Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have gone through great deals of trouble to get to where I am now, and for the life of me, I cant figure out why my apps arent working.

I tried SSHing to the iPod and setting up Webmin for fun, to see what i could do with it, only to be met with an error about perl not being complete. So I spent an hour (mostly waiting) while I configure and compile perl (after installing about a dozen other CMD line packages and libs) only to be met with a similar error. Typically, it complains about SOCKS. I have tried 3 different applications, using 3 different installation methods, and NONE of them will have anything to do with socks. Webmin asks me to verify that perl is properly installed..

I go here and download the 'native' perl for iphone and it works, but still no sockets support. Perl itself works fine. Anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work? I have a number of perl based applications, many of which use sockets.

EDIT

uname -a

Quote:
Darwin iTouch 9.4.1 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.1: Mon Dec 8 21:02:57 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.37~4/RELEASE_ARM_S5L8720X iPod2,1 arm N72AP Darwin
iPod touch Gen2 Jailbroken.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Sounds like an error with your original jailbroke process.

You should try restoring and jailbreaking again. Can't promise anything but on my iPhone I had similar problems and a new jailbreak seemed to fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But with just certain apps, which I actually had to install? I cant even compile apache for the ipod touch, says it cannot run C compiled programs, and thats after installing GCC. I have been looking around, and it seems that the only fix for this is to install your apps using Cydia or Installer, which works fine if the app is available, which its not (for the 2x firmwares). I installed some sort of perl library hoping it would work, but no such luck. Seems there is this thing called 'toolchain' that im yet to figure out. Its as if it requires some sort of special care when compiling or something.

Forgot to mention, codesigning has been disabled in the shell, so I can execute non SDK, and non Mac code.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

But with just certain apps, which I actually had to install? I cant even compile apache for the ipod touch, says it cannot run C compiled programs, and thats after installing GCC. I have been looking around, and it seems that the only fix for this is to install your apps using Cydia or Installer, which works fine if the app is available, which its not (for the 2x firmwares). I installed some sort of perl library hoping it would work, but no such luck. Seems there is this thing called 'toolchain' that im yet to figure out. Its as if it requires some sort of special care when compiling or something.

Forgot to mention, codesigning has been disabled in the shell, so I can execute non SDK, and non Mac code.

I'm not too sure, but like I said I had trouble with programs I installed. It had something to do with whatever I originally did to jailbreak it. Some file was corrupt or wasn't copied and caused a whole lot of problems.

I've never really heard of anything as bad as what you're saying but basically I would first try to rejailbreak and see if by any chance it sorts itself out. That's the easiest method that I can think of.

Not sure how long you've been an iPod Touch user but iPod/iPhone is nothing but a huge mess when it comes to jailbreaking, lol. I'm always having problems.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1 View Post
I'm not too sure, but like I said I had trouble with programs I installed. It had something to do with whatever I originally did to jailbreak it. Some file was corrupt or wasn't copied and caused a whole lot of problems.

I've never really heard of anything as bad as what you're saying but basically I would first try to rejailbreak and see if by any chance it sorts itself out. That's the easiest method that I can think of.

Not sure how long you've been an iPod Touch user but iPod/iPhone is nothing but a huge mess when it comes to jailbreaking, lol. I'm always having problems.
This is my first one, and if I can get these sockets to work, ill be breaking new ground thats for sure... trying to boldly go where no pwner has gone before lol..

Maybe a new JB is in order. Thanks for the tip. I will most likely wait until they perfect the method before I try again.. I had epic failure when I tried this the first time..

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

This is my first one, and if I can get these sockets to work, ill be breaking new ground thats for sure... trying to boldly go where no pwner has gone before lol..

Maybe a new JB is in order. Thanks for the tip. I will most likely wait until they perfect the method before I try again.. I had epic failure when I tried this the first time..

Yeah. If you're doing it in Windows I always have an error at first. If you do it on OS X it's perfecttttt. I love it, lol.

You know, now that I'm not being rude for no reason, you're actually a cool guy. Sorry for being so ******ed a few weeks ago

1 - 8 of 8 Posts