably wrong forum, but I assumed networking & security included physical security

I'm planning on opening a shop and wanted to get 2 or 3 cameras and setup a box to capture video. Problem I'm having is finding the right camera.

Day/Night
Decent Resolution
Network
Microphone

I don't think the camera uses much bandwidth so Wireless might be ok

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
What's your budget for the setup?

My friend has been working on setting up his security setup at his business, and I've been helping him on and off. He bought a cheap IP cam off ebay for ~$90, and it works, but I would say you definitely get what you pay for quality wise. While the camera itself seems pretty solid, the picture leaves A LOT to be desired.

Also the other thing we noticed, 2 cameras will run great off a wifi network, when we added the third there was noticeable lag. I don't know if we were saturating all the bandwidth, or what, but with 2 cameras it was fine.

Depending on budget, you may be able to get away with a kit solution that would work out well. I honestly have no experience with a pre-built kit though, so I can't really recommend any. If having a CCTV network is a possibility, then that would probably offer you the best cost for performance ratio.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16881124146

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
i wouldnt go with wireless as there are intermittently with them, i have one wireless camera on my network at work and it only works 75% of the time. We are using an avigilon camera system running about 60 camera's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
budget is about 150-250 for each camera, I would like to keep the cameras on lan so I just have ethernet cables all over instead of cable for each thing(power/video/audio)

I may just go with the regular old cameras. I don't need a dvr since I'll have a dedicated computer for the cameras and more.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
how long are you wanting to keep information or long are you required to keep the information?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
2 standard definition cameras recording 15 frames a second will record 500gb in about 30 days, give or take. If you want audio, 20 days. Sony makes some of the best IP cameras out their right now. It depends a lot on what you are going to do with it, if you need a all in one solution, pan-tilt, etc..

My old work used 36 netgear audio/video 8p8c ethernet cameras on a 24 hour loop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts