Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this while browsing the net earlier and digging through a few nagging US copyright pages that were bothering me. Might be interesting to anyone that owns a jailbroken iPhone with Cydia.

It's a letter from Saurik (the creator of Cydia) to the US copyright office. I found it rather interesting. Anyone not a fan of Apple will surely like it.

Quote:
Hello. I am the developer of Cydia, the first application installed onto Apple's devices after they have been jailbroken. Cydia acts as an open competitor to the Apple App Store: anyone can put applications up. These applications are distributed from any number of "repositories": anyone can run one, and end users can add them to their copy of Cydia. In this manner, Cydia acts as a web browser: no one has centralized control over what can and cannot be distributed.

All of this is, itself, based on an existing "industry standard" known as APT: an " open source" mechanism for distributing applications that has been in use by computer operating systems such as Linux for well over a decade. Even Cydia is open source: anyone can get access to its source code in order to either understand or modify it.

Cydia is now installed on 1.6 million devices worldwide, at least a quarter of which are within the United States. Please note that this number is not based on download counts or "unique IP addresses", both of which drastically overestimate the number of users an application has. This number is based on a survey of unique device identifiers (a mechanism that Apple encourages developers to use to track devices) over the last month.
Source

EDIT: This was posted just prior to Saurik's announcement of the Cydia store.

1. Ran a search and didnt find anything
2. This is about a month old.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
hmm....interesting

This number is based on a survey of unique device identifiers (a mechanism that Apple encourages developers to use to track devices) over the last month.

·
Premium Member
22,343 Posts
What I got from it was that he wasn't going to have time to battle apple in court over it, so he's hoping the copyright office will squash anything apple tries to pull.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More or less the same thing I pulled out of it. Saurik is about to make jailbreaking your phone more feasible, and doesn't want Apple causing trouble, so he's using the US copyright office as a mediator in the hopes that they'll keep the company from doing something to attack him.

·
Registered
764 Posts
fantastic case, well written, although goes on a bit.

and if it wasn't for Jailbreaking, i wouldn't have bought my iPhone. the App store apps are all childish and useless. over 50% of the apps i use daily (excluding original included) are from Cydia: video recording, instictiv shuffle, TuneWiki, iBluetooth, Categrise, SBsettings, QuickGold, the list goes on.

i wish saurik and all other pro-jailbreakers luck. the law Apple trying to pass is simply insane. who are they to restrict a mobile phone i've bought?

same wishes go to the Hackintosh company that's fighting legal battle against Apple.

·
god loves ugly
4,253 Posts
I like my iPhone, but if I didn't know about jailbreaking, I wouldn't have gotten one. It's a nice phone, but completely locking me out of what I can do is ridiculous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts