Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything on the god phone disappeared. No reason AT ALL. It was working fine, next thing I know - every app, every picture, every song. Gone.

I pull open iTunes to go restore my backup. Guess what happens? The second I plug in the phone, it wipes out my backup! WHAT?! I can't even use iTunes to restore my programs either!!!! All of the programs are in iTunes but they won't go back on the phone!

So now I have to go through the App Store and restore the 30-40 different apps/games?! What is this?!
 

·
I like computers
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
That's harsh man. That's why I want a old Palm smartphone. When you sync with your pc everything is backed up automatically. And you don't have to worry about losing apps as you buy a serial key generally, so even if you lose things you just have to re-download and use your purchased key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,526 Posts
I heard there was an iPhone virus going around lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Totally odd. I'm assuming you rebooted your rig? If not, then funky things like that can happen. Secondly, maybe an iTunes reinstall is in order. Lastly, if you find a bunch of odd nuances pop up here and there, then a wipe and OS reinstall may be in order. My HP laptop started wigging out on my one day. iTunes wouldn't burn CDs, etc. Little stuff like that, so I wiped the machine, started over and voila, everything is working again.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post
That's harsh man. That's why I want a old Palm smartphone. When you sync with your pc everything is backed up automatically. And you don't have to worry about losing apps as you buy a serial key generally, so even if you lose things you just have to re-download and use your purchased key.
Um - THATS THE PROBLEM.
The iPhone does this, and I plugged it in and it completely wiped out my backup to make a backup of the current state of my phone - meanwhile I wanted to backup to the previous one!

Quote:
Totally odd. I'm assuming you rebooted your rig? If not, then funky things like that can happen. Secondly, maybe an iTunes reinstall is in order. Lastly, if you find a bunch of odd nuances pop up here and there, then a wipe and OS reinstall may be in order. My HP laptop started wigging out on my one day. iTunes wouldn't burn CDs, etc. Little stuff like that, so I wiped the machine, started over and voila, everything is working again.
What would reinstalling iTunes do? the data on the PHONE is gone, not the computer.
 

·
I like computers
Joined
·
7,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
Um - THATS THE PROBLEM.
The iPhone does this, and I plugged it in and it completely wiped out my backup to make a backup of the current state of my phone - meanwhile I wanted to backup to the previous one!

What would reinstalling iTunes do? the data on the PHONE is gone, not the computer.
Yeah, but Palm doesn't sync as soon as you plug it in, a dialog pops up before syncing and you can choose to restore from there. Still, don't really know what your options are now, but hopefully you get it figured out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by videoman5 View Post
I heard there was an iPhone virus going around lately.
source?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post
source?
Not one on me, but my friend with a jailbroken iPod touch had similar problems, and he said it was a virus. So take what I said with a grain of salt.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So yeah, I got to go through the AppStore. All of the apps are ON MY COMPUTER, but iTunes won't let me manually transfer them.

Quote:
Yeah, but Palm doesn't sync as soon as you plug it in, a dialog pops up before syncing and you can choose to restore from there. Still, don't really know what your options are now, but hopefully you get it figured out.
Sounds like someone over there actually has a brain cell or two.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I simply can't get over this. Everything. Just gone! No reason either!

Basically, I was using my iPhone to browse the web. I put the iphone down, and it went into its auto lock mode like normal after 5 minutes. I pick it back up, enter the code, and when I look at the home page - everything is GONE.
I've had it happen before, but it ended up respringing the springboard and all the apps ended up in mixed order on like the 3rd page or so. This isn't the case, because even if I browse into the iPhone files - its all gone!

EDIT:
And I love how it happens NOW - the 1st day of my 2 week vacation in New Jersey at the beach. This just really really sucks because - while I can deal without the games and unnecessary stuff - but my contacts and pictures are gone too! I'm baffled. The only things not erased are my jailbreak apps which - surprise - aren't visible by iTunes. I'm beginning to think it was iTunes behind this when I last plugged it in.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im confused now. I install some of my commonly used apps like Twitterific - and my data is still there. Like my login information and stuff. What the hell happened to this phone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,589 Posts
I ALWAYS had nothing but problems when I jailbroke mine sadly. What was the most recent app you got from Cydia or whatever they use now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,777 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by videoman5
View Post

I heard there was an iPhone virus going around lately.

The Iphone is a Virus period lately. The whole damn thing!

Sorry to hear this Omega, That blows man. Thats why I just love my LG shine!

On another note. Raped by apple again! Tisk Tisk Tisk
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by Vostro
View Post

I ALWAYS had nothing but problems when I jailbroke mine sadly. What was the most recent app you got from Cydia or whatever they use now?

PDA Net I think. It lets me tether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,202 Posts
And, Apple will probably shrug if you contact them since it's been modded. Rough one, man... Sorry to hear it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Are you serious? You see that little box that's on iTunes that says "Automatically sync with iTunes.". Uncheck that box and it won't automatcally sync...

LOL

n00b

Quote:


Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

PDA Net I think. It lets me tether.

http://help.benm.at/ go to that on safari with your phone and install the settings. Tada! Tethering without jailbreaking.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by HappycoreDJ
View Post

Are you serious? You see that little box that's on iTunes that says "Automatically sync with iTunes.". Uncheck that box and it won't automatcally sync...

LOL

n00b

http://help.benm.at/ go to that on safari with your phone and install the settings. Tada! Tethering without jailbreaking.

what are you 5 years old?
I know about that option in the preference but maybe, if you had a mature enough brain, you'd figure that maybe I like having the lhone backed up when I plug it in. But we're not mature enough to think are we. Instead we act like a little kid on Xbox. OCN is not Xbox, so get lost.

And that second option I've already tried and it failed to work for me. So thanks but no thanks, PDA Net works perfectly fine for me and I never anywhere asked for another suggestion. Good reading skills.

Quote:


Originally Posted by UnAimed
View Post

Try system restore on your computer to get the backup file back

I don't think system restore would put back those kinds of files. Thought system restorr only resets things like registry and program files. I could try that.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top